Worlds 2011: Ladies predictions | Golden Skate

Worlds 2011: Ladies predictions

christinaskater

Medalist
This is going to be an amazing event

I guess
it's going to be a battle between Yu-Na, Mao, Miki

But I think the dark horse of the event is Kanako Murakami.

The girl has the goods and if pressure is off her shoulders, who knows what will happen!

Alissa may also factor and so will Rachael!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
With Worlds not being in Japan I dont see any chance for Miki Ando to win anymore. Especialy with the more talented skaters like Asada (on the track of improvement after some changes) and Kim (more time after taking some time off) giving some important extra time to prepare.

I see Kim probably winning, Asada probably 2nd, and Ando probably 3rd now. Czisny, Koster, and Murakami will be mostly shooting to try and take the bronze from Ando or from Asada if she makes enough mistakes.

Kim will need to make atleast 3 significant mistakes to lose unless Asada skates squeeky clean with all her content then she can only afford 1.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I keep forgetting about Murakami. She could sneak in there for a medal. The real question mark is Kim. She's the Olympic Champion but no one's seen her skate competitively in over a year, and her training situation isn't even the same as last year so who knows what she will do. I can't really see her out of hte top 5, barring a huge meltdown, but I'll entertain the possibility of her not being on the podium.

jadore

Spectator
I hope Mao can culminate a very rocky season with great skates at Worlds. But in my opinion it’s between Kim and Ando. Even if we haven’t seen Kim all season, and even with all the drama that has come to define her past year, when she’s on, she’s without a doubt the best. I think she’s hard working enough to go into Worlds and win. Ando has been having a great season so I think she can keep up the pace, even with the postponement. She lacks the charisma of the others but makes up for that with consistency. Although I must admit, every time I see her short program my wind wanders and I start thinking about Matt Savoie at '06 Nationals (sigh!).

Czisny is my dark horse. I hope she was able to calm down her nerves after 4CC. It would suck if she peaked at nationals – I really want her to sneak onto the podium and end her a career on a high note. Her long program is such a gem.

I also keep forgetting about Murakami but she could definitely sneak up there too. I will admit I’m not her biggest fan – in a year or two with better programs and a little bit more maturity, she will shine as she has all the capabilities.

Flatt – SP is a HUGE improvement but I just don’t see her on the podium. She has a great SP that suits her now, and an LP that I find terrible. If she continues on next season, I hope she keeps the short and gets a new long! (Also, I’m still bitter about Mirai not being at worlds, shh!)

My wishlist:
1. Kim
2. Asada
3. Czisny (please please please)
4. Ando
5. Murakami
6-10 (not in order) Flatt, Korpi, Kostner, Phaneuf (the Canadian in me hopes), Makarova

Ahh, what a first post! Nice to finally join the discussion instead of lurking :)

Krislite

Medalist
Since my wishes, predictions and expectations are often contrary to reality, perhaps the skating gods might indulge me if I play reverse psychology with them and say I expect the following results at Worlds:

1. Carolina Kostner
2. Miki Ando
3. Rachael Flatt

Yes. Mao and Yuna will suffer epic meltdowns and fall off the podium. :p

R.D.

Record Breaker
Czisny is my dark horse. I hope she was able to calm down her nerves after 4CC. It would suck if she peaked at nationals

Wouldn't be the first time though...

Or worse, she peaks in the early GP events and it's downhill from there.

Like I said in a previous post...Czisny is a question mark at EVERY competition she enters.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Since my wishes, predictions and expectations are often contrary to reality, perhaps the skating gods might indulge me if I play reverse psychology with them and say I expect the following results at Worlds:

1. Carolina Kostner
2. Miki Ando
3. Rachael Flatt

I like Flatt on that podium.......but that's about it. :p

This event is probably the widest open it's ever been in a long time. To me, the real variable is what kind of shape Yuna Kim shows up in. If she's anywhere near her best, cancel the competition and mail her the GM. Otherwise, it is really wide open to anyone who rises to the occasion. The spoilers could be Murakami, Czisny and/or Kostner if they're at their best. Kostner in particular probably doesn't even need her best because the judges will likely boost her anyway.

Krislite

Medalist
I like Flatt on that podium.......but that's about it. :p

This event is probably the widest open it's ever been in a long time. To me, the real variable is what kind of shape Yuna Kim shows up in. If she's anywhere near her best, cancel the competition and mail her the GM. Otherwise, it is really wide open to anyone who rises to the occasion. The spoilers could be Murakami, Czisny and/or Kostner if they're at their best. Kostner in particular probably doesn't even need her best because the judges will likely boost her anyway.

We'll find out what shape she's in this weekend when practice sessions begin. No doubt the Korean media will have video footage of every second of her practices from dozens of angles. It'll be the first time we hear the music and see the full choreography as well (except for Blades of Passion who claims to have already seen her programs :p).

b-man

Final Flight

1. Carolina Kostner
2. Miki Ando
3. Rachael Flatt

Yes. Mao and Yuna will suffer epic meltdowns and fall off the podium. :p

Yuna had a major meltdown in last years worlds, 3 major mistakes in the short, and 2 major mistakes in the FS. It didn't keep the judges from giving her a win in the FS and a silver overall.

pokky_oc

On the Ice
I have a feeling that Mao will have two fantastic skates with 3A that's better than the one in 4CC with 3F+3Lo in the free skate... As for Yu-Na, there's absolutely no clip of her doing any jump ( even the double axel ) so I'm not too sure how she'll skate!

Krislite

Medalist
I have a feeling that Mao will have two fantastic skates with 3A that's better than the one in 4CC with 3F+3Lo in the free skate... As for Yu-Na, there's absolutely no clip of her doing any jump ( even the double axel ) so I'm not too sure how she'll skate!

That's because they've been a tease about it all year long, saving it as a surprise. The choreography, the music, the jumps--no one but a privileged few were allowed to see before Worlds. But over the next few days we'll finally get to see both of her programs in full (assuming she does full run-through's in practice).

dlgpffps

Final Flight
As for Yu-Na, there's absolutely no clip of her doing any jump ( even the double axel ) so I'm not too sure how she'll skate!

Now there is. She delivered a clean SP with a 3Lz-3T as good as ever. Now that I've seen her skate, I'll give my predictions

Gold: Yu-na Kim
Silver: Mao Asada or Miki Ando
Bronze: Mao Asada or Miki Ando or Alissa Czisny or Carolina Kostner or Kanako Murakami

My dream podium would be
Silver: Mao Asada
Bronze: Alissa Czisny

but I can't imagine Miki off the podium. Mind you, I adore Miki's personality and acknowledge the immense improvement she's made to her performance & spins, but believe Yu-na Kim, Mao Asada and Alissa Czisny are better overall skaters. I'm actually looking forward to a clean or almost clean Yu-na. If she makes only one mistake during her first practice session of the season (admittedly nervous), while adjusting to Russia's new experimental softer-on-knees ice, I don't think it's a tall order for her to go clean a la Vancouver. It's amazing how her jumps have not deteriorated in the least. I see Mao going clean but getting hit with a call or two (hence Yu-na's win), but only a small margin separating the two skaters. Miki will probably go clean, but I think she hit her score limit back at 4CC, which does not meet Yu-na's or Mao's PBs (hence bronze). Perhaps I'm being over optimistic, but my gut feeling is that this Worlds will be great, with the top contenders all delivering fantastic skates and the very best winning.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Czisny could be 3rd......or 15th.

Kim is likely going to be on the podium somewhere, and if reports are any indication, most likely on the top of it.

Asada and Ando have a habit of peaking toward the end of the season, but have they already peaked at 4CC? Time will tell.

I just hope the medals go to whomever deserves them and there is no "padding".

I see Mao, Kim, Ando, in that order. The rest of the Field would be the iffies they skate clean: Kostner, Makarova, Korpi, Cizny, Flatt in some order between 4th and 8th.

The Americans need a 5th and an 8th to bring back the 3 places for the next worlds. it's possible, but clean routines are a must.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Now there is. She delivered a clean SP with a 3Lz-3T as good as ever. Now that I've seen her skate, I'll give my predictions

Silver: Mao Asada or Miki Ando
Bronze: Mao Asada or Miki Ando or Alissa Czisny or Carolina Kostner or Kanako Murakami

My dream podium would be
Silver: Mao Asada
Bronze: Alissa Czisny

but I can't imagine Miki off the podium. Mind you, I adore Miki's personality and acknowledge the immense improvement she's made to her performance & spins, but believe Yu-na Kim, Mao Asada and Alissa Czisny are better overall skaters. I'm actually looking forward to a clean or almost clean Yu-na. If she makes only one mistake during her first practice session of the season (admittedly nervous), while adjusting to Russia's new experimental softer-on-knees ice, I don't think it's a tall order for her to go clean a la Vancouver. It's amazing how her jumps have not deteriorated in the least. I see Mao going clean but getting hit with a call or two (hence Yu-na's win), but only a small margin separating the two skaters. Miki will probably go clean, but I think she hit her score limit back at 4CC, which does not meet Yu-na's or Mao's PBs (hence bronze). Perhaps I'm being over optimistic, but my gut feeling is that this Worlds will be great, with the top contenders all delivering fantastic skates and the very best winning.

I doubt Mao will be clean or place higher than 3rd. I think Yuna and Miki are going to be 1 and 2 in whatever order, Mao will likely be 3rd but with the possibility of Kanako, Alissa, or Carolina sneaking in there and snatching the medal from her. I think Kanako probably has the best shot at taking advantage and medaling should one of the favorites falter.

miki88

Medalist
If Miki wants to exceed her score at 4CC, she better go for the 3/3 in actual competition. It's never easy to predict how Mao will do but she does tend to surprise us when it's least expected. ;)

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I don't know who to root for. I want to see them all skate clean. This is going to be a great World. I'm going to watch all of them on live stream, get days off for this competition, just soak it all in:)))