CoP scoring of jumps from 2010 Olympics | Page 6 | Golden Skate

CoP scoring of jumps from 2010 Olympics

ciocio

On the Ice
And its possible that had Plushenko or Takahashi been there they would have lost to Lysacek there too as they did in Vancouver with the exact same program- as Lysacek did not change anything about his program from 2008-2009 to 2009-2010 jump wise layout wise.

I don't see how. It means that Plushenko's score would have decreased from 258 to less than 242. Let's not forget that Evan's score at the Olys was 14 points higher than in 2009.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Why would Evan change? He won '09 Worlds, then the GPF and then the Olympic Gold Medal.
Anyone can get lucky once, but when you win three times in a row you are not lucky but the acknowledged King of your sport.

Evan is the current King of Men's figure skating. The CoP coronated King Evan and he will hold that title until 2014.

Enjoy, enjoy. :)

A lot of this is my point just in different words. 100% pro Lysacek uberfan words.

I don't see how. It means that Plushenko's score would have decreased from 258 to less than 242. Let's not forget that Evan's score at the Olys was 14 points higher than in 2009.

I am going to say there was Olympic inflation and there could have been inflation of lysacek score at 2009 worlds so he could beat him.

One time Champions - Hughes, Lysacek have every right to retire from competitive skating. They've met their goals. Sorry Plush, you can't even this up. However, you did win one Oly. If you want to make it a fourth try for a second Oly gold in 2014 by all means go for it. I'm with you.

Spinal problems which I know all too well will keep Tim from skating.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I've never enjoyed a skater who stops and does a bunch of poses/footwork in one place... Plushenko did a lot of that back in the day. As does Elvis Stojko (who is the least creative skater out there, he makes Kevin Van Der Perren look like an artistic genius!). I've seen Evan skate in person several times. I don't prefer Evan 2010 to Evan 2005 or 2006 or even 2008... he did everything so frank carroll calculated. That formula finally paid off, but at what cost? Frank produces zombie skates, IMO. Yeah they're near perfect but they have no heart.

I read somewhere that Yagudin was wearing his heart on his sleeve, that is why he was so expressive and emotional. And I agree 100%. Lambiel also. Kwan also. Browning also. With them it is obvious. With many skaters it is not such obvious. Evgeni for example and many more skaters. But when they skate you know it is them and none other, they leave a piece of them on the ice. Skaters are like radio frequencies, you need to tune your antenna to sync with them. Stojko has a frequency I ll never get but even if his skating is the least fav of mine aesthetically, I can see his personal signature, especially in the early programs.Either you tune in with Stojko or Weir, you know that what they show can hardly be skated the same way by anyone else. And then I have a category of skaters they dont have any frequency, they take a program and execute it like we take a recipe and make it a cake.

mot

On the Ice
Skaters are like radio frequencies, you need to tune your antenna to sync with them.

This is so true. We all have our favourite skaters because their performances / styles / whatever somehow resonate with us personally. It is hard to find a skater universally resonates with just about every fan, and I am not surprised if a performance which is so dear to me means nothing to someone else. It's all personal; it is perhaps more to do with my personal history, experiences, cultural background, nurtured tastes, etc, than the skaters themselves.

As there have been a lot of talk about Evan in this thread, I thought I'd contribute a small piece of information - I think Daisuke Takahashi is one of the biggest fans of Evan amongst Japanese skaters, at least. He often names Evan as one of his arch-rivals whose style he admires. He lists Evan as his favourite skater who has a good balance between technical proficiency and an ability to perform and project, along with Stephane, Jeff Buttle, Tomas Verner and Michal Brezina. (Hence, I believe, his comment at the last Worlds - 'I miss Stephane and Evan.') I wonder if he syncs with something Evan's got that some posters here cannot?

janetfan

Match Penalty
This is so true. We all have our favourite skaters because their performances / styles / whatever somehow resonate with us personally. It is hard to find a skater universally resonates with just about every fan, and I am not surprised if a performance which is so dear to me means nothing to someone else. It's all personal; it is perhaps more to do with my personal history, experiences, cultural background, nurtured tastes, etc, than the skaters themselves.

As there have been a lot of talk about Evan in this thread, I thought I'd contribute a small piece of information - I think Daisuke Takahashi is one of the biggest fans of Evan amongst Japanese skaters, at least. He often names Evan as one of his arch-rivals whose style he admires. He lists Evan as his favourite skater who has a good balance between technical proficiency and an ability to perform and project, along with Stephane, Jeff Buttle, Tomas Verner and Michal Brezina. (Hence, I believe, his comment at the last Worlds - 'I miss Stephane and Evan.') I wonder if he syncs with something Evan's got that some posters here cannot?

Besides being a great skater Dai also seems to be a genuinely nice person.

Dai surely respects Evan's hard work and discipline. As a skater Dai knows that at Evan's height many things in skating were harder for him.

Good luck to Dai at Worlds and thanks for all of the the interesting information you have been posting about Japan and the Japanese skaters.

I have a question maybe you can answer.
I notice that as Kanako is announced and skates out to center ice she always places her right arm/hand over her heart.

I have seen Mirai do this too but only once in a while. Do you know if this has any special significance?

mot

On the Ice
Besides being a great skater Dai also seems to be a genuinely nice person.

You shouldn't read only what I write about Daisuke, as I am a self-proclaimed über-fan of him and thus seriously biased! :p
In his own words, he's lazy, self-centred, negative, moody, short-tempered, etc, allegedly...

Good luck to Dai at Worlds and thanks for all of the the interesting information you have been posting about Japan and the Japanese skaters.

Nothing but my pleasure. I am glad you find them interesting.

I have a question maybe you can answer.
I notice that as Kanako is announced and skates out to center ice she always places her right arm/hand over her heart.

I have seen Mirai do this too but only once in a while. Do you know if this has any special significance?

I am not sure if it's a cultural thing but that's what I also do when I try to calm my nerve, let's say before making a speech or something. I thought it might be universal, no?

ciocio

On the Ice
Why would Evan change? He won '09 Worlds, then the GPF and then the Olympic Gold Medal.
Anyone can get lucky once, but when you win three times in a row you are not lucky but the acknowledged King of your sport.

Evan is the current King of Men's figure skating. The CoP coronated King Evan and he will hold that title until 2014.

Enjoy, enjoy. :)

I thought Evan was coronated OGM and he will hold the title forever and ever, not only until 2014. ;)

Joe, your way would make this sport even harder to be a spectator sport. I'd think in the way of your idea, the skaters who are good artistically would lose some interests on what they are doing too. People like Shawn White type (what was that boy's name? too lazy to check) would be more and more. Jeremy Abbotts would be less and less. It might be worse in Ladies. I'd think without music, it'd be useless to have pretty costumes. A sport? yes. But what a boring skating will that be?
Bluebonnet, do you realize the huge amount of posts that cover the Tech on this Board? There is hardly any gushing like there used to be (praise to be). The fans who love the artistic side of figure skating will still be able to appreciate that portion in the LP. It will be a formidable segment of the championship. Long before you were born there was figure skating without music and without sequins. This would be a test of Elements and show more sport for the lovers of sport as it was for the original competitor to show his skill in basic figure eights,

You are correct in saying it would be boring for those who only want to see movement to music, but there are a few others who are impressed with the Elements, and that would be fair for the skaters who work hard on the elements all years. Some Ladies, btw, are quite adept with the elements. They are sportspeople.

I think, you would be more correct to mention the possible loss of revenue due to changing the present system, which could happen with the lovers of ballet arms.

I could do without the present SP because I am at a loss as to what it brings to the sport. I am aware that it is a mini LP and that's enough for some people to get excited about emotional value it may bring. Operative word: "may".