Thread: Key quotes from Patrick Chan press conference

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Key quotes from Patrick Chan press conference

http://www.universalsports.com/news-...id=529841.html

Canada's Chan says Moscow world championships will be unlike any other

From Icenetwork:

..............."I honestly don't think I peaked too early or anything," he said. "I only believe in repeating [in competition] what I do in practice. In practice, I skate clean [programs] everyday."

...................."Ever since we heard the news and the final confirmation of where [the event will be], we started remapping the strategy and weekly training regimen, and how much I should recover and build back up," he said.

"I had already started to tone down training [leading in to Tokyo] and when [worlds] was postponed, I had to ramp back up...now we're in the stage of [going] back down and focusing on recovery so in Moscow I will be well-rested."

That means that while Chan has been doing run-throughs every weekday, he's also taken time out to work on his golf game on weekends. It's all part of an overall strategy to stay relaxed.

"I see [being a favorite] more as an excitement; I really like being looked up to," he said. "I can't forget about the other skaters. I'm not the only favorite. There are tons of skaters, including the Japanese [Daisuke Takahashi, Nobunari Oda and Takahiko Kozuka] who will be even more motivated to skate for their country.

"There is also Brian [Joubert] and Tomas [Verner]...I'm not the only one bearing the weight."

Chan added that he and Krall are sticking with the game plan that brought such acclaim in Kingston, with one quad in his short and two quads, along with a triple Axel-triple toe loop combination, planned for his free skate. If landed well, those jumps -- along with Chan's typically high Program Component Scores -- will make the Canadian hard to beat.

"I'm curious to see how other skaters have handled [the worlds delay]; I think I gained a lot in the extra month," he said. "If anything I've improved."

Last edited by SkateFiguring; 04-15-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Custom Title
    Thanks! All sounds good!

Custom Title
    Modesty has never been Chan's forte, has it? He's a very good skater, but his personality turns me right off.

I don't see anything immodest in these particular quotes. Patrick acknowleges that he is a front-runner -- along with Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka, Joubert, Verner,...

Custom Title
    Well, with the way the international judges have been judging him the past a few years, especially and most importantly with the skills and jumps he's got, I think he can get away with it, like it or not. He is a favorite, in fact, one of the most favorite, isn't he?
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 04-20-2011 at 08:23 AM.

take off the oven mitts
    ok, full disclosure, i'm a dai fan, but what exactly is chan 'getting away' with? what crime is he being charged with? these quotes are downright... un-criticize-able.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't see anything immodest in these particular quotes. Patrick acknowleges that he is a front-runner -- along with Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka, Joubert, Verner,...
    And he really likes being looked up to. That seems immodest to me, but YMMV.

My comments were really based on a number of things that Chan has said over the last year or two. (No, I can't find the links. ) Despite his undoubted skills I cannot warm to Patrick because of the way he talks about himself.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenpleasures View Post

My comments were really based on a number of things that Chan has said over the last year or two. (No, I can't find the links. ) Despite his undoubted skills I cannot warm to Patrick because of the way he talks about himself.
    No need to link as some of the comments fall under the category of "common knowledge" atleast for anybody who claims to be a skating fan.

I never minded his little "run in" with Joubert as part of that was Patrick defending Buttle. Plus Patrick backed up his words by finishing ahead of Joubert at '09 and 2010 Worlds.

His commennts about LOL at Plushy's programs from last season were not the nicest especially after we saw Plushy kick Chan's axx in Vancouver.

He is young and it seems sure after his comments at SC "the judges know what I can do" Lori or somebody sat him down and told him to cool it with that type of talk.

What good is the lobbying for Chan if he goes public with it. We all know Lori is "influential" with ISU judges and it is in Chan's best interest to not talk about it.

Even if it is all fair it can still feel shady especially in a sport as politicized as CoP skating.

I don't blame Chan for feeling defensive as his win at SC this year was highly controversial.

Well maye if we count practice it wasn't, but isn't CoP skating supposed to be a "real sport"

If so, practice does not and should not count. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenpleasures View Post

Well ... at least he's honest.