Top Ten for Kevin? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Top Ten for Kevin?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Reynolds is not exactly known for clean performances--I don't think I have ever seen him do two clean performances in international competition. And anyhow, Reynolds (even if clean) is never going to get 8s in PCS, which Chan gets even for so-so performances. I don't see Reynolds ever beating Chan head-to-head, even if Chan has off performances.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
To improve his TES, he needs successful quads;
To improve his PCS, he needs a better hair cut.
He just might be the top 10 material if/when he sucessfully address both elements. :biggrin:

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
There are too many seasoned skaters ahead of Kevin this year for a realistic shot at the top ten. When he's on, he's very good. When he's not, he's skating's answer to Nembutal.

Even the relatively inexperienced U.S. men, Ross Miner and Richard Dornbush, should place ahead of Kevin, with their stronger PCS and TES.

Ryan Bradley is still a question mark, but on the basis of the political push he has from winning nationals, he should finish within the top ten also.

But for Team Canada to retain three spots for 2012, if Reynolds places 12th, he needs Chan to win.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Chan even calls himself the quad king now, LOL!

When does Patrick call himself the quad king? In this pre-Nationals piece, he called Kevin the Quad King.

"Kevin and I have competed against each other, but not in these circumstances," Chan said. "Since I'm going to be bringing two quads, and he's pretty much the quad king, we're going to have quite a good quad battle, and we haven't had that (at nationals) in a while.

eta. I don't understand why so much hate for Kevin's hair. It's pretty cool, probably as expensive and high maintenance as many women's "natural look". :) Why so sure that judges hold it against him?

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kevin has naturally curly hair, which he straightens and then allows it to stick out all over his head like a Chia pet. It looks sloppy and unkempt-NOT cool and definitely not 'natural'. Sometimes I wonder if his jump problems are exacerbated by all that hair hanging in his face, obscuring his vision.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
eta. I don't understand why so much hate for Kevin's hair. It's pretty cool, probably as expensive and high maintenance as many women's "natural look". :) Why so sure that judges hold it against him?[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to belittle his choice of hair style, but there are some functional aspects that might be hindering his performance as the poster below indicates:

Kevin has naturally curly hair, which he straightens and then allows it to stick out all over his head like a Chia pet. It looks sloppy and unkempt-NOT cool and definitely not 'natural'. Sometimes I wonder if his jump problems are exacerbated by all that hair hanging in his face, obscuring his vision.

Of course judges are supposed to be "impartial" but they are humans. If his hairstyle annoys many of us fans, I can only assume that some of those judges also wonder about his hairstyle, too.

Let's face it. Aesthetics/presentation/appearance can enhance technical ability you display. For that matter, I would like to see his hair better kempt. Getting a bit of tan might also help create better definition, as he is very pale, and sometimes I cannot discern where his light colored hair ends and his skin begins. Finally I would like to see him in a better fitted outfit.

All those points may enable to present himself better, which I assume would enhance considerable technical skills he already possess.

I wish him the best luck.

nadster

Final Flight
Let's face it. Aesthetics/presentation/appearance can enhance technical ability you display. For that matter, I would like to see his hair better kempt. Getting a bit of tan might also help create better definition, as he is very pale, and sometimes I cannot discern where his light colored hair ends and his skin begins. Finally I would like to see him in a better fitted outfit.

All those points may enable to present himself better, which I assume would enhance considerable technical skills he already possess.

I wish him the best luck.

Getting a tan ( whether by sun or tanning bed ) is not healthy especially for fair skinned redheads like Kevin. He can however fake one with tanning creams and bronzing powders to get the look you are talking about.

Getting a tan ( whether by sun or tanning bed ) is not healthy especially for fair skinned redheads like Kevin. He can however fake one with tanning creams and bronzing powders to get the look you are talking about.
Fair skinned people should spend 1/2 hour in the Sun because it is the sun's rays that has the beneficial vitamin D3. Keven would not burn for 1/2 hour in the sun, but also get a little tanned by the end of summer if he wants that.

Lots of male competitors are using cleverly disguised makeup for competition. Why not? Many professional men do it discreetly in business.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I think chuck's being polite about the hair. It looks like individual strands are going to war with each other. It makes his already minor presentation skills look even worse.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fair skinned people should spend 1/2 hour in the Sun because it is the sun's rays that has the beneficial vitamin D3. Keven would not burn for 1/2 hour in the sun, but also get a little tanned by the end of summer if he wants that.

Lots of male competitors are using cleverly disguised makeup for competition. Why not? Many professional men do it discreetly in business.

Kevin has the kind of skin that never tans, just burns and peels, and freckles. He should not spend more than 30 minutes in the sun per day, and never between the hours of 11 am and 3 pm. Tanning beds are a serious cancer risk.

There are tanning creams that provide a tan appearance without the risk of sun exposure. But considering that most of Kevin's face is not visible under his wild hair, I don't know why he would even bother.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Most skaters will glide on a back outside edge before turning to the forward outside edge of an Axel. I find that it could be problematic. When I skated I found that using a choctaw from the back inside edge to the forward outside edge was easier. I never noticed Kevin's preparation for the Axel, but I believe Lambiel had that problem and he should have switched to the choctaw.

I personally don't see how a choctaw entrance would make a Triple Axel easier. You'd be forcing your body to change direction right before jumping.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Thanks for posting oak10008. That explains a lot... like his performance at Nats and 4CC's. Here's hoping he can pull it out for Worlds. He's a nice kid, and I hope he does well.

nadster

Final Flight
I personally don't see how a choctaw entrance would make a Triple Axel easier. You'd be forcing your body to change direction right before jumping.

Well I understand your point.

However many skaters doing a mohawk off the back outside edge tend to lose speed on the BO edge and the curve they should be staying on collapses ( for good technique ).

Kevin really does slow down on his BO edge causing the collapse and this gives him problems.

The BI-FO choctaw at least prevents the collapsing of the curve. However it may force one to go too far outside the curve at takeoff.

There are pros and cons to both techniques IMO.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The article linked a couple posts above states that Reynolds won't be going for the 2nd quad in the short. I'd say that pretty much destroy's Reynold's chances for a top ten finish.

gottadance

On the Ice
re Canadian future hopes

none of you seem to be mentioning Jeremy Ten - I know he was out for a good part of the season with an injury but I have always felt he has great potential - any ideas on how he is doing in his recovery and does anybody knowlegable about the Canadian scene think he might be a factor for the 2nd or 3rd( hopefully ) spot next year?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I like Jeremy a lot and feel bad for his lousy season. Back to back with first 2 comps of the season in Japan then Canada, with jet jag, a serious flu and 2 exams in between. He had the surgery and couldn't skate for 2 1/2 months. On Mar. 14, he twitted:

30 mins till I touch the ice! No matter what happens from this day forward, I know for that brief second, that 1st glide after 2 1/2 months
I'm going to experience true serenity wash over me. <3
First 5 minutes, almost bailed trying to skate backwards. I honestly panicked and though 'OMG I forgot how to skate!' Then I did a camel and
realized I didn't. I think there was a smile on my face the entire hour on the ice. Except for the moments where I was out of breath...I'm
so excited for this journey! I would've taken a picture but my phone
died :(

@van3ssaharris0n Don't know when my next competition will be. I just got back on the ice on Monday but won't be jumping for a while.
18 Mar

3 months since surgery and no jumping and I landed a triple toe first try. Feelin pretty good :)
1 Apr

Lately it's all about marathon exams.

He is a prolific twitter. I kind of half follow whenever I check Skatersnews site. Very sweet kid.

I hope he is back on track and shows us a new Jeremy soon. I really like his skating though he had trouble with his jumps this last year. Surgery is supposed to fix that.