Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Special Ice?

Custom Title
    No conspiracy is alleged. Didn't even think of that. Just at such critical last minute, there should be no surprises. Are they practising on this special ice now?

Hey, maybe some people will overshoot and gain an extra revolution in the air!

Is ice made with so-called "soft" water really "softer," in the sense of providing a better cushion on landing?

Is is "bouncier," like a trampoline, to help skaters jump higher?
    Last edited by Mathman; 04-24-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Custom Title
    I'm sure the skater don't like the ice to change too much from one venue to another. I suspect it will throw some of them off if they are unable to get accustomed to it quickly enough. Of course, it will benefit any skater who has been practicing on it for some time..........hmmm wonder who that could be.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^ People in boards were saying the exact same for the skaters of Canada who had practiced more in Colosseum before Olympics than the rest of world skaters. So what?I thought the skaters of a hosting country are always in a sort of advantage anyway concerning these conditions.

If they adjust in places like Bern where the ice was worse than their training ice, I m sure they can adjust to an ice better than what they have used to. Never in arenas around the world the ice is the same anyway, they always need to adjust.

Btw If you fall and bounce back and land the jump, how much Goe you get?

^ I think that counts as a combo: two-toe+two-butt..

Yuna Kim confirmed in an interview after her SP practice that the ice was softer than usual. She said she felt nervous at first but quickly adjusted and did a clean run-through of her program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Yuna Kim confirmed in an interview after her SP practice that the ice was softer than usual. She said she felt nervous at first but quickly adjusted and did a clean run-through of her program.
    I don't think it affected her negatively too much... and may have actually helped because according to reports, she two-footed her first 3F attempt, but did it perfectly her 2nd and 3rd try and according to a tweeter, her 3rd try was massive, flew like a quad! :D

Certain skaters like Oda land with a smooth pliet(sp) and fab run out. Fans seem only interested in the rotations in the air, in fact they accept faults on the landings as partial credit. JMO

Custom Title
    I recall a Japanese skater once said that ice in North America tends to be harder and thus has more kick back than ice in Europe in general. He said he preferred European ice. I also heard it had something to do with some North American rinks being shared with ice hockey. There were some concerns about the venue at Vancouver Olys being shared with short track, as the temperature needed to be adjusted depending on which sport.

Also I remember this special ice technician in Japan talking about how to create ice for speed skating - something to do with the temperature control at each time they spray water or something like that - so that good results can be made on it. Allegedly he was famous for creating record-making ice. So much for just a sheet of ice...

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    This sounds like an experiment to help skaters save their knees. Not such a bad idea. For years, skaters have injured themselves doing these amazing feats on the ice. I hope this "special ice" will help protect these skaters from further injury. I am sure it is all legal and approved by the skating federation.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ I think that counts as a combo: two-toe+two-butt..
    LOL!Good one!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2