Athlete of the year? | Golden Skate

Athlete of the year?

M

mathman444

Athlete of the year?

Who had the most memorable athletic achievement of 2002?

L

lilicedancer

Re: Athlete of the year?

Uhhhh, Bobby Bonds? I'm assuming you mean Barry. Personally, I think Lance Armstrong is the athlete of the year, although Tiger is close.

G

GBMalwayz

Lance Armstrong all the way. Then of course, Sarah!

I

icenut84

Who are Lance Armstrong and Bobby Bonds?

M

mathman444

Lance Armstong is a cyclist who won his fourth consecutive Tour de France victory in 2002. His career is the more remarkable and inspiring because he is a cancer survivor.

It should have been BARRY Bonds, the baseball player who set the all-time home run record (73) in 2001. In 2002 his feats included setting all-time records in on base percentage and walks, while winning the NL batting title (.370).

BTW, lady golfer Annika Sorenstam probably should be on this list instead of Tiger Woods this year. She won 10 LPGA tounaments, out of 21 starts, along with some other international events (13 major victories in all, I think).

And maybe Alexei Yagudin -- Olympic AND world champion -- is even more to be congratulated than Sarah. (But Sarah's my girl, so I'll leave that one as is. :) )

Mathman

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:green;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">Lance. He's so inspiring.</span>

J

Joesitz

Chad Pennington - replaced Vinnie Testaverde and the Jets zoomed on.

Joe

K

Kara Bear

I VOTED FOR SARAH BECAUSE FIGURE SKATING IS THE ONLY SPORT I FOLLOW...AND I DIDN'T KNOW TWO OF THE NAMES...OPPS

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

I have to say Sarah the rest of them have all had successes before... and Sarah's accomplishment at the Olys was her first... all of them are inspiring in their own way... but I guess I'm biased towards skating(though Lance rules too!)

S

Show 42

I guess so far I'm the only one who went for Barry Bonds, although the others were equally great. Lance would get my vote for the most "inspiring" athlete of the year......42