Key quotes from Patrick Chan press conference | Golden Skate

Key quotes from Patrick Chan press conference

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
http://www.universalsports.com/news-blogs/article/newsid=529841.html

Canada's Chan says Moscow world championships will be unlike any other

From Icenetwork:

..............."I honestly don't think I peaked too early or anything," he said. "I only believe in repeating [in competition] what I do in practice. In practice, I skate clean [programs] everyday."

...................."Ever since we heard the news and the final confirmation of where [the event will be], we started remapping the strategy and weekly training regimen, and how much I should recover and build back up," he said.

"I had already started to tone down training [leading in to Tokyo] and when [worlds] was postponed, I had to ramp back up...now we're in the stage of [going] back down and focusing on recovery so in Moscow I will be well-rested."

That means that while Chan has been doing run-throughs every weekday, he's also taken time out to work on his golf game on weekends. It's all part of an overall strategy to stay relaxed.

"I see [being a favorite] more as an excitement; I really like being looked up to," he said. "I can't forget about the other skaters. I'm not the only favorite. There are tons of skaters, including the Japanese [Daisuke Takahashi, Nobunari Oda and Takahiko Kozuka] who will be even more motivated to skate for their country.

"There is also Brian [Joubert] and Tomas [Verner]...I'm not the only one bearing the weight."

Chan added that he and Krall are sticking with the game plan that brought such acclaim in Kingston, with one quad in his short and two quads, along with a triple Axel-triple toe loop combination, planned for his free skate. If landed well, those jumps -- along with Chan's typically high Program Component Scores -- will make the Canadian hard to beat.

"I'm curious to see how other skaters have handled [the worlds delay]; I think I gained a lot in the extra month," he said. "If anything I've improved."

Last edited:
I don't see anything immodest in these particular quotes. Patrick acknowleges that he is a front-runner -- along with Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka, Joubert, Verner,...

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Well, with the way the international judges have been judging him the past a few years, especially and most importantly with the skills and jumps he's got, I think he can get away with it, like it or not. He is a favorite, in fact, one of the most favorite, isn't he?

Last edited:

skfan

Final Flight
ok, full disclosure, i'm a dai fan, but what exactly is chan 'getting away' with? what crime is he being charged with? these quotes are downright... un-criticize-able.

goldenpleasures

On the Ice
I don't see anything immodest in these particular quotes. Patrick acknowleges that he is a front-runner -- along with Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka, Joubert, Verner,...

And he really likes being looked up to. That seems immodest to me, but YMMV.

My comments were really based on a number of things that Chan has said over the last year or two. (No, I can't find the links. :p) Despite his undoubted skills I cannot warm to Patrick because of the way he talks about himself.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
but what exactly is chan 'getting away' with? what crime is he being charged with?

That some people's blaming him arrogant, immodest. You are elevating it greatly. Who talked anything about crime?!:sheesh:

skfan

Final Flight
That some people's blaming him arrogant, immodest. You are elevating it greatly. Who talked anything about crime?!:sheesh:

pardon me, i forgot the :) when i was using what i thought was comical exaggeration to make a point. i might have assumed that goldenskate was the land of gentle humor, the pastoral respite from the vitriol of (generic) skating boards :)

seriously, chan can say whatever, it won't affect my opinion of him. i'll still be rooting for dai to outskate him, no matter how wonderful chan's edges. i just find it amusing, the board traffic generated by chan. maybe i wanted to pad my post count a little, and couldn't be bothered to discuss agnes, christina, even mirai in the US ladies sochi topic.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
pardon me, i forgot the :) when i was using what i thought was comical exaggeration to make a point.

:)

I did have felt annoyed last a couple of years when Chan didn't have quad in his program but attacked Joubert and even some of the 6.0 greats. This year, he's changed. Now he has the most difficult jumps and been one of the most consistant jumpers in the world. Also, he's guarded a little on what he say to the press, probably because he's older and wiser. I didn't find anything he say now offensive.

janetfan

Match Penalty
And he really likes being looked up to. That seems immodest to me, but YMMV.

My comments were really based on a number of things that Chan has said over the last year or two. (No, I can't find the links. :p) Despite his undoubted skills I cannot warm to Patrick because of the way he talks about himself.

No need to link as some of the comments fall under the category of "common knowledge" atleast for anybody who claims to be a skating fan.

I never minded his little "run in" with Joubert as part of that was Patrick defending Buttle. Plus Patrick backed up his words by finishing ahead of Joubert at '09 and 2010 Worlds.

His commennts about LOL at Plushy's programs from last season were not the nicest especially after we saw Plushy kick Chan's axx in Vancouver. :yes:

He is young and it seems sure after his comments at SC "the judges know what I can do" Lori or somebody sat him down and told him to cool it with that type of talk.

What good is the lobbying for Chan if he goes public with it. We all know Lori is "influential" with ISU judges and it is in Chan's best interest to not talk about it.

Even if it is all fair it can still feel shady especially in a sport as politicized as CoP skating.

I don't blame Chan for feeling defensive as his win at SC this year was highly controversial.

Well maye if we count practice it wasn't, but isn't CoP skating supposed to be a "real sport" :think:

If so, practice does not and should not count. Ever.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Chan has always been open and truthful but taken as arrogant, boastful, etc, when arrogance by other well known skaters have not been regarded as any kind of a fault. I find Chan's words are often twisted and interpreted extremely negatively.

e.g. "Chan derided quads." He never did. All he said was the honest truth that you didn't need a quad to win, proven before and after his statement. He had expressed admiration for Plushenko and had been practicing quads at the time but his plan of doing it in competitions was derailed by a tumultuous season of illness, injury and coaching change.

The most arrogant statement he did make was that anybody could do quads but level 4 footwork was more difficult. True again. How many quad jumpers are there? And how many can do the truly difficult footwork? Chan himself proved it when he learned to do beautiful quads in much less time than years of training to achieve his unparalleled footwork.

It sounded like he was bragging when he said quad was easy for him and he could do it better than 3A. Well, unfortunately true.

Headlines blast all over the world that Chan "blasts" Plushenko as old. That was an imposed value and judgement that "old" was bad. Chan explained that Plushenko didn't understand CoP but Plush was old so he couldn't tell him that. Plushenko's lack of Cop knowledge has since been well recognized and attributed as what cost him the Olympic gold. Since Chan has always been most respectful to all older and really old people such as his parents, coaches, and fans, I don't see he used the word "old" negatively, especially with his Chinese background. He likely meant Plushenko was "old school". Whichever, he actually was too respectful for Plushenko's age to tell him the obvious truth.

I see him getting along very well with other skaters who have no issue with his scores or his "disrespect", and I hear and read nothing but highest praise for his character from everyone who has met and interacted with him. Except Johnny Weir. All the judgemental comments, outrage with scoring, and characater condemnation have been coming from skating fans and skater fans who read, see, hear and say what they choose, or as presented by some media looking for and creating controversies.

See how Patrick showed respect for Takahashi during the SP small medal presentation. And in the very funny LP small medal presentation, see how he and Joubert interact, as well as how he immediately called back Brezina for the photo when Brezina was slipping away as a non final medalist.

Arrogance? Far from it.

Oh, for fun for the very few who may not have seen it, this is the hilarious press conference when Patrick translated for Joubert, who looked immediately to him for help when he had difficulty understanding the question in English. Patrick also acted as his friend Kozuka's translator when they were in Paris.

Last edited:

callalily

On the Ice
I see him getting along very well with other skaters.......

He definitely gets along very well with Ryan Bradley. I don't know how many people saw Ryan's interview with Kurt Browning (available on CBC website), but Ryan is obviously very fond of Patrick and really enjoys training with him in Colorado.

Ryan and Kurt talk about growing a beard for the playoffs (typical in hockey) and how Ryan and Patrick are doing the same (ha, ha!)...Patrick showed up at the rink one day pointing to a bit of fuzz on his lip and more or less challenging Ryan...who asked him how many days' growth that was....Patrick said a week or more! Of course within a couple of days Ryan was sporting some decent growth, and Patrick was trying to eke out some stubble. This didn't bother Patrick at all and they obviously had a lot of fun with it, because Ryan relates the whole story with such affection toward Patrick. He also mentions how inspiring and motivating it is to have Patrick at the rink. It was really nice to hear (and I must say Ryan comes across as a great guy!)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
He definitely gets along very well with Ryan Bradley. I don't know how many people saw Ryan's interview with Kurt Browning (available on CBC website), but Ryan is obviously very fond of Patrick and really enjoys training with him in Colorado.

Ryan and Kurt talk about growing a beard for the playoffs (typical in hockey) and how Ryan and Patrick are doing the same (ha, ha!)...Patrick showed up at the rink one day pointing to a bit of fuzz on his lip and more or less challenging Ryan...who asked him how many days' growth that was....Patrick said a week or more! Of course within a couple of days Ryan was sporting some decent growth, and Patrick was trying to eke out some stubble. This didn't bother Patrick at all and they obviously had a lot of fun with it, because Ryan relates the whole story with such affection toward Patrick. He also mentions how inspiring and motivating it is to have Patrick at the rink. It was really nice to hear (and I must say Ryan comes across as a great guy!)

Jason Brown has also been massively complementary, both to Chan's skating abilities and his personality.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Headlines blast all over the world that Chan "blasts" Plushenko as old. That was an imposed value and judgement that "old" was bad. Chan explained that Plushenko didn't understand CoP but Plush was old so he couldn't tell him that. Plushenko's lack of Cop knowledge has since been well recognized and attributed as what cost him the Olympic gold. Since Chan has always been most respectful to all older and really old people such as his parents, coaches, and fans, I don't see he used the word "old" negatively, especially with his Chinese background. He likely meant Plushenko was "old school". Whichever, he actually was too respectful for Plushenko's age to tell him the obvious truth.

I see him getting along very well with other skaters who have no issue with his scores or his "disrespect", and I hear and read nothing but highest praise for his character from everyone who has met and interacted with him. Except Johnny Weir. All the judgemental comments, outrage with scoring, and characater condemnation have been coming from skating fans and skater fans who read, see, hear and say what they choose, or as presented by some media looking for and creating controversies.

See how Patrick showed respect for Takahashi during the SP small medal presentation. And in the very funny LP small medal presentation, see how he and Joubert interact, as well as how he immediately called back Brezina for the photo when Brezina was slipping away as a non final medalist.

Arrogance? Far from it.

Oh, for fun for the very few who may not have seen it, this is the hilarious press conference when Patrick translated for Joubert, who looked immediately to him for help when he had difficulty understanding the question in English. Patrick also acted as his friend Kozuka's translator when they were in Paris.

I ve seen the conference with Joub and it was cute. But please about old Plushenko.He had said he watched tis Cor program and laughed with Lori. Last year Chan was avery good athlete from the hosting Olympic country, and he had something to say for both Yagudin and Plu. There is a line between truth and rude concerning both Yagudin and Plushenko who had run miles of ice before him. Look how Hanyu has spoken for the same athletes and he has already a quad at the same age they had it.
Secondly more than the athletes, their coaches and choreographers need to understand Cop, his point was not well put to adress an athlete about cOP. Third Plushenko had already won under Cop for Chan to make the statement no matter how Vancouver Olys turned out later, it was not Chans business to update Plushenko since 2006. And the last thing that comes to mind is that Plushenko is 28 years old, not 98, the way you put it I ll wait Chan to help me cross the street when I meet him.:p

Nevertheless what he said now is completely normal for me, I never liked false modesty in people., and Chan is an athlete and right now as season turned out he is one of the best (if not the best) in the world, why say something less. But last year he wasnt on that level and he talked bigger than his skate.