Top Ten for Kevin? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Top Ten for Kevin?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I personally don't see how a choctaw entrance would make a Triple Axel easier. You'd be forcing your body to change direction right before jumping.

I agree. I think the problem Joe has highlighted isn't the glide in the "check" position, but the fact that many skaters don't have their weight over their feet when going into the triple axel

Also, with regards to Kevin's packaging--McLeod's skaters seem to have this problem lately. Mira was raked over the coals for her packaging.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
I totally agree! I love his hair. It's what makes him him. I don't find it sloppy and unkept. It's the style. It's supposed to look like that. I think he's cute. Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing him with a different haircut. Especially if it would help him with the judges. I really enjoy his skating and if changing his hair style will help him get better presentation marks, I'm all for it. If it means he can move up in the ranks then go for it. Usually, I would be like...screw it. If they don't like it, oh well. But I really like Kevin and I would like to see him get his due.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
19th place is pretty low, definitely not what he hoped for. I actually wish Shawn had decided to do this competition, because he might have pulled off like 10th and Canada might not lose the 3 spots for next year.

Actually Shawn's score from Nationals would have put him into the mix for a medal here, but I know that score was inflated.

I'm curious as to where Abbott and Rippon would have placed if they had gone, too. I don't think Rippon would have done any better than Bradley and Dornbush, really, with the way he's been skating this year.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I'm curious as to where Abbott and Rippon would have placed if they had gone, too. I don't think Rippon would have done any better than Bradley and Dornbush, really, with the way he's been skating this year.

In last year's Worlds, Abbott got 6th in SP, 6th in LP, and 5th over all. Rippon got 7th in SP, 5th in LP, and 6th over all.

Ravensque

On the Ice
I'm feeling bad for Kevin. He is suffering from a hip injury and I hope that he can get healed up properly and be ready for competition next year. From what I've read, he was trying to rest his hip when he got the call to go to Worlds....obviously this did not do his injury any favors to compete with it.........Rest and heal Kevin.......hope to see you next year back and healthy.

Sackie

Medalist
Have to wonder if Kevin is going the way of Leung. Showed great promise at first but never improved. Had a great showing at worlds once then faded badly. And once others came along that Canada thought could do better them Leung internationally she was dropped. Have to wonder that if Kevin doesn't get his act together soon the same thing may happen to him. He's already had 2 Can nationals where he has underperformed and lesser skaters have passed him. He has not been doing as well in his GP events as he should - much like leung. By now he should have won a GP medal of some kind.

herios

Medalist
Have to wonder if Kevin is going the way of Leung. Showed great promise at first but never improved. Had a great showing at worlds once then faded badly. And once others came along that Canada thought could do better them Leung internationally she was dropped. Have to wonder that if Kevin doesn't get his act together soon the same thing may happen to him. He's already had 2 Can nationals where he has underperformed and lesser skaters have passed him. He has not been doing as well in his GP events as he should - much like leung. By now he should have won a GP medal of some kind.

One bad season doesn't make a pattern for me just yet. He is young enough to get over it. However, if he will repeat this again, I will put him in the same bracket as Mira and Emanuel as far as unfulfilled promises. I mean, he was actually beating Patrick Chan when they were kids, so common, one is now first, the other 20th in the world?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The thing about Kevin is he never had good technique to begin with. His vaunted Quads are usually a 1/4 turn short at best. As he gets older and fills out more, the jumps will become harder and even less consistent. It was already happening to him this season, I think.

I really don't think Canada cares about any of the current crop of guys outside of Chan at this point. He will be their only real focus in terms of Senior competitors up through 2014. They are more concerned with developing their Junior skaters.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm starting to think Andrei Rogozine will be Canada's hope for the future. I actually thought Russell would do better than he did here.

nadster

Final Flight
The thing that Kevin needs to do is RUN not walk from Joanne Mcleod tout suite. He is not going to go forward until he changes coaches.

She is the main reason he is being held back. She has complained in the past about Kevin's low PCS marks instead of looking at the issues in his skating. Kevin decided to work with Shae-Lynn from last year on choreography and has improved his presentation somewhat due to listening to her. Joanne has not helped Kevin one iota in the PCS.

Yes he did learn quads at a young age but not with the soundest of jumping technique. Hence his jumps are SPUN more than jumped. He relies solely on quick rotation in the air to get the jumps done. His axel technique is especially horrid and is shared by the vast majority of Mcleod's students. Bad technique will always catch up as you get older.

I am cautious about our young talent Nam Nyugen ( 12 year old junior champion ) because he too is a Joanne Mcleod student.

nadster

Final Flight
I'm starting to think Andrei Rogozine will be Canada's hope for the future. I actually thought Russell would do better than he did here.

I am not surptised about Russell. Russell never really had the triple axel to begin with and his jump consistency is even worse than Sawyer's. You could at least rely on Shawn to land all the triples save the axel and to a lesser degree the lutz. Russell tends to make mistakes all over the place.

herios

Medalist
The thing about Kevin is he never had good technique to begin with. His vaunted Quads are usually a 1/4 turn short at best. As he gets older and fills out more, the jumps will become harder and even less consistent. It was already happening to him this season, I think.

I really don't think Canada cares about any of the current crop of guys outside of Chan at this point. He will be their only real focus in terms of Senior competitors up through 2014. They are more concerned with developing their Junior skaters.

One skater doesn't make antional program I am sorry. And what if Chan gets injured like last season? Skate Canada will pull what kind of rabbit of thei hat suddenly if they didn't care about anybody else? That is non sense.