Worlds Favorites Coming Soon | Golden Skate

Worlds Favorites Coming Soon

The Pairs

Pang and Tong v. Savchenko and Szolkowy - Can there be another to upset?

MEN

Takahashi v. Chan - Several others could upset these two. Who?

LADIES

Mao Asada v. Yuna Kim - Can there be another to upset?

The Ice Dance

Virtue and Moir v. Davis and White - Is there another team to replace one of them?

the Newbees

Who will make a statement that he/she/them are here and not going away?

russell30

Final Flight
The Pairs - I know it is their first time in but Volosozhar/Trankov have been training very well and could cause a strong surprise.

Mens - Takahiko Kozuka is very strong. I would have had Chan as favourite and Dai and Takahiko as his nearest challengers.

Ladies - Well Miki Ando was favourite really, as Yu Na has not performed this season and Mao, even though doing better latter half of the season, Miki is the one to beat

Dance - I agree with you V/M and D/W are the ones to beat, but from a source I have been notified that Pechalat/Bourzat are looking very good indeed, the SD will be very interesting and the pressure will be on to perform level 4 on all elements.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Pairs - I don't think Pang and Tong have a medal locked. I think Savchenko and Szolkowy will get one for sure, but Kavaguti and Smirnov and Volosozhar and Trankov could round out the podium.

Men - I think Chan's a lock for a podium spot and Takahashi PROBABLY is but Joubert could surprise. There's also Amodio and Verner, who are unpredictable, and dare I say Bradley, if he nails both quads?

Ladies - I agree with the above poster that Miki is the favourite but of course Mao and Yu-Na can't be counted out.

Dance - I can't see anyone beating VM or DW.

I think Richard Dornbush might make a statement that he's not going away. :) Especially if he finishes above Bradley. Maybe Ross Miner too. Umm.. Duhamel/Radford and Moore-Towers/Moscovitch as well, maybe Yankowskas/Coughlin.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Pairs: The top 4 will most likely be a random order between S/S, P/T, K/S & V/T,but I think Savchenko/Szolkowy will be the one's to beat.

Men: I believe this is Patrick Chan's to loose. But the Japanese guys will give him a run for his money. Honestly, I only see the Canadian and Japanese flag on the podium. BUT, ice is slippery.

Dance: This feels sort of predictable with V/M & D/W in the top 2 spots, with P/B in 3rd. I will be surprised if otherwise.

Ladies: I have no clue, but Miki seems to be the favourite, but if Yuna is in shape she will be hard to beat. Hopefully the Americans can get their act straight and regain the 3 spots.

essiejane

Rinkside
Ladies: I have no clue, but Miki seems to be the favourite, but if Yuna is in shape she will be hard to beat. Hopefully the Americans can get their act straight and regain the 3 spots.

I think you mean impossible.
I think Yuna can fall and still win easily. Of course, it's up to Mao and Miki {or Alissa and Rachael -- go US!!} to put their best out and if they can put up higher scores.
My predictions?
1. Yuna
2. Mao
3. Alissa

{Miki has been known to falter under pressure, Carolina is, well, Carolina, and I think that Rachael has reached her points limit at around 180.}

Ravensque

On the Ice
I don't know.......I have an ominous feeling about V&M. I think because of her injuries, and all the secrecy surrounding them that they are "toast" for this season. I sure as heck hope not, but all this secrecy does not bode well.....any comments on that, or am I just being paranoid for them. There was also the article on Islam and Paul being alternates that made me think ......"hmmmm".

alithia

Final Flight
Since V/M are having a press conference as dance team leaders on Tuesday, I just can't see them not going to Moscow.
If they show up they will either win it or come in second, even if they're not on top form.It's too early in the quadrennial, it's the post olympic season and their not competing all season hasn't hurt them that much since they haven't really shown any vulnerabilites,except for what hapenned at 4CC.
The rest of the teams had either changed their SD, D/W, P/B B/S come to mind right away, or have had problems with it (C/P) but V/M are virtually unurt by all this.

Pairs : S/S,V/T,P/T
Dance: V/M,D/W,P/B considering both reputation and this years results.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
the Newbees

Who will make a statement that he/she/them are here and not going away?

Gachinski(17), absolutely; Great confidence and presence on the ice. 5th at Euros, 0.52 behind Kevin Van Der Perren. He will be among top ten. I guess the Russian federation think so as well… or they would have sent Menshov, 7th at Euros after some mistakes in SP(4th in FS).

Ira Vannut, BEL(16) also very consistent with "no nerves" (7th at Euoros).

Kadlecova/Bidar, CZE(16/20) a surprisingly good new pair(7th at Euros).

Maybe Misha Ge(19), the guy who was born in Moscow, grew up in China, practice inTashkent/Lake Arrowhead and competes for Uzbekistan. 12th at 4CC and 6th at Asian winter games.

If you count Ilinykh/Katsalapov as newbees… then YES!

Many hopes for the Swedes Joshi Helgesson(17) and Alexander Majorov(19).

A Newbee is a competitive skater who has never skated internationally in a Senior Division competition, or if there Federation held a Nationals, they were not expected to podium, but did.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
A Newbee is a competitive skater who has never skated internationally in a Senior Division competition, or if there Federation held a Nationals, they were not expected to podium, but did.

:eek:hwell: didn't know that