Mira Leung - Terracotta Warriors | Golden Skate

Mira Leung - Terracotta Warriors

russell30

Final Flight
My pupil loves Mira Leung Terracotta Warriors LP.

But I am not sure where the music comes from or whether it is a mix of different pieces.

Is it from the film Qin Yong (1990) (which also means terracotta warrior)

If anyone can help so I can buy this for my pupil, greatly appreciated.:biggrin:

thumbyskates

Rinkside
I can find out for you - I had a synchronized team use this music a few years back - Mira actually saw us practice at 8-Rinks with it and ask for it. Let me see what I can dig up.

Edited:
Found it - our coach had to beg and plead to buy the CD when she saw the show live. Here is there website: http://www.terracottawarriors.org/english/index.html

Perhaps you can email and buy the CD as well?

Last edited:

russell30

Final Flight
Many Many Thanks:)

The composer seems to be Hao Weiya (but as its a chinese CD I cannot seem to purchase the CD on a trusted site, can purchase on chinese sites but I dont think I would trust it.

Incidentally Hao Weiya was the same composer of Zhang/Zhang Yellow River concerto Lp from 2008:)

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
OK Thumbyskates--you're from Canada. Perhaps you know what version Joannie Rochette used for her 2006 Olympic long program? (Autumn Leaves and L'Hymne A'Lamour?) I can't seem to find it on amazon or iTunes.

russell30

Final Flight
I can help you there Blue dog

Its by Pierre Porte (Harmony of Hearts CD)

Van Loc is also on there used by Tugba Karademir SP for Olympics

Nuages En Montagne is also on there used by Duhamel and Buntins LP from last year Vancouver Olympics is also on that CD

Last edited:

russell30

Final Flight
If anyone can help me out on Yan Liu's Short program from the 2006 olympics, be much appreciated too:

(It doesnt seem to be by Mandai King, and definately not titled boundless travelling or valley of red river)

Many Many Thanks:)

The composer seems to be Hao Weiya (but as its a chinese CD I cannot seem to purchase the CD on a trusted site, can purchase on chinese sites but I dont think I would trust it.

Incidentally Hao Weiya was the same composer of Zhang/Zhang Yellow River concerto Lp from 2008:)

I think the Yellow River Concerto was by a different composer actually. In its original form, it is quite an old piece, from 1939 (originally by Xian Xinghai according to Wikipedia), but it was edited and updated by other composers during the Sixties. Michelle Kwan used it for an early competition piece, when she was twelve or thirteen, which is how I came to look it up.

My suspicion is that music about the TerraCotta Warriors would have been composed more recently, because they weren't discovered until the 1970s (though of course they're actually very ancient). You've gotten me interested in this new piece. I had never heard of it, and I'll have to look it up!

Lori Nichol was wonderful about finding unusual music for Michelle to perform. I think her "Taj Mahal" program had music by an Azerbaijani composer, and "Lyra Angelica" is a pretty obscure composition by a twentieth-century British composer, I think. And Nichol used chamber music for "Song of the Black Swan," which is an interesting variant from the usual opera extracts, symphonic works, or movie sound tracks that so many skaters use. (I'm sorry Nichol doesn't seem to be as innovative these days.)

Good luck finding the music, Russell! I'm sure it will make a wonderful program for your pupil.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I think the Yellow River Concerto was by a different composer actually. In its original form, it is quite an old piece, from 1939 (originally by Xian Xinghai according to Wikipedia), but it was edited and updated by other composers during the Sixties. Michelle Kwan used it for an early competition piece, when she was twelve or thirteen, which is how I came to look it up.

My suspicion is that music about the TerraCotta Warriors would have been composed more recently, because they weren't discovered until the 1970s (though of course they're actually very ancient). You've gotten me interested in this new piece. I had never heard of it, and I'll have to look it up!

Lori Nichol was wonderful about finding unusual music for Michelle to perform. I think her "Taj Mahal" program had music by an Azerbaijani composer, and "Lyra Angelica" is a pretty obscure composition by a twentieth-century British composer, I think. And Nichol used chamber music for "Song of the Black Swan," which is an interesting variant from the usual opera extracts, symphonic works, or movie sound tracks that so many skaters use. (I'm sorry Nichol doesn't seem to be as innovative these days.)

Good luck finding the music, Russell! I'm sure it will make a wonderful program for your pupil.

Russell, PM me your email address. I can email you the MP3 files of Yellow River. It might be in there somewhere!