Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The American Ladies Leading Up To Sochi.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    You have a point...however, since 2008, Nagasu has not beaten Flatt at US Nationals. s..
    I guess I do have a point since Rachael did not beat Mirai at the Olympics, Worlds or 4cc.

As a fan of US ladies which results do you think matter more?

While you are at it consider the scores Rachael gets at Natls which are higher than how Intl judges score her. As we have seen that is not always the case for Mirai.

Does it matter? A non-fan should not have a problem overlooking the obvious, no?

Tell you what, Rachael is overdue for a really good skate. Hope she brings it at Worlds and can finish in the top six.
    Last edited by janetfan; 04-20-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Shoe Diva
    This is a very interesting thread and I understand the difference between speculation and actual factual data but when I think back to the 2010 Olympic Cycle, I think of titles like: Mao, Yuna, Kimmie and Emily will battle it out to see who will win gold! Caroline Zhang - the Next Big Thing! and whatnot. Its waaayy too early to tell.

I have little confidence that Yuna, Miki and Alissa will stick around that long. Mao is always a question mark in my mind. Rachael will need to decide between skating and school at some point. Ashley needs major work across the board to compete today, much less in two years. Things get interesting when you start talking about Christina and Agnes. One will be the US's best hope and the other will be done. Christina looks the part, Agnes skates the part but who wll it be? Its hard to tell. Agnes today appears to have the edge, but she's not there yet for all the reasons listed above. Christina has the look of a US champ but her skating leaves me cold. But to be honest, both resemble other skaters that its hard to get a good feel for their true talent level. Do I like Agnes' skating or the whole Tonya Harding look & vibe? Is Christina really that elegant or does she remind me of Yuna? Its hard to say...

Its also hard to predict how the newbies on the JGP circuit are gonna fare on the big stage... After Caroline, I try not to pay attention until they hit the seniors rank - too many skaters, not enough time...

Now, my darling namesake MiRai is the true question mark. Since 2010, she's said she is the future of this sport. And I agree. But that future started this season. She has all the potential and talent to be legendary but she's gonna have to learn to compete. RD is right - she's getting her clock cleaned by skaters without her natural talent because that competitive it-factor isn't syncing up with her star quality. It might be time for her to switch coaches but it also might time for her to get to a sports psychologist...

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Yes, Mishin must have been thinking about giant, hulking, railroad-building Russian women like Ekaterina Gordeeva when he said that. Or Elena Berezhnaya. Possibly Vera Bazarova as well. Their hips definitely don't lie.

The thing is, there are so many good Russian girls that the odds are at least one of them will be able to retain their jumps post-puberty. For example--I believe Mishin himself has made inquiries about the physical size of Liza T's parents before taking her on as a pupil.
    I think you're correct. Mishin did inquire about the size of Liza T's parents before taking her on. So maybe Liza T will remain waif like as Mishin is one smart cookie. Gordeeva and Berezhnaya were pretty thin when they competed as are most Russian pairs skaters. Gordeeva is still very thin. But neither were singles skaters doing triple triples or triple axels. going back to the title of this thread....I think Mirai and Christina are our best bets going into Sochi. Im just not that exited about any of the new young ones. But...we all know that if there's one out there she will break through in the next two seasons just in time for Sochi.

Custom Title
    Kwanford Wife I think you have a point about Agnes and Christina. They are both talented, to be sure, but I agree that Agnes has the looks, jumps, and attack of a jockette power skater in the vein of Tonya Harding, Irina Slutskaya, etc and Christina the asian beauty factor, jumping ability, and long, lithe body line similar to Yuna Kim, Mao Asada, Shizuka Arakawa, etc. For both girls, I think their respective "images" work in their favor. It's exciting to ascertain the possibility that the US might have the next Irina Slutskaya or Yuna Kim coming up through the ranks. But just because Agnes is muscular, explosive, and flexible like Irina and Christina is asian, long-limbed, and capable of a great 3f-3t like Yuna, doesn't mean that our hopes will become a reality - but they could and I think that's why a lot of people, myself included, are expecting big things from them in the future, particularly because it's hard to predict what will happen to the girls younger and older than those two in the next three years and Mirai continues to be an enigma.

Custom Title
    Rachel beat Mirai 200 to 188 at 2010 Nats, but many watching on TV without slow mo thought Mirai the winner. Mirai was called for 2 or 3 UR's. In 2011 Nats, Rachel won 183 v 177. Both had 2 major mistakes, and it looked pretty even to many. Rachel had her competitive face on, and was rewarded accordingly. Mirai had her beautiful lines and extensions, and received little reward. So Rachel received a 200 at 2010 Nats, but 182 in Vancouver and 167 at Torino worlds, whichs supports Hernando's contention.
    This season, Mirai has gone from 146 coming off an injury at Coc, 167 at TEB, 177 at Nats, and 189 at 4CC. There was a big scoring increase in each succeeding competition.

Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    Rachel had her competitive face on, and was rewarded accordingly. Mirai had her beautiful lines and extensions, and received little reward.
    That is a very interesting point. The first rule of show business, sell it, sell it. sell it.

When Mirai came off the ice she looked defeated. If she had just held her head up a lttle she might have got ten more points.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    ...Rachael will need to decide between skating and school at some point. Ashley needs major work across the board to compete today, much less in two years. Things get interesting when you start talking about Christina and Agnes. One will be the US's best hope and the other will be done. Christina looks the part, Agnes skates the part but who wll it be? Its hard to tell. Agnes today appears to have the edge, but she's not there yet for all the reasons listed above. Christina has the look of a US champ but her skating leaves me cold. But to be honest, both resemble other skaters that its hard to get a good feel for their true talent level. Do I like Agnes' skating or the whole Tonya Harding look & vibe? Is Christina really that elegant or does she remind me of Yuna? Its hard to say...
    Agree with much of this post. I'd give it another year to allow Gao and Zawadzki to come into their element though. One never knows- remember the ugly duckling?

I think Rachel has already chosen school, and it's only a matter of time before she either leaves, or her level of competitiveness begins to slide. Wagner needs work (a LOT of work), but I'll hold off on calling her a lost cause for now since she seems determined to make the necessary changes. CZhang basically out of it now. Czisny is ALWAYS a question mark in any competition. Like I said before, that leaves only Nagasu...

(If Czisny happens to do amazingly well at Worlds (i.e. medal) and decides to continue on to next season, thoughts may need to be revised somewhat, but until that happens, what I said above stands.)

It might be time for [Nagasu] to switch coaches but it also might time for her to get to a sports psychologist...
    I think Nagasu needs to FIRST decide whether it is worth the effort. If there's something else she would rather do than skate, it might be a good idea to head in that direction. I elaborated in a previous post but when things come to you easily and you have a talent, I'm telling you it is QUITE easy to get comfortable and coast through. Talent alone isn't enough- you need what Yuna Kim has, the drive, work ethic and determination to go along with that talent. Not saying that is what is happening to Nagasu per se, but it is a scenario that the armchair skate fan should consider (IMO).

When Mirai came off the ice she looked defeated. If she had just held her head up a lttle she might have got ten more points.
    All that is needed in this "sport", no?

Custom Title
    All that is needed in this "sport", no?
    Fact: Abbott was all happy and nonchalant after his LP at Nats but he still missed the podium and a trip to Worlds by less than a point, lost to a newbie with no rep.

By the time a skater gets off the ice, the judges have already entered all their GOEs, even if the TP may do some reviews. So far tech call controversies have been mostly from the US Nationals.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 04-20-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Agree with much of this post. I'd give it another year to allow Gao and Zawadzki to come into their element though. One never knows- remember the ugly duckling?

I think Rachel has already chosen school, and it's only a matter of time before she either leaves, or her level of competitiveness begins to slide. Wagner needs work (a LOT of work), but I'll hold off on calling her a lost cause for now since she seems determined to make the necessary changes. CZhang basically out of it now. Czisny is ALWAYS a question mark in any competition. Like I said before, that leaves only Nagasu...

(If Czisny happens to do amazingly well at Worlds (i.e. medal) and decides to continue on to next season, thoughts may need to be revised somewhat, but until that happens, what I said above stands.)

I think Nagasu needs to FIRST decide whether it is worth the effort. If there's something else she would rather do than skate, it might be a good idea to head in that direction. I elaborated in a previous post but when things come to you easily and you have a talent, I'm telling you it is QUITE easy to get comfortable and coast through. Talent alone isn't enough- you need what Yuna Kim has, the drive, work ethic and determination to go along with that talent. Not saying that is what is happening to Nagasu per se, but it is a scenario that the armchair skate fan should consider (IMO).
    Who was the ugly duckling??

And I agree with you regarding Rachael and Mirai, and Alissa too. So at this point it's a "wait and see" game for most of the girls actually.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    By the time a skater gets off the ice, the judges have already entered all their GOEs,...
    They might still be mulling over the P/E component, though. Pick up those teddy bears like you just conquered the world! A few fist pumps never hurt, either. The judges might think, gee, maybe that wasn't as bad as I thought.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Who was the ugly duckling??
    No one in particular. I was just making the point that a skater may look and perform differently at 18 than at 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That is a very interesting point. The first rule of show business, sell it, sell it. sell it.

Mirai forgot she was competing in a pageant

She most likely knew in a close contest the US judges would not give it to her.
    Seems like it is becoming a habit.
    Last edited by janetfan; 04-21-2011 at 06:37 AM.

Custom Title
    I sense a lot of negativity in this thread, like the U.S. ladies have no chance at the next few Worlds or the next Olympics. But I remember the sage advice my driving instructor gave me.

"It's the car you don't see that kills you."

Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    Mirai forgot she was competing in a pageant
    Well, here's what I think about that. All sport is pageant. Check out the chariot race in Ben Hur. This is not to say that Judah Ben Hur was not a superbly trained athlete (a couple of years of cross-training as a rower did wonders.) What figure skating needs is some of those decorative fish on poles that dip down to mark the revolutions in a spin.

Check out the Olympics. The most popular events are the opening and closing ceremonies.

When the final flight of skaters enters the arena an insipid voice drones over the PA system, "Will the following skaters please take the ice?" When a football team comes out onto the field, they've got cheerleaders, they've got baton twirlers, they've got the card section, they've got Janet Jackson falling out of her top, they've got a 150-piece marching band blaring out the fight song, they've got a mascot in a tiger costume AND a live tiger in a cage. Now that's sports!

Back in the day, figure skating was half sport, half pageant. The sport part comprised the school figures. The pageant part was the free skating.

Then they dropped figures.

^^^ Am in total agreement but can we also say some sports are more "pageanty" than others?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast