Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Worlds 2011: Ladies predictions

Down With It
    Czisny could be 3rd......or 15th.

Kim is likely going to be on the podium somewhere, and if reports are any indication, most likely on the top of it.

Asada and Ando have a habit of peaking toward the end of the season, but have they already peaked at 4CC? Time will tell.

I just hope the medals go to whomever deserves them and there is no "padding".

I see Mao, Kim, Ando, in that order. The rest of the Field would be the iffies they skate clean: Kostner, Makarova, Korpi, Cizny, Flatt in some order between 4th and 8th.

The Americans need a 5th and an 8th to bring back the 3 places for the next worlds. it's possible, but clean routines are a must.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    Now there is. She delivered a clean SP with a 3Lz-3T as good as ever. Now that I've seen her skate, I'll give my predictions

Gold: Yu-na Kim
    Silver: Mao Asada or Miki Ando
    Bronze: Mao Asada or Miki Ando or Alissa Czisny or Carolina Kostner or Kanako Murakami

My dream podium would be
    Gold: Yu-na Kim
    Silver: Mao Asada
    Bronze: Alissa Czisny

but I can't imagine Miki off the podium. Mind you, I adore Miki's personality and acknowledge the immense improvement she's made to her performance & spins, but believe Yu-na Kim, Mao Asada and Alissa Czisny are better overall skaters. I'm actually looking forward to a clean or almost clean Yu-na. If she makes only one mistake during her first practice session of the season (admittedly nervous), while adjusting to Russia's new experimental softer-on-knees ice, I don't think it's a tall order for her to go clean a la Vancouver. It's amazing how her jumps have not deteriorated in the least. I see Mao going clean but getting hit with a call or two (hence Yu-na's win), but only a small margin separating the two skaters. Miki will probably go clean, but I think she hit her score limit back at 4CC, which does not meet Yu-na's or Mao's PBs (hence bronze). Perhaps I'm being over optimistic, but my gut feeling is that this Worlds will be great, with the top contenders all delivering fantastic skates and the very best winning.
    I doubt Mao will be clean or place higher than 3rd. I think Yuna and Miki are going to be 1 and 2 in whatever order, Mao will likely be 3rd but with the possibility of Kanako, Alissa, or Carolina sneaking in there and snatching the medal from her. I think Kanako probably has the best shot at taking advantage and medaling should one of the favorites falter.

Mashimaro on Ice
    If Miki wants to exceed her score at 4CC, she better go for the 3/3 in actual competition. It's never easy to predict how Mao will do but she does tend to surprise us when it's least expected.

Custom Title
    I don't know who to root for. I want to see them all skate clean. This is going to be a great World. I'm going to watch all of them on live stream, get days off for this competition, just soak it all in))

Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    If Miki wants to exceed her score at 4CC, she better go for the 3/3 in actual competition. It's never easy to predict how Mao will do but she does tend to surprise us when it's least expected.
    Mao skated very well in Vancouver and at Worlds last season. I would NOT be surprised in the least if Mao finished 1st or 2nd in Moscow.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I doubt Mao will be clean or place higher than 3rd.
    Well, to be clear I meant clean as in no-falls clean (Nationals, 4CC). I would never consider her 4CC performance "clean" in the very essence of the word since she got an edge call & two < calls (plus she two-footed a jump or two), but I have a hunch that she will keep on her feet this time as well... but I need to see practice clips to be sure.

I doubt Mao will be free of calls. I'm very sure she will get an edge call on her flutz & a < or << on her 2A-3T. When was the last time she was able to fully rotate the 2A-3T in international competition? 2007 Worlds, I think, but I'm up for correction. I don't understand why she keeps bringing it. That her combo's short on rotation is visible even in real time, even to this casual viewer. She probably has a better chance getting her 3F-3Lo combination ratified, given what I've seen in her most recent practice clips.

Anyways, here's to hoping Mao the best. Her LP hasn't been this good since... well, Czardas & I'd love to see it performed to its utmost potential. I also love how her 3A is turning up, so I want to see some of those executed as well.

Custom Title
    Miki is doing 3Sal-3loop, and it looks fully rotated. ~2-6 points increase on BV. I think if Miki's clean, Miki will win, with Morozov's blessings. I think this will be her second title.

3lutz-2loop
    3loop
    3sal-3loop
    ---------
    3lutz
    2A-3toe-2loop
    2A
    2lutz (or 3flip)

Oh in my post I said "some of those [3As]" assuming that she's doing one in the SP and two in the LP. She did only one in her LP back in Taipei, but I remember having read that her ultimate goal for Worlds is to do two 3As and a 3-3 in her LP. Can someone confirm this?

Mashimaro on Ice
    Oh in my post I said "some of those [3As]" assuming that she's doing one in the SP and two in the LP. She did only one in her LP back in Taipei, but I remember having read that her ultimate goal for Worlds is to do two 3As and a 3-3 in her LP. Can someone confirm this?
    This layout was mentioned earlier in the season. I think when she was still training with Nakagubo. After Sato became her coach, he cautioned her against going for two 3As in the LP. After 4CC, Mao mentioned about continuing to polish her present jumps including the 2A-3T, so I'm not sure if they are going to change the present layout. I also remember Mao wanting to try the 3-3 in competition again but Sato says they should wait and see before making a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Miki is doing 3Sal-3loop, and it looks fully rotated. ~2-6 points increase on BV. I think if Miki's clean, Miki will win, with Morozov's blessings. I think this will be her second title.

3lutz-2loop
    3loop
    3sal-3loop
    ---------
    3lutz
    2A-3toe-2loop
    2A
    2lutz (or 3flip)
    Nope, still think Taipei's her score limit. I don't see Miki actually going for a 2Lz or bringing back her shaky 3F (just to risky. She's been clean all season round with her current layout. Why change now, at the most important competition of the season?) Bringing in the 3S-3Lo may increase BV, but probably won't be worth the GOE she can gain from going with her previous layout.

Shoe Diva
    I predict a nonsurprising podium, regardless of the placements, three spots of the US ladies and lots o' grousing & wuz robbing from the fans...

Custom Title
    Nope, still think Taipei's her score limit. I don't see Miki actually going for a 2Lz or bringing back her shaky 3F (just to risky. She's been clean all season round with her current layout. Why change now, at the most important competition of the season?) Bringing in the 3S-3Lo may increase BV, but probably won't be worth the GOE she can gain from going with her previous layout.
    What are you saying? Her score limit is limited by what she will do. Taipei's score is scored on what she did in Taipei.

Bringing in the 3S-3Lo allows her to repeat the Loop instead of the 3Toe. It's not like doing 3Toe by itself gained her that much GOE anyway.

She would have an extra jumping pass to do, and if she's still shaky on that 3F, the 2Lz would be the best choice. Or she can just do a 3F without any transition. That was her downfall on the 3F.

So she will gain a few points by going for this layout. If Miki's clean, it will take a clean Kim to beat her. Kim's BV is a bit less than Miki's. Miki has Morozov and skates in Russia and is Japanese. Her PCS will be good. Just like Joannie's inflated PCS in Vancouver.

/(^.^)/\(^.^)\
    I doubt Mao will be free of calls. I'm very sure she will get an edge call on her flutz & a < or << on her 2A-3T. When was the last time she was able to fully rotate the 2A-3T in international competition? 2007 Worlds, I think, but I'm up for correction. I don't understand why she keeps bringing it.
    "Keeps on"? 4CC was only the second time Mao attempted this combo since Worlds 2007. And despite attempting the combo for the first time in a long time, she didn't splat. Her 4CC combo looked better than the JO one, and the one done in the warm-up looked fully rotated. The ice coverage on 2A has improved a lot - Mao used to jump more "up-and-down", now her 2A's cover a lot of ice.

From the technical POV: "Because when there's no challenge, there's no progress." And I think Mao has her sights on making the Guiness book as the first lady to land 8 triples in a program. Not this season, maybe not the next - she mentioned that she's aware that re-tooling her jumps might take 2-3 seasons.

Her LP hasn't been this good since... well, Czardas & I'd love to see it performed to its utmost potential. I also love how her 3A is turning up, so I want to see some of those executed as well.
    Each to his own, I guess. I'm not particularly font of Czardas - it could be good if Mao wasn't hit by a growth spurt, which made her skate a bit too slowly and cautiously for such lively music. I loved Fantasie Impromptu, though.

She did only one in her LP back in Taipei, but I remember having read that her ultimate goal for Worlds is to do two 3As and a 3-3 in her LP. Can someone confirm this?
    She definitely won't attempt two triple axels in her LP, although dhe might do 3F-3L. It isn't her ultimate goal for this season, though - she's more concentrated on improving her speed and flow and continuing to re-work her technique.

The layout with two 3As and possibly two 3-3s is Mao's ultimate goal, but for Sochi. ^^'

Custom Title
    ETA. She is doing great so far and all she has to do is repeat the same performances from 4CC and there is no way Miki will be off the podium. No ones other than Kim and Asada can over take her points wise. Even if Cizney, Flatt, Kostner & Murakami goes super clean, I doubt they will crack the 190 mark.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast