The Top Skaters of Today | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Top Skaters of Today

Idk, I just feel like Brezina won't. I guess because he's a much better skater in general than VDP, except for the jumps. VDP tends to run out of gas a lot, as we all probably know.
That's a personal feeling (your word) Brezina not only could not compete in the GPs, he also lost months of practicing and staying in shape. He showed up at Euros and finished 2nd in the SP. I don't think he will podium this season, but it's possible that he makes Top 10. I hope to see him skate on IN.

LMAO that picture is amazing.

But the rule is still retarded. A perfectly good Triple jump shouldn't be discredited just because extra jumps that weren't allowed are added behind it.
You should realize it is no longer a Free Skate. The number of jumps in the CoP are restrictive.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's not a question of doing too many jumping passes or even too many of the same jump, though. It's a problem of an ALLOWED jump being given 0 points because an extra jump was done in combination with it. The rule should be that the extra jumps which were executed are given 0 points, not the whole jumping pass itself.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yu-na Kim #3 and Joannie Rochette are great from the first set. :rock:

Skatefiguring, you've got to get this one for your avatar. :)

http://img.blog.yahoo.co.kr/ybi/1/64/63/tamy2191/folder/1164660/img_1164660_961602_26?1228298473.jpg

Cute but not enough likeness. Miki's, Kozuka's, and Jeremy's are best for me but they are all cute. I like Oda's the best in the other set but he's such an easy caricature subject. Their poses are all so recognizable.

And so much drama with the Ice Dancers! :biggrin: They are really good.

Mathman must have a collection of the Kween's images!

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
A Japanese perspective:

FIGURE SKATING/ Japanese have great shot at World Championships

Interesting that Takahashi's biggest threats are considered to be Chan and Amodio.

I think Oda is a big threat with 2 quads in the programs. His PCS may be a little lower but his quads are a lot more reliable than Takahashi's. Kozuka is facing a big test to bring it at the Big Event. He's got the goods but hasn't been able to do well at the most important Championships. Verner has a chance to sneak on the podium if he lands his quad and if some of the Top 4 goofed.

mot

On the Ice
A Japanese perspective:

FIGURE SKATING/ Japanese have great shot at World Championships

Interesting that Takahashi's biggest threats are considered to be Chan and Amodio.

I think Oda is a big threat with 2 quads in the programs. His PCS may be a little lower but his quads are a lot more reliable than Takahashi's. Kozuka is facing a big test to bring it at the Big Event. He's got the goods but hasn't been able to do well at the most important Championships. Verner has a chance to sneak on the podium if he lands his quad and if some of the Top 4 goofed.

Not sure how informed the writer of the article is, to be honest. The analysis is far too generic and simply listing out the facts... In that sense, listing Florent and Patrick as two rivals to Daisuke makes sense; GPF winner and the European Champion vs the Four Continents champion.

Personally, I am not making any predictions. I just want to see everyone skate their best and go home satisfied. :)

SkateSkates

Medalist
I think they meant Takahashi's main rivals besides Oda and Kozuka, which would make sense as Chan and Amodio are in the top six seasons best this year (with Rippon not competing.) The only other man in the top six who will be at worlds is Verner.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
mot, I figured it was a generic perspective for public consumption. But is it representative? The public of course focus on the Japanese but are they aware of how others really compare? I know the skating fans are very well informed. Greatest fans by skaters' concensus! Where else do they get to earn money and be loved like rock stars? :)

In the US, some people think Johnny Weir is the Olympic Champion even when the real champ is their own, an American.

mot

On the Ice
SkateFiguring, I am not really following what skating fans opinions are back home, so I am afraid the following is just a gut feeling. The main focus is of course on Japanese skaters. Kozuka was in the spotlight more after Japan Nats, but the focus perhaps slightly shifted more towards Daisuke after the FCC. Well, he has almost a rock star status back home anyway. He's the only one with the track record at the worlds too. Nobu is perhaps seen as unpredictable after the Olys and Torino Worlds, I guess, so everyone's simply keeping their fingers crossed for him.

Patrick is reckoned as the forerunner for the World title, based on the track record this season. But the rest of the field? Their opinions are divided as much as here in the Golden Skate.

BTW, here is a news clip of Japanese men's official practice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPLdulS5Wow&feature=player_embedded

Nobu's 4T-3T is simply gorgeous. What is left for him to do is to nail it when it really counts!

janetfan

Match Penalty
SkateFiguring, I am not really following what skating fans opinions are back home, so I am afraid the following is just a gut feeling. The main focus is of course on Japanese skaters. Kozuka was in the spotlight more after Japan Nats, but the focus perhaps slightly shifted more towards Daisuke after the FCC. Well, he has almost a rock star status back home anyway. He's the only one with the track record at the worlds too. Nobu is perhaps seen as unpredictable after the Olys and Torino Worlds, I guess, so everyone's simply keeping their fingers crossed for him.

Patrick is reckoned as the forerunner for the World title, based on the track record this season. But the rest of the field? Their opinions are divided as much as here in the Golden Skate.

BTW, here is a news clip of Japanese men's official practice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPLdulS5Wow&feature=player_embedded

Nobu's 4T-3T is simply gorgeous. What is left for him to do is to nail it when it really counts!

I hope Nobu does not skate the best and get robbed for a third time this season. Maybe this will be his year at Worlds and it would be a nice gift to the Japanese people and his new son if he won a medal or the title.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks for the clip! Universal Sports tweets practice reports as well. cbc is all about hockey. :mad:

I'm not sure how the disasters and Worlds postponement affects each of the Japanese Men, but having the competition outside Japan actually takes off some pressure, and less time dealing with the media, all relative of course.

mot

On the Ice
Hernando, I do hope Nobu does very well at the Worlds. I watched on youtube the documentary following him & Daisuke since the beginning of the season. Nobu was almost traumatised by what happened in Torino and considered quitting. But he gave himself another chance and this time he really has to prove to himself he can do it. He says he is scared of the Worlds as his experiences are plagued with simple mistakes, which he could not blame no one but himself for. His coach Lee Barkell said in the documentary all Nobu needs is a belief in himself and in what he's done during practice. But one needs something concrete, like the world's medal, to gain it. Hope this is going to be his year, and that'll encourage him to carry on until Sochi. He's the best jumper when it comes to techniques and is capable of charming the audience too. (Remember his earlier programmes when he just came up to senior?)

PS. the scene of him drooling over his newborn was one of the cutest ever! And him almost choking when he talked about his determination to do well this season for his family was quite moving.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Awww, wish I could watch the documentary too. I always know the "problem" with both Nobu and Taka is a confidence issue. Though the way Nobu got married and had a baby might have created more drama than necessary, he had wanted a family of his own for years so now he has his wish and he must be happy about it. Being motivated is a bonus.

Unisport says both Nobu and Tomas did beautiful 4T/3T in practice.

eta. You said youtube? Oooh, I should search for them.

mot

On the Ice
eta. You said youtube? Oooh, I should search for them.

part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxKAJemlA6c
part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oDjGUiXWls&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMIVVzlJPrY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo1NqCgGugM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

:) I found there are too much 'let's make it all coherent as a story' involved - you know what I mean? The scene of Daisuke, Pasquale, and Utako talking about the nightmares they have before the competitions is also interesting. Enjoy.

I think they meant Takahashi's main rivals besides Oda and Kozuka, which would make sense as Chan and Amodio are in the top six seasons best this year (with Rippon not competing.) The only other man in the top six who will be at worlds is Verner.
I think we can differentiate: The six with the top scores for the season from all sorts of venues and judges are just that.

The last six to skate in the Final Group of Skaters would be the Results of their SPs. And did they show anything new this season?