Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Top Skaters of Today

Custom Title
    I think they meant Takahashi's main rivals besides Oda and Kozuka, which would make sense as Chan and Amodio are in the top six seasons best this year (with Rippon not competing.) The only other man in the top six who will be at worlds is Verner.

Custom Title
    mot, I figured it was a generic perspective for public consumption. But is it representative? The public of course focus on the Japanese but are they aware of how others really compare? I know the skating fans are very well informed. Greatest fans by skaters' concensus! Where else do they get to earn money and be loved like rock stars?

In the US, some people think Johnny Weir is the Olympic Champion even when the real champ is their own, an American.

Custom Title
    SkateFiguring, I am not really following what skating fans opinions are back home, so I am afraid the following is just a gut feeling. The main focus is of course on Japanese skaters. Kozuka was in the spotlight more after Japan Nats, but the focus perhaps slightly shifted more towards Daisuke after the FCC. Well, he has almost a rock star status back home anyway. He's the only one with the track record at the worlds too. Nobu is perhaps seen as unpredictable after the Olys and Torino Worlds, I guess, so everyone's simply keeping their fingers crossed for him.

Patrick is reckoned as the forerunner for the World title, based on the track record this season. But the rest of the field? Their opinions are divided as much as here in the Golden Skate.

BTW, here is a news clip of Japanese men's official practice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPLdu...layer_embedded

Nobu's 4T-3T is simply gorgeous. What is left for him to do is to nail it when it really counts!

Quote Originally Posted by mot View Post
    SkateFiguring, I am not really following what skating fans opinions are back home, so I am afraid the following is just a gut feeling. The main focus is of course on Japanese skaters. Kozuka was in the spotlight more after Japan Nats, but the focus perhaps slightly shifted more towards Daisuke after the FCC. Well, he has almost a rock star status back home anyway. He's the only one with the track record at the worlds too. Nobu is perhaps seen as unpredictable after the Olys and Torino Worlds, I guess, so everyone's simply keeping their fingers crossed for him.

Patrick is reckoned as the forerunner for the World title, based on the track record this season. But the rest of the field? Their opinions are divided as much as here in the Golden Skate.

BTW, here is a news clip of Japanese men's official practice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPLdu...layer_embedded

Nobu's 4T-3T is simply gorgeous. What is left for him to do is to nail it when it really counts!
    I hope Nobu does not skate the best and get robbed for a third time this season. Maybe this will be his year at Worlds and it would be a nice gift to the Japanese people and his new son if he won a medal or the title.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the clip! Universal Sports tweets practice reports as well. cbc is all about hockey.

I'm not sure how the disasters and Worlds postponement affects each of the Japanese Men, but having the competition outside Japan actually takes off some pressure, and less time dealing with the media, all relative of course.

Custom Title
    Hernando, I do hope Nobu does very well at the Worlds. I watched on youtube the documentary following him & Daisuke since the beginning of the season. Nobu was almost traumatised by what happened in Torino and considered quitting. But he gave himself another chance and this time he really has to prove to himself he can do it. He says he is scared of the Worlds as his experiences are plagued with simple mistakes, which he could not blame no one but himself for. His coach Lee Barkell said in the documentary all Nobu needs is a belief in himself and in what he's done during practice. But one needs something concrete, like the world's medal, to gain it. Hope this is going to be his year, and that'll encourage him to carry on until Sochi. He's the best jumper when it comes to techniques and is capable of charming the audience too. (Remember his earlier programmes when he just came up to senior?)

PS. the scene of him drooling over his newborn was one of the cutest ever! And him almost choking when he talked about his determination to do well this season for his family was quite moving.

Custom Title
    Awww, wish I could watch the documentary too. I always know the "problem" with both Nobu and Taka is a confidence issue. Though the way Nobu got married and had a baby might have created more drama than necessary, he had wanted a family of his own for years so now he has his wish and he must be happy about it. Being motivated is a bonus.

Unisport says both Nobu and Tomas did beautiful 4T/3T in practice.

eta. You said youtube? Oooh, I should search for them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    eta. You said youtube? Oooh, I should search for them.
    part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxKAJemlA6c
    part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oDjG..._order&list=UL
    part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMIVV..._order&list=UL
    part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo1Nq..._order&list=UL

I found there are too much 'let's make it all coherent as a story' involved - you know what I mean? The scene of Daisuke, Pasquale, and Utako talking about the nightmares they have before the competitions is also interesting. Enjoy.

Mathman must have a collection of the Kween's images!
    Here is my favorite. (Michelle Kwan split jump. Thanks, Toni. )

http://alaskanmagic.smugmug.com/phot...-7xPvk6s-S.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SkateSkates View Post
    I think they meant Takahashi's main rivals besides Oda and Kozuka, which would make sense as Chan and Amodio are in the top six seasons best this year (with Rippon not competing.) The only other man in the top six who will be at worlds is Verner.
    I think we can differentiate: The six with the top scores for the season from all sorts of venues and judges are just that.

The last six to skate in the Final Group of Skaters would be the Results of their SPs. And did they show anything new this season?

In the US, some people think Johnny Weir is the Olympic Champion even when the real champ is their own, an American.
    That's because Johnny Weir has many international fans that would not accept the results even if it were Chan or Plushenko. Die Hard Favorites exist.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^He said in US
    I m a fan of Weir but we do have a TV out here, we know who is the OC
    (i kid)

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The last six to skate in the Final Group of Skaters would be the Results of their SPs. And did they show anything new this season?
    Chan and Oda both showed quads this season. Joubert switched from techno to classical music. Amodio leanred a new trick with his hand.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3