Easter Portraits! | Golden Skate

Easter Portraits!

Is this a child model posing for your portfolio, or are you doing portraits professionally now?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
MM - I've been a freelance professional since high school. I got my business license a few years ago. It's not paying the bills yet, though, so I'm working a "real job". I just am not financially secure enough to try and make this my full time work. Maybe if I were married and there was a second income. (I'd link to my site here, but, well, it's a business site so it's not allowed lol... but I replied to your email and I think my signature attached so you can check it out there).

oh and no her family is a long time paying client. though, her mom is one of my best friends, so they were an easy find. I'm getting noticed through word of mouth though. Shot graduation photos last fall and now will shoot their wedding this fall! I've had some family portraits of people I don't know at all lately, too, and that I didn't personally hound them to try my services. Facebook is awesome for that.

Last edited:
Toni, how wonderful! I deeply admire good photographers, for all that I don't own a camera. Portraits are my favorite art form, I think, from painters (Eakins, Sargent, Rembrandt) to photographers. It also explains why I love dolls so much. While you're smart to keep your day job, it's so great that you're also maintaining and progressing in your photography. Most of my artistic friends do the same thing. I have one co-worker at our office whose "moonlight profession" is singing. You can imagine he's not going to be able to support himself on it anytime soon, but he devotes himself equally to both jobs and is equally superb at both. I think that being "bilingual" like that enriches both sides of someone's life.

Oh, here's a photographer's question for you: if you could have any skater or skaters to "sit" (so to speak) for a portrait, whom would you choose? (You don't have to choose current skaters; there's always someone like Marina Klimova!) And would you shoot in black and white or color?

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Oh, here's a photographer's question for you: if you could have any skater or skaters to "sit" (so to speak) for a portrait, whom would you choose? (You don't have to choose current skaters; there's always someone like Marina Klimova!) And would you shoot in black and white or color?

Wow, I don't know for a sitting/portrait type of session (instead of my hundreds of photos from nationals) I'd love to do a photojournalistic style of photography of Kurt on the Browning ranch like he used to have done during his competitive days... But I'd also love to do a session with someone like Scott Hamilton or Ryan Bradley. Someone who would be fun during the session. Laughter is so much fun to capture. I shoot full digital (it's cheaper) so it'd all be shot in color, but if one was screaming for the depth and beauty of B&W I could convert it.

What fun! Thanks for letting me see these, Toni.

Didn't think about digital vs. film. Of course you'd use digital! Well, as I told you, my acquaintance with cameras is minimal. But I love the effects when the camera is used by someone who knows what's what--like these pictures.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Cool. I'm starting to get into photography myself, although I do not, and will not, pursue it as a profession. Just a hobby for me...What do you shoot with?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Cool. I'm starting to get into photography myself, although I do not, and will not, pursue it as a profession. Just a hobby for me...What do you shoot with?

Canon Rebel XT. I have several lenses though. Figured I'd buy the expensive glass first and save up for the latest greatest body later.

and these days I do my photography more as a hobby, too. with the economy as crappy as it is, people don't splurge for photos very often.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Canon Rebel XT. I have several lenses though. Figured I'd buy the expensive glass first and save up for the latest greatest body later.

That's the EXACT same thing I did. :yes:

I started with the Rebel T2i but just recently upgraded to the 60D. Love it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
That's the EXACT same thing I did. :yes:

I started with the Rebel T2i but just recently upgraded to the 60D. Love it.

The body I want is the 5D Mark II - 2700 bucks easy... *sigh*

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ah. Great camera but I heard the Mark III version is on the horizon. Quite an insane price though. Personally, if I'm going to spend that much, I'd rather it be a lens, and pay more reasonable prices for the bodies, which are replaced far more frequently anyway.

I think I will stick with crop-sensor cameras myself. I prefer the extra reach they give you with telephoto lenses.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ah. Great camera but I heard the Mark III version is on the horizon. Quite an insane price though. Personally, if I'm going to spend that much, I'd rather it be a lens, and pay more reasonable prices for the bodies, which are replaced far more frequently anyway.
That's why I built up my lens collection first. They are compatible with the newer bodies. And I'd be fine with the Mark III coming out because then the Mark II will drop drastically in price, and there's nothing wrong with its technology.

I think I will stick with crop-sensor cameras myself. I prefer the extra reach they give you with telephoto lenses.
I plan on keeping my Rebel XT for my backup/travel camera. Mark II will only be used for my professional work... ok I lie it'll still come with me on the other stuff too, as it's better lowlight than the body I have now... but it won't be my everyday pack around. It's better for my portrait work anyway.