Top Ten for Kevin? | Golden Skate

Top Ten for Kevin?

Taan

On the Ice
:confused: do you think Kevin Reynolds will crack the top 10 this year?
and improve upon his 12th place finish last year?
Yes or no?
does he have what it takes??
can he do it???

:biggrin: :) GO KEVIN!!! QUAD KID!!! :) :biggrin:

Not only has Kevin reigning as the present Quad King, his over all presentation has improved 50%. He should have no problem if he lands his multiple Quads and skates an improved still program. Maybe even top 5; maybe even podium.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Kevin has the quads and has improved so much in his artistry but something got in his head after making the record book at Skate Canada. Maybe the media-created rivalry with Chan for the Canadian Championships messed him up and it got carried over to 4CC. If he gets mentally straightened out and is able to perform like he can, top ten for sure and possibly top 5.

With his improved presentation, he is so much higher in my book than quad squad members like Bradley and KVDP, and may I say he is more watchable for me than today's Plushenko. Kevin's SC 2010 Gala performance.

Many worry for his 3A under Joanne Mcleod though.

I am so happy for him to go to Worlds after all. Go Kevin! Show 'em!

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Can he do it? Yes. Especially if he lands two quads in his SP.

Will he? It's a deep field, but those he's competing against are just as prone to screwing up as he is. Which makes it unpredictable.

That said, SF, I think Mcleod had a hand in that "media created" rivalry. She certainly promoted it as such.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
No double his coach likely talked up her skater. But without Joannie, Tessa and Scott, nor Jessica/Bryce, Chan was the sole headliner so the organizers really were a bit desperate about the promotion for the Cdn Nationals. Thus, the Chan/Reynolds rivalry was played up and Chan made an announcement of doing 2 quads in his LP, all to generate some excitement for the event.

Hopefully, Kevin learned a lession about spotlight and pressure.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
If Reynolds does well, I'll be quite happy as I like three spots for the Canadian men (plus it means that Rogozine could get the chance to strut his stuff on the senior circuit). But if there's any coach who really struggles to mentally prepare skaters for the big competition, is McLeod (remember Sandhu?). Given the tsursis of this season, I would be surprised (impressed, but surprised) if Reynolds ended it on a high note.

I'll be honest, I first thought this thread was about van der Perren, as I've generally written Reynolds off this season.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Well, something was going on later in the season with Reynolds......don't know what it was, but I hope for his sake it's something put in the past. I like him and he has made some wonderful improvements in the last couple of years. I somewhat am skeptical about him staying with Joanne....after what happended to headcase Eman. It was very frustrating to be a fan of his. I hope Kevin has a better head on his shoulders and can handle pressure. Good luck to him a Worlds....I'll be cheering for him to skate both programs to the best of his ability............He could be top 10 or better if he does that.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Eman, one of the most talented skaters ever, had so much internal turmoil from his childhood and family history, whether or not they were excuses, as well as focus issue. he could do everything, just not at the same time when it counted most. Sigh. I can't blame his coach for all his problems though. Maybe he felt, and did do, his best with her, or else he would have switched. She was probably frustrated as hell.

Kevin still has a great potential to realize. I wish him the best.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think Kevin can make top 10 if he skates like he did last year, not like he skated at Canadian Nationals or 4CC 2011. I think he'd be hard pressed to get into the top 5 though, given his habit of popping the triple axel even when he lands his quads.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He hasn't been landing his quads cleanly this season, and without clean quads he has NO chance of making top 10. I hope he gives some serious thought to cleaning up his appearance. He is not a teenager any more (he turns 21 this summer) and his unkempt look isn't likely to appeal to ISU judges, most of whom are over 50. One can still be trendy without looking so sloppy.

He hasn't been landing his quads cleanly this season, and without clean quads he has NO chance of making top 10. I hope he gives some serious thought to cleaning up his appearance. He is not a teenager any more (he turns 21 this summer) and his unkempt look isn't likely to appeal to ISU judges, most of whom are over 50. One can still be trendy without looking so sloppy.
That's certainly part of it. It's that unspecified exposure which will set the judges' mood. He is feisty, though, and I like that.

Speaking of the proper look for a presentation, I was not thrilled with Abbott's sweater, tie and chinos as appropriate. It looked like he just dropped in to say hello. While I am against ornate costumes, particularly for Men, I would ok a basic blouse with a few sequins on it.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Hmmm....a number of the judges don't exactly fit the image of being well groomed and fashionable.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
He couldnt even qualify for Worlds directly out of Canadians this year (and yeah I know he didnt skate his best at Canadians but still). I guess he could make the top 10 barely if he skates perfectly and others fall but it seems unlikely to me. I see him somewhere around 15th to be honest.

nadster

Final Flight
I think Kevin's PCS progress is in spite of Joanne. He worked with Shae-Lynn and must have followed her pointers.

I would not compare the Kevin coaching situation with Sandhu or Mira . Mira's mother interfered with things and Sandhu never had the right attitude ( work ethic etc ) Kevin does not have those problems.

However Joanne has taught kevin an absolutely awful axel technique ( which can be seen in her other students as well ) . Even if he lands his quads the axel will always be a problem with the horrible technique he has on that jump.

Ravensque

On the Ice
I think Kevin's PCS progress is in spite of Joanne. He worked with Shae-Lynn and must have followed her pointers.

I would not compare the Kevin coaching situation with Sandhu or Mira . Mira's mother interfered with things and Sandhu never had the right attitude ( work ethic etc ) Kevin does not have those problems.

However Joanne has taught kevin an absolutely awful axel technique ( which can be seen in her other students as well ) . Even if he lands his quads the axel will always be a problem with the horrible technique he has on that jump.

And that is unfortunate. I really hope he gets some outside help with that axel technique. It always seems to be a problem.

Most skaters will glide on a back outside edge before turning to the forward outside edge of an Axel. I find that it could be problematic. When I skated I found that using a choctaw from the back inside edge to the forward outside edge was easier. I never noticed Kevin's preparation for the Axel, but I believe Lambiel had that problem and he should have switched to the choctaw.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The other thing is the hyping of any kind of rivalry with Chan was a joke and completely unreasonable and unfair to Kevin. Now that he is trying quads Chan would have to fall 10 times to lose to a clean Reynolds. Reynolds was a gulf behind Chan when Chan wasnt even attempting a quad. Now that Chan is doing quads he is better than Reynolds in everything, even his quads are much better than Reynolds has ever done. Chan even calls himself the quad king now, LOL! So it was silly of the Canadian media to try to hype up something so ridiculous.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
The other thing is the hyping of any kind of rivalry with Chan was a joke and completely unreasonable and unfair to Kevin. Now that he is trying quads Chan would have to fall 10 times to lose to a clean Reynolds. Reynolds was a gulf behind Chan when Chan wasnt even attempting a quad. Now that Chan is doing quads he is better than Reynolds in everything, even his quads are much better than Reynolds has ever done. Chan even calls himself the quad king now, LOL! So it was silly of the Canadian media to try to hype up something so ridiculous.

Yes, I think this hype made Kevin nervous and that was a contributor to his bad performances. I don't see him as a legit challenger to Chan and I did not going into Nationals. I was thinking more about the Reynolds/Sawyer/Russell rivalry for the World Team spots.