2011-2012 Program Stuff | Golden Skate

2011-2012 Program Stuff

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Good heavens! We haven't finished with the old program thread yet!

Well--D&W mentioned that it was odd to be working on this year's programs when all around them people were working on next years, except for V&M, C&Z, the Shibs and the Lithuanians.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
You might delete my post, but you will never delete my FREEEEEEEEEEEEEDUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!!!

Javier Fernandez is skating to Braveheart next season.

Actually, he isn't. But wouldn't that be fun?

babayaga

On the Ice
I think Leonova also mentioned something about Black swan, I think she said she likes the music but is afraid that many people will use it next season and she wants to be more original. Here we have the first one :biggrin:
I think though that Ashley might be gorgeous in it!

jadore

Spectator
I was just waiting to hear that someone's picked Black Swan to skate to! The very first time I heard the soundtrack, I remember thinking, "This is going to be everywhere in the 2010-2011 season." I actually think it would suit Ashley very well, but I guess we'll have to wait and see! Clint Mansell did the soundtrack, I believe. If I recall correctly, he did Requiem for a Dream too (which, IMO, should be temporarily banned from use in skating until further notice ;) ).

skfan

Final Flight
isn't miki's black swan just an exhibition? really, i had no idea skaters were such lemmings ;)

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here are what's known so far. I'll post more as new information come up. :)

Men’s
Tomas Verner
SP - Carmina Burana (hiphop style)
Chreographer – Camerlengo
FS - Goodman's "Sing Sing Sing" + L. Armstrong's version of the "La vie en rose"
Chreographer – Lori Nicol

Grant Hochstein's
sp - Claire de lune.

Stephen Carriere
SP - Louis Armstrong, La Vie En Rose and "Mack the Knife."
FS - Swan Lake

Alexander Johnson
SP - "O mio babbino caro,"
FS - the Khachaturian ballet Gayane

Wesley Campbell
SP - Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez."
LP - The Mission.

Ladies
Ashley Wagner
SP – Pollack
Chreographer – Phillip Mills
FS – Black Swan

Korpi
SP - Carmina Burana (hiphop style)
Chreographer – Shae-Lynn Bourne

Laura Lepisto
FS - Adiós Nonino & Fuga y Misterio by Ástor Piazzolla performed by Gary Burton

Pairs
Cadee Denny & John Coughlin
SP- East of Eden
FS - Nessun Dorma

Gretchen Donlan and Andrew Speroff
SP – 'O mio babbino caro
Chreographer – Sheryl Franks and Deidre Williams
FS – Sleeping Beauty

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe, but I actually think it would be a strong peice for her.
I do too. Very promising. It would be interesting for her to do the white swan as her SP... except that she already did that trick this year (just not to Tchaikovsky). She does have those two sides to her skating personality, and it's actually the "dark" side that she needs to work on now.

This is the longest of shots, but I once saw a ballerina do a bit from Swan Lake, and she actually rippled her arms. At least that's what it looked like--I suppose she was double-jointed. I've seen many swan queens since then, but never one who could do that. Her name was Pamela Nearhoof - her arms were so gaspworthy that I still remember her, 30 years later! Miki might want to look her up. :p

skfan

Final Flight
I do too. Very promising. It would be interesting for her to do the white swan as her SP... except that she already did that trick this year (just not to Tchaikovsky). She does have those two sides to her skating personality, and it's actually the "dark" side that she needs to work on now.

This is the longest of shots, but I once saw a ballerina do a bit from Swan Lake, and she actually rippled her arms. At least that's what it looked like--I suppose she was double-jointed. I've seen many swan queens since then, but never one who could do that. Her name was Pamela Nearhoof - her arms were so gaspworthy that I still remember her, 30 years later! Miki might want to look her up. :p

i'm actually very fond of miki, and i still hold out hope that we'll get to see good programs from her next season, even if only exhibitions or at improv ice. i was just a bit disappointed to find even more support for the prediction 'everybody will be skating to black swan next season' :)

ripping swan arms, eh? i've seen many ballerinas--perhaps not as many as you have, but i don't find too much undulation appealing. the vulnerability of the swan queen comes from somewhere else, IMHO. but i'll look up the ballerina you mentioned--maybe she can change my mind :)

miki has improved her presentation significantly. if the music cut is interesting and the choreography is less COP oriented (perhaps for an exhibition program?), odds are i'll really like that program. swan lake has 3 hours of music--perhaps it won't be as repetitive as i'd imagined even if everybody _does_ skate to black swan.

CARA, thank you for the compilation. you might want to add that Mao is skating to Liebestraum again this season, and something choreographed by Tat for her SP.

The Film: Black Swan used a sampling of the music in Swan Lake. The Black Swan pas de deux is the bravura piece of the whole ballet and arguably the most difficult pas de deux in all of Ballet. Sasha Cohen used much of it in her TT routine and was at her best. Ilia Klimkin used much of the music of the Sorcerer and was brilliant. Takahashi used an insturmental version of Swan Lake which was good for him.

The music, both in ballet and the film plays very seductively. Can Wagner do it, or will she take it to her own level?

ripping swan arms, eh? i've seen many ballerinas--perhaps not as many as you have, but i don't find too much undulation appealing. the vulnerability of the swan queen comes from somewhere else, IMHO. but i'll look up the ballerina you mentioned--maybe she can change my mind :)
I don't think you'll find her swan queen on youtube... this goes back a long time. But when I searched, I noticed that there is a "Pam Nearhoof" involved in figure skating out west. It would be remarkable if it were the same person.

Okami

On the Ice
Miki Ando's second exhibition: "I Am A Thousand Winds". A brief clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmRlmEtXMeA

Mao Asada's SP, choreographed by TAT, is set to classical music (unnanounced as of yet) and tells the story of a queen. Mao describes the music, costume and choreo as fun and made for the audience to enjoy.

Kanako Murakami's EX: "Amarti Si"

Nobunari Oda EX: "I can see clearly now", originally by Johnny Nash, performed by by Denzal Sinclaire and choreographed by Sebastien Britten. His competetive programs are most likely also choreographed by Sebastien.

Daisuke Takahashi's SP will be choreographed by David Wilson.

Does anyone know the original fairy story of Swan Lake? I think Petitpa took a lot of liberty with it. Is Odette really a Queen of the Swans? and von Robthbart's daugher, Odile - is she for real? and what happens to her after the Ball? and that dumb Prince who couldn't tell the difference between white feathers and black feathers?

I do hope Ashley does her own thing to the music excerpt and not follow that godawful story line. It's Tschaikowsky's worse composition, imo but he came to life at the ballets conclusion with music so sumptuous as the leading characters commit suicide.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Ashely will make a fantastic Odile (Black Swan). She is not particularly balletic in skating style but has the fire and speed and seduction required of that character. I can't see Miki pulling it off quite so well.

Tomas's hip hop Carmina Burana sounds like another hot mess although the LP will probably be a great program for him(didn't he already use Sing Sing Sing though?)

really odd that Kira is doing the same SP as Tomas. I can't see her doing hip hop anything for the life of me.

and god another warhorse for the american pairs.

A couple of years ago I'd have agreed with you. Ashley has a lot of energy, but I haven't seen anything to suggest she is dramatically gifted. I think Miki will be better, but we'll see. We'll have a Battle of the Odiles!