Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Key quotes from Patrick Chan press conference

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I see him getting along very well with other skaters.......
    He definitely gets along very well with Ryan Bradley. I don't know how many people saw Ryan's interview with Kurt Browning (available on CBC website), but Ryan is obviously very fond of Patrick and really enjoys training with him in Colorado.

Ryan and Kurt talk about growing a beard for the playoffs (typical in hockey) and how Ryan and Patrick are doing the same (ha, ha!)...Patrick showed up at the rink one day pointing to a bit of fuzz on his lip and more or less challenging Ryan...who asked him how many days' growth that was....Patrick said a week or more! Of course within a couple of days Ryan was sporting some decent growth, and Patrick was trying to eke out some stubble. This didn't bother Patrick at all and they obviously had a lot of fun with it, because Ryan relates the whole story with such affection toward Patrick. He also mentions how inspiring and motivating it is to have Patrick at the rink. It was really nice to hear (and I must say Ryan comes across as a great guy!)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenpleasures View Post
    And he really likes being looked up to. That seems immodest to me, but YMMV.

Well ... at least he's honest.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by callalily View Post
    He definitely gets along very well with Ryan Bradley. I don't know how many people saw Ryan's interview with Kurt Browning (available on CBC website), but Ryan is obviously very fond of Patrick and really enjoys training with him in Colorado.

Ryan and Kurt talk about growing a beard for the playoffs (typical in hockey) and how Ryan and Patrick are doing the same (ha, ha!)...Patrick showed up at the rink one day pointing to a bit of fuzz on his lip and more or less challenging Ryan...who asked him how many days' growth that was....Patrick said a week or more! Of course within a couple of days Ryan was sporting some decent growth, and Patrick was trying to eke out some stubble. This didn't bother Patrick at all and they obviously had a lot of fun with it, because Ryan relates the whole story with such affection toward Patrick. He also mentions how inspiring and motivating it is to have Patrick at the rink. It was really nice to hear (and I must say Ryan comes across as a great guy!)
    Jason Brown has also been massively complementary, both to Chan's skating abilities and his personality.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post

Headlines blast all over the world that Chan "blasts" Plushenko as old. That was an imposed value and judgement that "old" was bad. Chan explained that Plushenko didn't understand CoP but Plush was old so he couldn't tell him that. Plushenko's lack of Cop knowledge has since been well recognized and attributed as what cost him the Olympic gold. Since Chan has always been most respectful to all older and really old people such as his parents, coaches, and fans, I don't see he used the word "old" negatively, especially with his Chinese background. He likely meant Plushenko was "old school". Whichever, he actually was too respectful for Plushenko's age to tell him the obvious truth.

I see him getting along very well with other skaters who have no issue with his scores or his "disrespect", and I hear and read nothing but highest praise for his character from everyone who has met and interacted with him. Except Johnny Weir. All the judgemental comments, outrage with scoring, and characater condemnation have been coming from skating fans and skater fans who read, see, hear and say what they choose, or as presented by some media looking for and creating controversies.

See how Patrick showed respect for Takahashi during the SP small medal presentation. And in the very funny LP small medal presentation, see how he and Joubert interact, as well as how he immediately called back Brezina for the photo when Brezina was slipping away as a non final medalist.

Arrogance? Far from it.

Oh, for fun for the very few who may not have seen it, this is the hilarious press conference when Patrick translated for Joubert, who looked immediately to him for help when he had difficulty understanding the question in English. Patrick also acted as his friend Kozuka's translator when they were in Paris.
    I ve seen the conference with Joub and it was cute. But please about old Plushenko.He had said he watched tis Cor program and laughed with Lori. Last year Chan was avery good athlete from the hosting Olympic country, and he had something to say for both Yagudin and Plu. There is a line between truth and rude concerning both Yagudin and Plushenko who had run miles of ice before him. Look how Hanyu has spoken for the same athletes and he has already a quad at the same age they had it.
    Secondly more than the athletes, their coaches and choreographers need to understand Cop, his point was not well put to adress an athlete about cOP. Third Plushenko had already won under Cop for Chan to make the statement no matter how Vancouver Olys turned out later, it was not Chans business to update Plushenko since 2006. And the last thing that comes to mind is that Plushenko is 28 years old, not 98, the way you put it I ll wait Chan to help me cross the street when I meet him.

Nevertheless what he said now is completely normal for me, I never liked false modesty in people., and Chan is an athlete and right now as season turned out he is one of the best (if not the best) in the world, why say something less. But last year he wasnt on that level and he talked bigger than his skate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Jason Brown has also been massively complementary, both to Chan's skating abilities and his personality.
    It's good to hear another up and coming skater being so complimentary of Chan. Do you have a link?

Custom Title
    Seniorita, one problem I've had with that particular quote, though the headline, which I find inflammatory like many re. Chan, was all over the web during the Olympics media frenzy, is that I've never come across a video of it. I'm often skeptical of print reports which are subject to editing of all sorts. E.g. This article derived from the same press conference creates a little different impression from the earlier ones linked in this post.

Another example: Here is an Absolute Skating's write up about the GPF press conference:

In the press conference, he was asked if he knew about the voices of criticism pointing out that he is consistently over-marked in terms of the program components score despite falling on jumps, so he should not have qualified for the final. He said he'll respond to that kind of criticism by skating a great program to wonderful choreography with difficult jumps. If he can keep skating well, they'll understand.
    Here's the video of the event, which is not on Youtube and hard to find.

The media wanted, looked for, extracted, and manufactured controversies during the Olympics. Not too difficult to do when the subject was a youngster who just turned 19 and under tremendous pressure. Since then, many skating fans and even some writers continue to look from their biased perspective. When a report is 180 degree from my perception and understanding of Chan, I try to verify it with an actual recording. Mostly I find negative reports very narrowly focused, exaggerated, and out of context. Or even fabricated like the AS article above.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 04-22-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Yes you re right, that I can believe and I will remember it next time i see a skater quoted. Up until today Mr Inman based on a AS article about a conference and no where else to send his mail and there is no video up to today to see the context of that whole conference in Slovakia.

Custom Title
    I'll look for the link fscric, but I don't remember where I read it.

SkateFiguring, I'm sorta on seniorita's side with this one. Not only Plushenko, but his comments aimed about Takahashi also bugged me. Yes, it's easy for the media to manipulate but at the same time, we shouldn't try to excuse what was said (and it was a direct quote). It's one thing to be skeptical, it's another to provide excuses.

Custom Title
    IPogue, What are his comments aimed at Takahashi? I find Chan pays a high respect to Takahashi, always citing him as his chief rival despite Dai's relatively poor season, just as Chan's rivals never lowered their expectation of Chan through his falls in early season. After his Nationals skate, Chan explained his mental preparation as treating the Nationals as important as Worlds, and that Daisuke was yet to skate after him.

I love this picture of Dai "looking up to" Patrick, with 3 cameras involved. Always been curious to see the one taken by the photographer in the background.

Evidently Dai loves to take pictures. Here he is in action at 4CC banquet.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 04-22-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Custom Title
    Chan did say something about him having a quad in his SP and Takahashi not having a quad in the SP and how having a quad in the SP was bringing it to a new level. He has said lots of stuff. I prefer him saying opinions than being a zombie even if I have seriously disagreed with what he has said and been really put off.

Custom Title
    ^^^^Can you provide a link? To whom was he responding to and what occasion was that? And who first reported such saying from Chan?

Custom Title
    "Yes, if you make a mistake on it, it is very anticlimactic and disappointing and it became a test of mental toughness," Chan told the press. "I used to say that it was not necessary, but now that I have experience from both sides, I better understand what the others have been saying before. I do not care how many points it is worth, it is just so great to do it. It's a blast! The build up to the jump, the intensity... and if you succeed you feel so great. I think Nobunari sees it this way too."

http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2010/gpf-ms.shtml

I think this is where it was from but maybe I got his statement and a statement about what he said confused. oops if that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I'll look for the link fscric, but I don't remember where I read it.

SkateFiguring, I'm sorta on seniorita's side with this one. Not only Plushenko, but his comments aimed about Takahashi also bugged me. Yes, it's easy for the media to manipulate but at the same time, we shouldn't try to excuse what was said (and it was a direct quote). It's one thing to be skeptical, it's another to provide excuses.
    Excuses seem preferable at times as opposed to trying to change the facts, or in this case the words that came right out of Patrick's mouth.

Hopefully Patrick won't ever have to go through reconstructive knee surgery as Dai did. If he does let's see his quad game then.

While we are at it, when will the CoP chosen one ever show a 3A as good as Browning and Boitano had over 20 years ago? I could include Midori Ito as well

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    Excuses seem preferable at times as opposed to trying to change the facts, or in this case the words that came right out of Patrick's mouth.
    I just want to be sure it was from his mouth and how he said it. I don't think or expect Chan to be perfect or even diplomatic to always say the right things but there are just too many untrue allegations out there. So show me so I can judge for myself instead of buying everything on the internet.

E.g. You are accusing me of making excuses instead of refuting what I said with evidence and proving me wrong. I am not convinced you are right yet.

I m kinda with you in that, this is the only sport i know that athletes need to have the certificate of good behavior. They need to be modest, not much of opinion, and hard working and to want world peace.
    It is not like they break tables and chairs while off ice, they just talk. As we all do in our daily lives, or I suppose we all are so fair and polite and perfect 24h per dayEven if sometimes i get upset with articles, i always have this in mind. When Chans skates so great as Nationals I dont care what he says, he is not a lawyer, he is a skater.
    Have you read Comaneci´s book? I find some things she says questionable but still she is the same great athlete in my mind.
    Last edited by seniorita; 04-22-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast