Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Editorial: Stop Hating on Ice Skating

Modern Figure Skating is ACROBATICS ON ICE. It is not ballet on ice, and the general public does not see it as Grand Arte but is it a form of Dance. However, competitive skating's 4 minutes challenges the skaters to do rotational tricks; maintain a good line of posture; and be musical as a solo dancer.
    It's not easy but neither is the 2.5-4 hours of a marathon run. Both sports have limited appeal to the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Sport is a competition. Cheerleading is an entertaining activity. Cheerleading could only be considered modified gymnastics if cheerleading existed independently of football halftime shows.

Can't have it both ways.
    Well dictionary.com would disagree, it defines sport (amongst other things as):

"An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc."

Note the word "often" and not "only" or "exclusively".

It also defines it as:
    "diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime".

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    ...fishing..."
    But can fishermen bench press 200 pounds?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    So they do athletics but they aren't athletic? Come again? Going back to the high school - and college - cheerleading, teh athletics, not the hormones, are what pushes the girls AND GUYS to excell in what they do. They are demonstrating athletic ability. If "rythmic" gymnastics is a sport, and figure skating is a sport, cheerleading is no different. It still takes athletic skill and abilitity to be great.
    I'm a city slicker and not knowledgeable about cheerleading, but I feel that I must leap (so to speak) to its defense. What I've seen of competitions on TV show something that's plenty athletic. In fact, I believe that cheerleading leads to more injuries (and more serious ones) than any other sports for girls. It is a form of gymnastics--and a demanding one--whatever its origins. Since we are skating fans, we should be used to dealing with ambiguity about such things.

Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    By definition, cheerleading isn't independent; if football didn't exist, there would be no need for any girls to wear short skirts to cheer the football players on. .
    Actually I am pretty sure I have seen cheerleading competitions on TV, independent of football and the objective was to WIN.

I believe I saw it on ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    my dad can... but then he's also a hunter, and you gotta be able to pack out a ton of moose every year...

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I'm a city slicker and not knowledgeable about cheerleading, but I feel that I must leap (so to speak) to its defense. What I've seen of competitions on TV show something that's plenty athletic. In fact, I believe that cheerleading leads to more injuries (and more serious ones) than any other sports for girls. It is a form of gymnastics--and a demanding one--whatever its origins. Since we are skating fans, we should be used to dealing with ambiguity about such things.
    I'm hoping you understood that I am on the side of the cheerleaders on this one in that it is a sport.

Custom Title
    I remember someone on REAL Sports ( Bernie Goldberg, IIRC) said that bowling was a sport, but the bowlers weren't athletes (I suppose meaning that they didn't have to be physically fit--although I personally would question that. I don't think you could bowl all that well if you're fat and out of shape, Fred Flintstone and Ralph Kramden notwithstanding ) He then said that skaters are athletes but it isn't a sport. I can see what he means.

Skaters have to be in peak physical condition, but so do dancers. Dancing is not usually considered a sport, but a competition. You don't see dancing on ESPN or in the Olympics--it's considered one of the arts, not one of the sports.

I think that it is the judged nature of skating that is the problem. Yes, refs and umps sometimes make bad decisions, but there is a right and wrong answer. Either the ball was over the plate or it wasn't. The foul shot was made before the buzzer or it wasn't. Sometimes it takes instant replay to find the truth, but there usually is a truth. Figure skating has this component, too--either the lutz took off on the right edge or it didn't--but the minute "performance" "choreography" and "interpretation" are judged, it becomes much more like a subjective art competition than a traditional sport.

Whatever it is though, it sure is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    I remember someone on REAL Sports ( Bernie Goldberg, IIRC) said that bowling was a sport, but the bowlers weren't athletes (I suppose meaning that they didn't have to be physically fit--although I personally would question that. I don't think you could bowl all that well if you're fat and out of shape, Fred Flintstone and Ralph Kramden notwithstanding ) He then said that skaters are athletes but it isn't a sport. I can see what he means.
    I dunno, my best friend is a nationally ranked bowler and just started working out/getting into shape and she is large/out of shape. (lifestyle change is due health issues) She was a youth champion bowler while in high school and she didn't work out or stay physically fit for it either. So I don't know how I'd rank Bowling lol

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    Cheerleaders exist without football. My high school didn't have a football team, or any of the other usualy sports teams. No basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer etc. But we did have a cheerleading team and they were national champions. On the rare occation that we did manage to field another sports team, the cheerleaders wouldn't be caught dead at a game becaue all the other teams were awful.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Love this!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3