Thread: Who Can put the Pressure on last years medalsist ladies Champions?

Hybrid View

Who Can put the Pressure on last years medalsist ladies Champions?

I think this shall be an interesting thread. We have many medalist who repeat the following years as even if it is a different color. This year I hope we have one or two new medalist on the podium.

About the pressure, how big of a factor can the audience be, as well?

It shall be interesting to see if we have people who haven't been on the podium after skating well.

Miki, Mao, and Yuna dominated the Worlds podium in the last Olympic quadrennial. Yuna's been there four out of four, Mao three out of four, and Miki two out of four. Joannie Rochette, Laura Lepisto and Carolina Kostner each medalled once in the last four years.

Given how Miki and Mao have been doing this season, there's a reasonable chance they'll both be on the podium. (I'm unsure about how the recent disaster in Japan might affect their performance, though.) Yuna can't miss the podium either, even if she "bombs" like Worlds 2007 or Worlds 2010. The "safest" bet is to expect all three--Miki, Mao and Yuna--to be in the podium in some order. But then figure skating's never been that predictable.

So who's the dark horse?

Since it's happening in Europe, I'd guess the skating gods would place Carolina Kostner on the podium. She alternates between disaster and success season by season, so it's only logical she'll be on the podium this year. She's got another major headcase chasing her tail though: Alissa Czisny. Those two are the most logical choices to pick for "new medalists" on the Worlds podium.

I'm almost certain it will be Miki, Mao and Yu-Na in some order, but I think Rachael Flatt is another dark horse, if she nails everything and one of the three favourites makes mistakes. I actually think there's more chance of her being on the podium than Alissa. Cynthia Phaneuf is another dark horse, although she didn't skate that well at 4CC.

Custom Title
    Don't forget Murakami! What she lacks in unorthodox jump technique she makes up for with spunk. She is fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by doug_log View Post
    Don't forget Murakami! What she lacks in unorthodox jump technique she makes up for with spunk. She is fun to watch.
    If Miki, Mao or Yuna do not skate well enough to medal I would look at Alissa and Kanako.

Kanako won a GP gold and a bronze at the GPF and another bronze at Natls. So far in her first season as a senior she has shown good consistency and the abilty to win medals. Sometimes the younger skaters don't feel the nerves as much and with lower expectations they are not under as much pressure.

I look for Kanako to have a top 5-6 finish, but if a podium spot opens up I would not be surprised if she claimed it.

I think this young Lady is a good competitor under pressure and that can never be overlooked.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I actually think there's more chance of [Rachel] being on the podium than Alissa.
    Well, of course.

Shoe Diva
    Despite my complete lack of interest in skating at the moment, I do ponder this question from time to time... I agree that Miki, Yuna and Mao will in most likelyhood stay atop the podium so I'm much more interested in seeing if Caro, Alissa and Rachael can rise to the challenge. Which one will be in the hunt if one of the top three falters? It sounds improbable, but I think Alissa out of the three has the most potential to challenge. Caro is simply too wacky and Rachael is so Rachael. I do, however, believe its put up or shut up time for the US Ladies. This is their best shot at getting the points to secure three spots next year and I sincerely hope that they don't blow it....

missed you, KW! sorry to hear your lack of interest in the sport. I miss you!

There's no way Virtue and Moir are going to be off the podium unless they withdraw or Tessa's injury has got WAY worse since 4CC (which I don't think is the case). I mean they still won the SD at 4CC over Davis and White.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    There's no way Virtue and Moir are going to be off the podium unless they withdraw or Tessa's injury has got WAY worse since 4CC (which I don't think is the case). I mean they still won the SD at 4CC over Davis and White.
    Virtue and Moir will win if they skate clean imo. I hope both they and Marlie skate well and that Marlie wins this one, but I don't see Voir placing below them unless they make a drastic error somewhere. Yes, they have not competed all season, but their SD at 4cc seemed to be very well received. Their coaches know what's up.

Tripping on the Podium
    Davis & White had big mistake on twizzles, if they're both clean I think Virtue Moir would probably place second.