Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Plushenko seeks amateur status in Olympics bid

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I would really think that well informed posters elsewise, like wallylutz would be also informed for ISU rules concerning eligibility, before rushing to these kind of comments which I find unfiar for Russia F and the skater himself. Evgeni lost his eligibility by rule i) (i really wont post paragraphs again) and by that he is allowed to ask for reinstatement whenever he wants. Appeal is another chapter that all athletes, not just skaters have the right to do via CAS, thats a court. Not only Evgeni but any skater not called Evgeni also can ask for reinstatement if they get ineligible by said paragraph. ISU was pretty careful when they announce their decision last season by which rule he is ineligible and all the procedures he is doing now are inside their own communications. Maybe Toni who is worried about ISU reliability can help me find the thread of last year where the rules were posted in details.
    Btw we saw Evgeni in Prague this weekend and he was business as usual, training on and off ice before the shows like he was competing. I personally have mixed feelings about all this, cause I saw all the procedure he does before every skate with his knees (like Lambiel last year with his hip) and it is not pleasant at all. But he sounded determined.His new program with Zhulin is really nice. Anyway I was kinda of sad cause audience sees only the other side of the curtain, the glamorous one. Sasha and Surya also skated really injured with doctors waiting for them after show, if you didnt know it you wouldnt think they were injured in their performances.
    Thanks for the clarification, Seniorita. And Zhulin did Plushy's new program? Thanks for the link. I love Zhulin's choreography. Remember that great "Summertime" program he did for Kurt? And of course all the programs he did for his now ex-wife Navka.

It's difficult contemplating the damage those guys do to their bodies. The jumps these days are a kind of planned body obsolescence--guaranteed to drum up business for suppliers of artificial joints. But it's Evgeni's decision to continue, and I admire him for it. I do hope he is able to sustain his high level of achievement, but even at lesser strength, he's still an immensely impressive skater, and he always brings something extra to a competition. He's earned his place as an important part of skating history.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, Seniorita. And Zhulin did Plushy's new program? Thanks for the link. I love Zhulin's choreography. Remember that great "Summertime" program he did for Kurt? And of course all the programs he did for his now ex-wife Navka.
    He also did Kurt's Aint No Sunshine, which is another fantastic program.

Tripping on the Podium
    I hope they reinstate him - it would make for a very exciting men's event. I am all for reinstating any retired or "pro" skaters that would like to make a comeback. In 1994 it was great to see Boitano, Petrenko, Browning, Katarina Witt, etc. in the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I hope they reinstate him - it would make for a very exciting men's event. I am all for reinstating any retired or "pro" skaters that would like to make a comeback. In 1994 it was great to see Boitano, Petrenko, Browning, Katarina Witt, etc. in the Olympics.
    Yes, but none of them recreated their former glory....

Custom Title
    Well, I can take reinstates for most retired or pro skaters with ease and enthusiasm, but not some, like Yagudin and Kwan. I don't want these two to come back. I don't want to see them being crushed by other skaters. Not that I think Plushenko will be crushed if he comes back. I think if he decides to come back, he'll still be somewhat competitive. Though his goal in Sochi must be changed, such as winning a medal or a top 5 finish should be considered successful. A gold will be out of question.

I hope they reinstate him too. He is such a poor sportsman that it makes it all the more fun to beat him.

Besides Russia has nobody close to Grandpa, even if he is only half the skater that he used to be.

Mishin has some "cool" quotes that clearly demonstrate he is a certifiably NUTS.

Here are a couple of Mishin quotes that never fail to make me LOL.

“Russian women are not very good for figure skating. They are good for building rail tracks in Siberia, for example. They are just too strong and big.” :sheesh:

Thankfully this neanderthal is not coaching any American girls

Here are more words of wisdom from Mishin:

“Maybe Russia doesn't have such rich stores of reserve like before, but hope does not die. Russian skating will survive and thrive. What the West does not understand is that you don't need so much 'talented skaters' as you need smart coaches.

A smart coach can find a good athlete and make him great. In America, there are millions of talented athletes, but still they don't win top medals because they don't know how to make the champions.”

Why does it sound like Mishin is describing Evan and Frank Carroll ??
    What a buffoon.
    Last edited by janetfan; 04-19-2011 at 01:31 PM.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    There comes a time in life when you have to stay to yourself...It's time to move on....there are some skaters that need to heed this advice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    I hope they reinstate him too. He is such a poor sportsman that it makes it all the more fun to beat him.

Besides Russia has nobody close to Grandpa, even if he is only half the skater that he used to be.

Mishin has some "cool" quotes that clearly demonstrate he is a certifiably NUTS.

Here are a couple of Mishin quotes that never fail to make me LOL.

“Russian women are not very good for figure skating. They are good for building rail tracks in Siberia, for example. They are just too strong and big.”

Thankfully this neanderthal is not coaching any American girls

Here are more words of wisdom from Mishin:

“Maybe Russia doesn't have such rich stores of reserve like before, but hope does not die. Russian skating will survive and thrive. What the West does not understand is that you don't need so much 'talented skaters' as you need smart coaches.

A smart coach can find a good athlete and make him great. In America, there are millions of talented athletes, but still they don't win top medals because they don't know how to make the champions.”

What a buffoon.
    I'm sorry but unfortunately not everybody here is American, some of us couldn't care less about Plushenko's image as poor sportsman, Mishin's opinions about Western coaches or the "Cold War mentality" that Mishin and you seem to share. So excuse me if I don't laugh!!!!!
    Last edited by ciocio; 04-19-2011 at 12:45 PM.

browning wasn't a retired pro coming back, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    despite his craptastique short, Kurt placed 5th - the highest he ever placed at an OG.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    Gordeeva & Grinkov won gold, and I think the silver pair medalists were also returning professionals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    There comes a time in life when you have to stay to yourself...It's time to move on....there are some skaters that need to heed this advice.
    He did try to move on and he found moving on was not for him

Gordeeva & Grinkov won gold, and I think the silver pair medalists were also returning professionals.
    Yes, I was only thinking of the singles skaters that were mentioned. Who can ever forget the fabulous G&G!

Torvill & Dean got the bronze, and many say they were cheated out of a higher placement...

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    I m sure Evgeni who has a son since 23, his nieces, his own show, a wife, retired parents, unemployed sister and Assembly whatever status has never thought that there is life besides competing

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    ^^^^
    The Russia today is not the same as the Soviet Russia. Plushenko is still the best male skater there, and he should be representing his country and in his case Himself! I would have Michael Weiss join him if Michael wanted to. I happen to like aging skaters still active in the sport. Too bad Dick's dream of a Senior (age) Division of Competition was negated for the silly Sunday Afternoon shenanigans.
    It exists now, but he is past the age limit. The age limit for ISU Adult competitions is 71. Midori Ito is participating in the Obertsdorf competition in June!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3