Practice Reports | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Mental practice can be as effective as physical one. The skaters are conserving their energy at this point. They may do isolated jump practices but a run through is about the whole program. Joubert's emphasis on his quads is no surprise, as he has repeatedly declared so himself. However, with over emphasis, he thrives or dies with quad outcomes in a competition.

Bradley is another one over practising his quads. In his interview with Kurt Browning, he said he would land several in a practice, but if he missed one, he would do more to make the stat better. This process sometimes went on till he did 15 or more quads in a day! In a recent interview, he said he thought quads should be worth a lot more.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
In a recent interview, he said he thought quads should be worth a lot more.

My ideal is to seek the perfect ballance on both quad and artistry. If quad worth too much, it'll become a jumping bean contest which I, for one, don't like to see.

But this is Bradley's best card. Without it, he doesn't have much in his pocket.

On another note, Brian Joubert's interview after practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ZSMkLaRsY

He still feels pain and he knows he's not in best shape at this competition. Also he changed into new pair of boots two week's ago. He plans to skate two 4T and two 3A in LP.

Last edited:

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Asada and Murakami maybe missed one jump the entire session. Wow. Asada two triple Axels and a 3F-3Lo, Murakami great 3T-3T's.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Makarova's jumps look much improved, skates fast, too.

* Getting all of this from Universal Sports

silverlake22

Record Breaker
LOL that while everyone runs through the whole program with only mental jumps, Joubert does his with just jumps, plus the ending footwork, with zero transition and spin.

:laugh: True. I've never noticed how much he uses his arms in those triple axels. They are very powerful but look a bit labored. Hope he can skate well in the SP tomorrow.

Krislite

Medalist
I just read through the last 4 pages and 90% is about YuNa - Mao.

Will there be more reports on other skaters' practices?

Be prepared for more of it---I just got wind Yuna will do her LP run-through in just a few hours. :laugh:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Is this her jump layout for the short program? Is it permitted to combine the Axel requirement and the combination requirement into one pass? :rock:

Doubt it. Probably practicing her FS. At Euros she did 2a-3t and 3f so my guess is she is adding a 3lz in replacement of one of her 3lo which seem to be giving her trouble as of late.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
On another note, Brian Joubert's interview after practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ZSMkLaRsY

He still feels pain and he knows he's not in best shape at this competition. Also he changed into new pair of boots two week's ago. He plans to skate two 4T and two 3A in LP.

Joubert has been voicing that he is aiming for a medal, conceding a gold is not realistic with his current conditions. He also cites Chan and Takahashi as front runners, so he may be hoping for a bronze.

New boots 2 weeks ago? Yikes. Some poor preparation there.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
From what I could see, Asada did 4 3As in tonite's practice, one or two clean. More surprising, she did a 3Sal.

(Yesterday's practice)
Another strong practice for Miki Ando, who looks fit and relaxed. Hit 3Sal/3Loop and 3Lutz/3Loop, which looked rotated to the naked eye

janetfan

Match Penalty
No need to fight it out between Yuna and Mao/Miki.

Tom Z just said that Rachael has the BEST SP of any of the skaters. So after she wins the SP, the competition this year in Rachael's own words "is wide open." :think:

From the site we can't link here.