CoP scoring of jumps from 2010 Olympics | Page 4 | Golden Skate

CoP scoring of jumps from 2010 Olympics

Regarding Evan and Evgeni. Who else displayed the best skate for the Vancouver Gold?

The fans, as I see it are down on Evan for not attempting a Quad. I also saw Dai winning a bronze on partial credit.

I think the winner of any figure skating competition is the one who earns the most points according to the CoP. The CoP was used in 2010 Olympic Championships. Perhaps those disappointed with Evan's win should speak more about the CoP then Evan, but he didn't win the championship on partial credit. By the way - Who should have won instead of Evan?

For Quad Lovers Rally for the ISU to pass a Rule that in the Senior Division, all male competitors must attempt a Quad. That would be a hoot, and the list of entrants would drop significantly.

As it is Evan joins the next USA fanfare of the Olympic Gold Medalists.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Surely you don't think that the questions Bob Costas asked to Lysacek were the questions suddenly popped up on air and never ever have been rehearsed before, do you? Do you think that Lysacek didn't have any pr persons from USFSA, USOC, or NBC to coach him for the proper answers?

I think those answers were calculated, prepared, rehearsed, of course perfect answers under those kinds of circumstances. But they didn't mean much of anything.

Here is Evan being interviewed by Bob Costas. I see nothing wrong with the way answered or handled himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6m7CjKFB_o

Being gracious may not "mean much of anything" to some people but I think it counts for alot.

As US Skating later said about the interview, "Evan was spectacular" :agree:

To think Costas got the answers he wanted sounds naive.
In this interview and particularly the other I saw Costas was hoping to bring back the old "coldwar" controversies with hopes of a ratings boost but Evan was having none of it and took the high road.

Last edited:
Yes but in DwS he didnt skate, did he? I havent seen any of Dance with Stars, so all I want to comment is that my first encounter with Lysacek live was in GS 2010 and I had no intention not to like his skate. The ambiance was really cheerful and Vancouver was so past by then. But my impression as objective as it can be is that he skates well executed or not programs even in shows with the minimum of his own personal touch in them.

On Dancing with the Stars Evan got through the required steps with competence, but did not show any musicality or personality. (Since most of the "stars" couldn't dance at all, he still came in second. :) ) My point was that on this thread some people said that Evan did not try to do his best at the Olympics. I think that is the one thing that Evan always does do, bring his best effort.

Evan trying to do Michael Jackson, on the other hand, is like a fish trying to fly. He did better as Don Jose in Carmen.

Off topic, but another skater who can't dance a lick is Brian Boitano. I don't know why, but he just can't seem to move his body to the music.

On the Stars on Ice tour Evan is well received because he is serious about his performances. His show performances are just as focused and determined as his competitive performances.This is a nice change of pace in SOI because so many of the men's acts are comical, featuring a lot of posing and mugging and not much skating.

seniorita

Record Breaker
In Europe we still like gimmicks like Weir´s showmanship and Sasha split jumps:biggrin:
Sasha btw did also a number I hadnt seen before which is too ...sexy!Even for girls:laugh:
Carmen of Evan was really nice, the comeback from sp was huge. I dont remember when I took the wrong turn after this.:cool:
I think Blades meant that sometimes the best of someone is not overall the best?This is what i got anyway. Though he had skated better than Olys, if this is what you mean, including Worlds 2009 and one 4cc , I dont remember which. He also didnt skate his best in a Gp, in GPF(even if he won) or Nationals. In Vancouver he skated clean but I dont know if he was at his best, but neither were the other skaters so there is no point.

Surely you don't think that the questions Bob Costas asked to Lysacek were the questions suddenly popped up on air and never ever have been rehearsed before, do you? Do you think that Lysacek didn't have any pr persons from USFSA, USOC, or NBC to coach him for the proper answers?

I think those answers were calculated, prepared, rehearsed, of course perfect answers under those kinds of circumstances. But they didn't mean much of anything.

I've gone back and listened to Evan's conversation with Costas (thanks, Hernando!), and I stand by what I said. He might have been prepared with talking points, but you can't "rehearse" an interview unless you rehearse the interviewer's questions. The timing of the questioner's unanticipated phrasing will always throw you, and you'll say something boneheaded or not apropos, or you'll stumble, or you'll repeat yourself with certain phrases, the way politicians do with sound bites they want to implant in listeners' minds. Evan did none of that. He's smooth, composed, measured, and interesting all the way through, with better verbal timing than many a trained public speaker. Keep in mind that Costas isn't one of those reporters whose repertoire consists of "What was going through your mind as you...." He's a very articulate and well-informed commentator, and he was quoting specific remarks of Evgeny's that were almost designed to goad Lysacek into stumbling or admitting something. But Evan just parried and maintained his cool. Whether you believe he should have won the gold or the silver in Vancouver, that interview was an impressive feat.

Frankly, and you all know how much I admire Michelle, both for her skating and for her academic achievements, I've never heard her sound this cogent in an interview. This guy rocked.

seniorita

Record Breaker
To be honest if I had just won the gold medal in Olympics I would speak about flowers and bees to Mr Costas (does he have a greek root? his name is greek 100%) and let the silver and below competitors pulling their hair out:)

(does he have a greek root? his name is greek 100%)

His dad is Greek (his grandfather immigrated from the island of Kalymnos). That's where he gets his good looks from.

His mom is Irish. That's where he gets the blarney.

(Not saying his mom isn't a beautiful Irish lass...)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Thanx Mathman :) I m surprised he is not called Sponge(instead of Bob) Costas,:biggrin: Kalymnos is super famous for their sponge men, the sea divers who take out the natural sponges, i dont know if there is a special name for this profession. Men there have that nickname.:laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Off topic, but another skater who can't dance a lick is Brian Boitano. I don't know why, but he just can't seem to move his body to the music.

That was very evident whenever he'd try something with a beat and skate against Kurt Browning in the pro competitions. Stick to opera Brian (and Evan!) it's more suited for ya! :laugh: (though I did like his Wild Elephants, hopefully he was poking fun at himself with that program and not thinking he was seriously cool :laugh: )

Someone once said, comparing Boitano to Orser, that Boitano was better in the air, while Orser was better on the ice. I always found Boitano rather stiff-spined, which is comparable to what Toni and Math are saying. I admire Boitano for many reasons, but yeah, for "dance" I look elsewhere. Certainly in that regard Browning would win the day every time. Or Lambiel.

Last edited:
Someone once said, comparing Boitano to Orser, that Boitano was better in the air, while Orser was better on the ice. I always found Boitano rather stiff-spined, which is comparable to what Toni and Math are saying. I admire Boitano for many reasons, but yeah, for "dance" I look elsewhere. Certainly in that regard Browning would win the day every time. Or Lambiel.
That is what I believe figure skating was meant to be. Modern Figure Skating has little to do with blade-to-ice as was the original intent. It is now how many turns in the air, and in the same direction a contestant wearing skates can execute? Not unlike Skate Boarding except for the background music.

Indeed,it was Browning, Lambiel, and Curry, Kwan, and not many others, if any, had blade-to-skating and with panache!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Regarding Evan and Evgeni. Who else displayed the best skate for the Vancouver Gold?

The two men who had the best skating skills and choreography at the event - Takahashi and Kozuka. In terms of technical merit they were just as good too and got severely lowballed by the judges. Takahashi had 8 Triples and the best footwork of the competition. Kozuka had a Quad, 7 Triples, and the best spins of the competition from anyone not named "Stephane Lambiel".

That is what I believe figure skating was meant to be. Modern Figure Skating has little to do with blade-to-ice as was the original intent. It is now how many turns in the air, and in the same direction a contestant wearing skates can execute? Not unlike Skate Boarding except for the background music.

Indeed,it was Browning, Lambiel, and Curry, Kwan, and not many others, if any, had blade-to-skating and with panache!

Coincidentally they are among my favorite skaters. Not much surprise there, I suppose. It doesn't bother me that what I love in skating is so rare. As long as there are even a few of this kind of skater around, I'm happy.

I love your comparison to skateboarding!

The two men who had the best skating skills and choreography at the event - Takahashi and Kozuka. In terms of technical merit they were just as good too and got severely lowballed by the judges. Takahashi had 8 Triples and the best footwork of the competition. Kozuka had a Quad, 7 Triples, and the best spins of the competition from anyone not named "Stephane Lambiel".
BOP - I seldom look at protocols so you may be correct. It seemed to me that Evan skated clean, which to me is paramount in the Senior Division (Falls are for practice). And Plushenko was also clean but a bit wobbly here and there. I don't remember Dai and Taka and that makes me think they must have been faulty. But normally, I do enjoy them both moreso than Evan and Evgeni.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joe - Takahashi fell on his quad attempt. Other than that his LP was pretty near flawless as I recall. He definitely nailed the showmanship part of the program, though. Definitely the most fun to watch.

Aside from the top three, I don't remember the competition. All I really remember is being floored at 11pm when it was announced that Plushenko was second. My jaw dropped. I still feel Evan skated for second believing it was Evgeny's to win. And I really believed that so long as Plushenko stayed on his feet he'd win. Knew the quad would keep Takahashi from first, I think the right folks made the podium... maybe not in the right order though...:confused:

^^^^
Toni - Thanks for reminding me of Dai's Fall. I knew there was something that made me think, he just killed his gold. I do not remember Takahito at all. As for Evan and Plush, I was just as shocked as everyone else. After his boring 2006 Gold, I had lost some interest in Plush, and thought Dai had a chance here. Shame on me, but I didn't even think of Evan on the podium. It all changed as I watch the comp. It could have been Plush or Evan. The Protocols will tell more. I don't like reading them.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Dai had two jumps ur'ed (the quad and one of his triples in the 3-3 combo). He actually placed fifth in the LP, behind Lysacek, Plushenko, Lambiel and Chan.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The UR call on the combination was definitely wrong. Oh boy here we go again. Takahashi's toeloop technique is such that he leaves the ice early and pre-rotates far less than normal. If you look at his rotation in the air, it was equal to or greater than similar jumps that were not called as underrotated. His 3Toe in combination was only UR if you don't look at where he actually took off on the ice.

His Quad was borderline when taking that into consideration as well. I don't think it deserved to be called, when you look at how the rules used to treat slightly UR jumps as a full half-turn short in terms of the scoring. Takahashi's Quad was a solid attempt as far as a fall goes - tons of speed going in, lots of height, and a lot of distance covered. He deserved to win even if that element was given 0 points, though (Kozuka's LP would then be better in my eyes, but Takahashi had a lead from the SP).

Last edited: