Who Can put the Pressure on last years medalsist ladies Champions? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who Can put the Pressure on last years medalsist ladies Champions?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Love both versions of the song (my parents had several Allan Sherman records, and fortunately I now have an Allan Sherman "best of" CD).

Wishing Alissa all the best at Worlds!

Not only is the thread centered on predictions, the humor it generates is so sophmoric. I suppose it's necessary for lonely fans. JMO. ;)

There is nothing sophomoric about Mathman's song! It's Ph.D. level at least.

And isn't it fun to have a predictions thread again? It means we're looking forward to Worlds. We were afraid we wouldn't have a Worlds at all this year, and now the skaters are heading into the home stretch for it. Splendid!

I must ask, though...are we sure sure sure it's Beethoven? Somehow I feel it's part of the Dance of the Hours by Ponchielli, from his opera La Gioconda. It's in the movie Fantasia, with the elephants and hippos dancing in tutus.

Yup...just confirmed over at YouTube University. Voici:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ILbnHhAzk

(Special thanks to SF for the explanation of the Chinese characters referring to Alissa. Talk about synchronicity! Hope it only describes her past, not her future.)

Joe, here's something for you: skating that really is dancing, because the skater is also a ballerina. Katherine Healy trained in both pursuits and was a professional ballerina in I think Vienna for some years. She's now married to Peter Burrows and coaches. She was a protege of John Curry as a child skater. When Sasha Cohen came along, I thought of her as Katherine Healy with jumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_QhuJrDVW0

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty

I must ask, though...are we sure sure sure it's Beethoven? Somehow I feel it's part of the Dance of the Hours by Ponchielli, from his opera La Gioconda. It's in the movie Fantasia, with the elephants and hippos dancing in tutus.

l]

Thanks Olympia, I will correct my post and credit Ponchielli.

I credited the revised lyrics being by "Math C. Man."

In case you wondered the "C" is for clever. :)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I can't imagine how someone could take the post I made earlier and draw the conclusion that I'm against Czisny or I want her to fall. :confused: Whatever, man

I really can't make it any clearer, or say this in a nicer way: Czisny's career has been a true roller-coaster. Up one time, down the next, then up again. For that reason, I cannot know what to expect from her any more.

I hope Good Alyssa shows up at Worlds, but I think I have enough evidence (e.g. her competitive history) to be doubtful. But I hope it happens.

ETA: For those that don't know, I'm a "he".

P.S. MM: You forgot Tanith Belbin ;)

RD - you are just so EVIL to have the audacity, the unmittaged gall to look at past results and come up with anything other that raving praise for fan favorites on this non-fan specific board. Shame on you! I know you haven't been quite the same since Kimmie's demise but you must let it go...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
RD - you are just so EVIL to have the audacity, the unmittaged gall to look at past results and come up with anything other that raving praise for fan favorites on this non-fan specific board. Shame on you! I know you haven't been quite the same since Kimmie's demise but you must let it go...

*facepalm*

R.D.

Record Breaker
RD - you are just so EVIL to have the audacity, the unmittaged gall to look at past results and come up with anything other that raving praise for fan favorites on this non-fan specific board. Shame on you!

I know, I'm so evil to have said that on the Alyssa Czisny fan board...oh wait, I mean Golden Skate board. :p

^ Here's how I see it. R.D. is skeptical about Alissa. Well, that's his right.

R.D. is skeptical about Mirai and Rachael. Well, that's his right.

R.D. was skeptical about Kimmie Meissner and Emily Hughes. Well, that's his right.

R.D. was skeptical about Sasha. Well, that's his right.

R.D. was skeptical about Michelle...Hey, wait just a dern minute, now!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

R.D. was skeptical about Kimmie Meissner and Emily Hughes. Well, that's his right.

not only is it his right, he is normally RIGHT. (I hate that)

And isn't it fun to have a predictions thread again? It means we're looking forward to Worlds. We were afraid we wouldn't have a Worlds at all this year, and now the skaters are heading into the home stretch for it. Splendid!

(Special thanks to SF for the explanation of the Chinese characters referring to Alissa. Talk about synchronicity! Hope it only describes her past, not her future.)

Joe, here's something for you: skating that really is dancing, because the skater is also a ballerina. Katherine Healy trained in both pursuits and was a professional ballerina in I think Vienna for some years. She's now married to Peter Burrows and coaches. She was a protege of John Curry as a child skater. When Sasha Cohen came along, I thought of her as Katherine Healy with jumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_QhuJrDVW0
Thanks for the link, Olympia

I've seen Healy at least 5 times LIVE with the Ice Theatre of NY. By the time I saw her, I believe both her skating and dance were past her prime, but she was still amazing. That Black Swan variation was super in the youtube, and much better than Bessmertnova"s which I also looked at. I didn't know Curry was mentoring her. What a Pairs team they would have made! but more like a Pas de Patinage.

prettykeys

Medalist

not only is it his right, he is normally RIGHT. (I hate that)
But you see, that is why I despise that position; and even more so, I despise when people vaunt the fact that they are a skeptical non-fan. Because BY DEFAULT you are going to be more right than wrong, especially in this unfortunately fickle and slippery sport. You try saying skeptical things about 20 of the top skaters/teams in the world in a figure skating discipline and the probability naturally tilts in your favour that more will disappoint or fall short of greatness than do well (let alone do great.) Because greatness is rarer than mediocrity.

I don't see why it is a respectable position at all. What good ever came out of cynicism? And what if Alissa Czisny or any other skater had that same attitude? Everyone (especially us fans) stand to lose. Because if they crunched the numbers, they'd realize that they are more likely to fall a few times or botch a spin or bore the audience or finish off the podium or come out with a costume that displeases some observers, etc. than do everything right.

But that's why I personally believe any and all of them deserve support and encouragement. Rather than taking the cowardly way out and wanting to be "right".

But you see, that is why I despise that position; and even more so, I despise when people vaunt the fact that they are a skeptical non-fan. Because BY DEFAULT you are going to be more right than wrong, especially in this unfortunately fickle and slippery sport. You try saying skeptical things about 20 of the top skaters/teams in the world in a figure skating discipline and the probability naturally tilts in your favour that more will disappoint or fall short of greatness than do well (let alone do great.) Because greatness is rarer than mediocrity.

I don't see why it is a respectable position at all. What good ever came out of cynicism? And what if Alissa Czisny or any other skater had that same attitude? Everyone (especially us fans) stand to lose. Because if they crunched the numbers, they'd realize that they are more likely to fall a few times or botch a spin or bore the audience or finish off the podium or come out with a costume that displeases some observers, etc. than do everything right.

But that's why I personally believe any and all of them deserve support and encouragement. Rather than taking the cowardly way out and wanting to be "right".

What a wonderful way to put it, Prettykeys.

Snoopy

Rinkside
There's no way Virtue and Moir are going to be off the podium unless they withdraw or Tessa's injury has got WAY worse since 4CC (which I don't think is the case). I mean they still won the SD at 4CC over Davis and White.

Davis & White had big mistake on twizzles, if they're both clean I think Virtue Moir would probably place second.

Snoopy

Rinkside
as for ladies.. I hope to see on the world podium: Carolina Kostner, Mirai Nagasu, Mao Asada, in no particular order.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The mistake by Davis wasn't that big. It wasn't like she didn't complete the element it was just flawed a little. Against VM DW must be 100% perfect in every single way.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Oh yes, that will put a lot of pressure on them. But for once I hope they do it!