Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Editorial: Stop Hating on Ice Skating

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Do many, many people really not respect the sport because they think the results are fixed? Or is it about the actual endeavours on the ice including the sparkles and dance element?
    Honestly, I think both are a factor. But once people start to get the impression that results are pre-determined, you've got problems- MAJOR problems.

You're correct in saying I only follow the ladies discipline. But to use that fact to assume I "have certain issues" with men skating? If that were the case, I wouldn't have even bothered to attend Stars on Ice. If you read my reviews of the shows, you'd be aware that I enjoyed many of the male performances as much as, or occasionally even more than, many of the female ones.
    Last edited by R.D.; 04-14-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Honestly, I think both are a factor. But once people start to get the impression that results are pre-determined, you've got problems- MAJOR problems.
    I think you are right and both perceptions are a problem, I just seem to hear the pre determined result argument less than the dance/sparkles/girls sport arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    You're correct in saying I only follow the ladies discipline. But to use that fact to assume I "have certain issues" with men skating? If that were the case, I wouldn't have even bothered to attend Stars on Ice. If you read my reviews of the shows, you'd be aware that I enjoyed many of the male performances as much as, or occasionally even more than, many of the female ones.
    Sorry i haven't read your reviews of SOI, I have limited interest in show skating and since SOI is never coming to side of the world I tend to skip those posts. I just recalled discussions (probably years ago now ) where I remember being intrigued by your reasons for not watching men skate and, not meaning to put words in your mouth, but the impression was that it was uncomfotable, or some other permutation of it somehow not being "right" that men skate. Apologies if i'm mis-remembering. I know the conversation was before you attended SOI.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    here's something apros pos, courtesy of skatebuzz...and one of the best things to come out of Battle of the Blades :

http://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArt...1-bf336e95a27a

Go Georges Laraque !

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Speaking of Blades of Glory--the film actually poked fun at the whole "sport vs. art", and consequently, "masculine vs. non-masculine" dichotomies in skating. As annoying as Will Ferrell can be, the end message could be interpreted as skating is more than the sum of its parts. We can welcome skaters who have a more masculine style, just as readily as we can welcome those with a non-masculine style. Also, I don't think that masculine automatically equals more athletic, or non-masculine as more artistic. Kurt Browning to me exudes masculinity in many of his performances, and he is certainly artistic. Irina Slutskaya is certainly non-masculine yet athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Kurt Browning to me exudes masculinity in many of his performances, and he is certainly artistic.
    and he didn't get that way over night. It took him till 93 before his artistry is what set him apart. Before then it was just how he could laydown the athletics.

Custom Title
    Historically, figure skating was more beauty pageant than sport, so that certainly plays into the "easy" perception of figure skating. Also, this kid can't bench 200 lbs? That's just embarrassing. He needs to work out.

I love figure skating, but I got so much second-hand embarrassment reading this article. It's similar to what cheerleaders say, "lifting girls and doing cartwheels all while wearing a miniskirt is hard. Therefore, cheerleading is a sport!" Sport =/= physical strain on your part.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Historically, figure skating was more beauty pageant than sport,
    I would say that historically, figure skating was more of a technical sport about subtleties of blade control skills than a blatantly athletic sport. It didn't take an especially athletic body type to do good school figures so much as a lot of training.

As freestyle skills became more demanding and more important, the athletic demands increased, but it was valued to make the athletic moves look effortless, so the appearance of ease that the best skaters achieved belied the actual effort and skill involved and made the decisions appear pageantlike from the outside.

I love figure skating, but I got so much second-hand embarrassment reading this article. It's similar to what cheerleaders say, "lifting girls and doing cartwheels all while wearing a miniskirt is hard. Therefore, cheerleading is a sport!" Sport =/= physical strain on your part.
    considering the strain the girls at my high school put on their bodies with the tumbles and tricks and high energy that they had to sustain throughout an entire football game (they didn't get a half time, they had to go out and do their routine and then go back to running around cheering) I'd say their sport is just as difficult as any others (gymnastics, figure skating, cheerleading, track, etc). I was not a cheerleader, and was actually one of their targets, but I can't deny their athletic ability.

If the skaters are all so wimpy, and that it's embarassing to think about/watch, I suggest finding something else to pass the time watching. I'm sure the "reality" of WWF wrestling will make a better impression. :sheesh:

Custom Title
    Cheerleaders can go injure themselves vaulting each other in the air, but it doesn't make cheerleading a sport. Straining and dangerous, yes, but a sport? No. At best, it is an auxiliary activity. By definition, cheerleading isn't independent; if football didn't exist, there would be no need for any girls to wear short skirts to cheer the football players on. Cheerleading's main purpose is to titillate males during halftime shows, not show any athletic ability. Gymnastics, rhythmic gymnastics, and figure skating on the other hand are actual sports. Their main purpose is to athletic excellence. Futhermore, they are independent. If every other sport disappeared, those three could still continue to exist.

The author wrote an article, basically saying that figure skating is a sport because it is so physically demanding to him, and he's so tired after workouts. Simultaneously admitting not being able to bench 200 lbs isn't helping his argument. One could simply ask him, well, what if you're just wimpy? He should have said he could squat 300 lbs or something.

By definition, cheerleading isn't independent; if football didn't exist, there would be no need for any girls to wear short skirts to cheer the football players on.
    So they do athletics but they aren't athletic? Come again? Going back to the high school - and college - cheerleading, teh athletics, not the hormones, are what pushes the girls AND GUYS to excell in what they do. They are demonstrating athletic ability. If "rythmic" gymnastics is a sport, and figure skating is a sport, cheerleading is no different. It still takes athletic skill and abilitity to be great.

Custom Title
    No, a sport is a competition between 2 or more people or groups of people. Cheerleading doesn't do that. Yes, there are cheerleading competitions, but the main purpose is ra ra go team!

No, a sport is a competition between 2 or more people or groups of people. Cheerleading doesn't do that. Yes, there are cheerleading competitions, but the main purpose is ra ra go team!
    perhaps sideline cheerleaders, but high school teams and collegiate are training for the competitions (all the way to nationals) they cheer to fund their sport.

Custom Title
    The cheer competitions are auxiliary to cheerleading's true purpose: to entertain and rally. If there were no cheer competitions, nothing of value would be lost because the girls could still shake their booty at the halftime show. If there were no football halftime show, then they would cease to be cheerleaders. Whom would they cheering on? It would simply be modified gymnastics.

It would simply be modified gymnastics.
    there you have it, then, they are athletes.

Custom Title
    Sport is a competition. Cheerleading is an entertaining activity. Cheerleading could only be considered modified gymnastics if cheerleading existed independently of football halftime shows.

Can't have it both ways.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast