Practice Reports | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I really liked the practice clip. Nothing sedate in her interpretation of this music and I like that. Her jumps, footwork, spins and the intensity
she brings to this program imo were great.

Krislite

Medalist
The choreography is boring? Wilson must be losing his touch. :laugh:

This is not typical of Yuna, of course. She's done Tango, Danse and Bond Girl, which project a fierce femme fatale-like personality. Going from that to an angst-ridden ballerina might be a bit of a stretch. But if she were to do Carmen, which suits her skating personality to a T, people would complain of lack of originality, etc.

Personally, I'm glad she's experimenting with different styles and expressions. And we haven't seen her perform it in competition yet so I'll hold my assessment for now.

What I'm really interested in is her LP. Lots of skaters have skated to Giselle, but not to a medley of Korean folk music. She's supposedly incorporated a few Korean folk dance moves into the choreo. Unfortunately I won't be able to recognize it.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Still, based on the full run-through, that's all Yu-na needs to win the short program, IMHO.

Well, yes. The 3Lutz-3Toe and overall poise speak for themselves, so she'll still deserve to win the SP when considering the dreck Mao Asada has for a SP this year.

Truth be told, my favorite SP's of the year from a conceptual standpoint are probably Sarah Meier's and Rachael Flatt's (at US Nationals...the altered choreography at 4CC was a step down). Both of those still have areas I'd modify, though, and the thing about choreography is that it changes based upon execution. You can give someone the best choreography in the World but that doesn't mean their body will move perfectly, or that their positions will be the most appealing, or that their expression will be the best.

Trolls emerging. Hoped they would take a break from this worlds but no. There is plenty of ballet elements in the program, including her toes. Ask anyone with knowledge in ballet.

The only person trolling in this thread is you. I'm quite sure that any SP skated by Sasha Cohen would be classified as more balletic than this SP of Yu-Na's. There was a lot of talk about Yu-Na changing her carriage and making a big stylistic departure with this program. It didn't happen, plain and simple. There are a couple overt ballet references but she certainly does not display the kind of positions that one would think of when recalling a ballerina.

Which is fine because this is ice skating and not classic ballet. But the program isn't great regardless (feel free to have your own opinion of course). I'm just going to be glad about her LP; Yu-Na will really deserve to win the competition there.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Yu-Na's SP run-through bored me to tears, although I expect her to notch it up a bit during competiton. And there was nothing balletic about the programme at all; with that same fugly free leg position in her layback, I don't see how she can ever be called even remotely balletic. She is still going to win the SP by an insane margin, so the bots can just cease and desist with calling others trolls for the moment.

Any links to her LP run-through? Mao's?

alexeifan

On the Ice
Yu-Na's SP run-through bored me to tears, although I expect her to notch it up a bit during competiton. And there was nothing balletic about the programme at all; with that same fugly free leg position in her layback, I don't see how she can ever be called even remotely balletic. She is still going to win the SP by an insane margin, so the bots can just cease and desist with calling others trolls for the moment.

Any links to her LP run-through? Mao's?

ITA it's a horrible layback but still enough to win if she's clean. I thought she was going to fix some of her leg positions but she's still above the rest in other areas.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Lynn Rutherford's tweets: "Virtue/Moir FD: dazzling lifts, speedy twizzles, great samba character, sexy gold dress. Adds up to spectacular. What a dance competition!"

Symmetry

Rinkside
Yu-Na's SP run-through is the best program I've seen in this season. It would be exciting to see a new face (or even an old one) knocks out the Olympic champion, but she has to be fairly beaten. I don't see how Yu-Na could lose the SP to anyone in the current weak field.

feraina

Record Breaker
Given that most elite female skaters and quite a number of elite male skaters take ballet lessons on a regular basis, generic ballet movements are fairly common in figure skating program and not just limited to ladies. Want to see a real competitive program with ballet focus? Take this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zKfZVurJY

Oh, I forgot how much speed Oksana Baiul had! And she had such height and distance on that 3Z. Amazing! She also had a lot of COP-friendly spin positions. Just a little fireball of energy. Good for her. :)

treeloving

Medalist
http://www.thestar.com/sports/figur...rkman-skate-rivalry-boils-over-on-and-off-ice

Uberness of some skater's fans is infamous even among international media as this article points out. Clearly exemplified in this thread by some.

:scratch: If you just take sometime outside Yuna thread, you will know that many who don't like Yuna's program are not even a Mao fan.

Before blaming someone at least please get your fact right.

As for Yuna performance, I think she still not show her best yet, may be she wait until the actual competition.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
ITA it's a horrible layback but still enough to win if she's clean. I thought she was going to fix some of her leg positions but she's still above the rest in other areas.

Yuna should take notes from Min-Jung regarding the layback spin, Min-Jung's layback is even uglier, but she has a great, stretched biellman position which she holds for a long time at the end, so it makes you think the whole spin was gorgeous, when really the first half was ugly and the last few seconds were lovely/balletic. It seems like Yuna is never going to have a good classic layback position so she should work on the flexibility in the biellman as it is the last part of the spin and the last thing the judges see, and currently isn't very stretched.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh::laugh: Pogue ..oh , Mea Culpa ! Mea Culpa !

I saw that while having morning coffee over at FSU, then I went running around all day...now I come back..and that's still all ?

It was nice to see W/P had a good practice ( and good luck to them tomorrow ) ..no mention of C/P , or any of the American couples...*sigh *

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Pang and Tong also had a great practice.

Brenda Irving tweets that they said today they will stick around for Sochi. Also,

Patrick Chan says if he had to bet on someone other than himself to win worlds it would be Daisuke Takahashi

Patrick had a better practice than yesterday, hitting his 4T/3T beautifully.

Tessa and Scott! More on the site.

I wonder if that's what she will wear in competition.

Universal has a bunch of photos up.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Dai is not doing a quad in his SP. All season he tried a quad in his LP, succeeding in only one 4T. He UR and 2-footed all his 4Fs. We'll see how he does on Thursday.

Oda has had better quads than Dai but also somewhat hit or miss. Taka's quad is not that reliable either but he doesn't fall often. Both Nobu and Taka have better chances of hitting their quads beautifully at Worlds than Daisuke, IMO.

Neither Takahashi nor Oda has had a clean competition this season.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
;) SkateFiguring,, those V/M photos are a delicious tease , and tasty as it is , I wouldn't bet on that being the final dress.

BTW Scott just always seems to be in a perfectly finished position . And I hope he stays with the perfectly fitted black. Exactly like a ballroom god .