Random Figure Skating Thoughts. | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Thoughts.

Jtsmith123

Rinkside
This is just a thread to talk about all the random things involving the sport of figure skating, the skaters etc..

Why is the Kiss and Cry actually called a Kiss and Cry ?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
lots of cheek kissing in celebration... lots of crying in defeat... I don't know when it started being called that.

prettykeys

Medalist
What's that new men's spin I've been seeing lately...the one where they are bent over forward with their butt sticking up? Makes me think of a pylon.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^^That is the spin invented by Emanuel Sandhu when he was very young, around 15 or 16 maybe. Not very pretty but not easy either with your head down, not able to use the usual technique to prevent dizziness.

prettykeys

Medalist
^^^^That is the spin invented by Emanuel Sandhu when he was very young, around 15 or 16 maybe. Not very pretty but not easy either with your head down, not able to use the usual technique to prevent dizziness.
Oh jeez, so it's not that new? Why are more people doing it lately? :confused: Definitely not nice to look at. :p

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it was pretty popular at the start of the CoP, the only one I can think of that does it now is Ryan Bradley... but I'm sure there are others.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Oh jeez, so it's not that new? Why are more people doing it lately? :confused:
Because of the spin rule change for this season (to get a higher level).

ETA: See gkelly's post below for more details. ;) Yes, I agree that this spin is unattractively done by the majority of skaters.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
That is the spin invented by Emanuel Sandhu when he was very young, around 15 or 16 maybe.

Older than that. The first I remember seeing it was in this combination spin (that starts at 2:19).

Why have we been seeing it more lately?

If executed adequately, it counts as a difficult variation of an upright position, i.e., a feature to help the skater earn a higher level on the spin. So some skaters have been doing it ever since they realized several years ago they could get points for it in the current system.

And as of this season skaters can't repeat the same kind of difficult upright variation in two different spins, so if they do two combination spins with difficult upright variations they need two different ones.

Also now we're seeing skaters on the junior and senior levels who have been working on these difficult variations since they were kids, and thus they can do positions that skaters who were already full-grown when the rules changed couldn't learn as easily.

Unfortunately for spectators, executing this position adequately to achieve the feature is often not attractive to look at.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Older than that. The first I remember seeing it was in this combination spin (that starts at 2:19).

Why have we been seeing it more lately?

If executed adequately, it counts as a difficult variation of an upright position, i.e., a feature to help the skater earn a higher level on the spin.

Julia Sebestyen also used to do that ugly spin before COP. This is from worlds 2000 (at about 2 minutes) I remember comments that it didn't look "that nice".

The bowing spin looks cool to me though. Not so much used nowadays. I remember Tara's at olympics 1998 and I have seen it recently, but don't recall who did it. Isn't this spin hard to do as well? Seems to me that your head going up and down at the same time as around should make you even more dizzy.

Another question:
Some skaters pinch their ear lobes in K&C. After a good skate, right? What does it mean?

Why is the Kiss and Cry actually called a Kiss and Cry ?

Sonia Bianchetti credits the invention of the term “kiss and cry” to Finnish skating official Jane Erkko. Erkko had made a joke about a pair of ice dancers who kissed and cried while they were waiting for thir marks. At the 1983 world championships in Helsinki, she drew up a floor plan of the arena for the television crews and designated this area as “kiss and cry.”

http://figureskating.about.com/od/historyoffigureskating/f/kisscryhistory.htm

Prettykeys said:
What's that new men's spin I've been seeing lately...the one where they are bent over forward with their butt sticking up? Makes me think of a pylon.

I have heard this spin called the “A spin.” I naively thought that meant that the skater’s body is in the shape of the letter A.

gkelly said:
it counts as a difficult variation of an upright position,...

Stretching the meaning of the word “upright”…

Snowflake said:
The bowing spin looks cool to me though.

Love your new avatar! :)

I thinkthat's called the "illusion spin." That has an interesting history, too, but I forgot the details. A famous skater invented it by accident when she lost control of her camel spin, or something like that.

Some skaters pinch their ear lobes in K&C. After a good skate, right? What does it mean?

Michelle Kwan used to do that. I always thought it was a secret shout-out to a particular friend or family member. Then she added touching her nose and then rubbing her brow. (I guess she made two new friends.)

Carol Burnett used to give a little tug on her earlobe at the end of her TV shows as a salute to her grandmother.

Trivia question: Was it the right or the left ear?

Answer: Right for Michelle, left for Carol Burnett. :laugh:

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Yes it is an illusion spin when you have that movement in the camel spin; I'd be interested to know what it is called as under COP, as it is not a camel spin - ?
A spin - often called A-Frame spin (looks like a frame, and just leaving it as A - triggers thoughts of short words that start with A that are prominently featured in that spin).
A frame counts as upright because the buttocks are higher than the skating knee. Not an easy variation either ...

gkelly

Record Breaker
I thinkthat's called the "illusion spin." That has an interesting history, too, but I forgot the details. A famous skater invented it by accident when she lost control of her camel spin, or something like that.

I think it was Jacqueline DuBief?

Yes it is an illusion spin when you have that movement in the camel spin; I'd be interested to know what it is called as under COP, as it is not a camel spin - ?

Originally for the first several years of IJS it wasn't considered a difficult variation/feature, so it became less common. Just in the last year or so it's been considered a difficult upright variation to do three illusions in a row, so it's getting more common in spins again.

Also many skaters put one isolated illusion in the middle of a step sequence to contribute to the upper body movement feature.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The official name of Eman Spin (I was sure it was named after Sandhu) is - Upright Forward Spin, (UF) by ISU (Page 12). I'm sure people will find A-spin easiest to remember. ;)

The Illusion Spin is IP - Intermediate Position.