Practice Reports | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports

Colanboy

Rinkside
I'd say that it's just one of those things Yuna has no real incentive to improve.
She gets decent scores on her layback, and she could devote that time spent somewhere else.

Johnnnn

On the Ice
indeed, she gets a very nice"Lay back" position and can have very nice arms too. Fixing the leg position is one of the easier fixes. I personally never had that flexible of a back and had to work very hard with off-ice ballet, pilates etc to get a good "layback" back position. Yu-na is capable of turning out her hips (she has nice ina bauers and spread eagles) so I can't imagine that getting a better leg position would be that hard it she worked on it.

I think after her hip injury she has been avoiding trying to turn out her hips. Also, doing too much stretching affects her jump consistency i heard. If she was competing for the whole season she might have tried but since this is her first competition (and kind of an important one) I think it will be better for her to stick to the way she used to do it. I don't think she will ever have Sasha Cohen lines tho because that's the way she was born. Some people are just more flexible than others even if the same amount of effort is put into it.

cosmos

On the Ice
I think some people love women's skating for the beautiful spirals and laybacks, so when they see an Olympic Champ and skater who is thought to be one of the best ever that lacks in those areas those people get frustrated and speak out about it.
Yes, but saying "I am baffled as to how on earth she got the olympic gold with such awkward positions." is clearly mean and nonsense.

tobynwinnie

Rinkside
It's only practice. Maybe Yuna's LP will look better in the actual competition. Did anyone else find the music and choreography boring? Maybe we've just gotten so spoiled with what she's put out there in the past. For me it seems to be missing that special something we normally expect from her. Lucky for Yuna, her skating skills are still able to keep her in contention.

alexeifan

On the Ice
It's only practice. Maybe Yuna's LP will look better in the actual competition. Did anyone else find the music and choreography boring? Maybe we've just gotten so spoiled with what she's put out there in the past. For me it seems to be missing that special something we normally expect from her. Lucky for Yuna, her skating skills are still able to keep her in contention.

Yes I found it boring too. I thought maybe she is just holding back I don't know. I guess really I never found a practice session the most interesting to watch, but it did seem somewhat bare choreographically speaking. We'll see this week how it looks in competition I guess. It's definitely faster and more technically better than the rest of the ladies this year just kinda bland so far to me. So she definitely has enough to win it's just a matter of whether it's one of the best lp's ever and I find that it isn't so far.

Last edited:

magicalwords

On the Ice
Thanks for all the videos! Kanako and Mao look fantastic. especially Kanako, she looks ready and fit, she's been doing well this season, so I wonder if she can break into podium this worlds! also wondering if we can get their full run-throughs!

Also, I actually really like Yuna's LP! just a practice vid but definitely like it much better than her sp. I was expecting more Arirang in her music cut (like that NY Phil ver) but I like this one too. the program looks beautiful, soft, smooth, and fluid. Before, when I read that her jump layout included 2 3S, I didn't understand why they would do that for lower bv, but I think now I understand. The 2 3S go really well with the music and I don't think any other jump (e.g. 3F) could have the same effect as 3S in those two particular spots.

of course I didn't see the real program performed yet but I don't think this program can't beat Lark for my pick of her best program; but just from the practice clip I think this could definitely be my 2nd favorite lp by Yuna. :cool:

also kinda dying for V/M Free dance :);)
how more amazing can they get?!?!

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Also, I actually really like Yuna's LP! just a practice vid but definitely like it much better than her sp. I was expecting more Arirang in her music cut (like that NY Phil ver) but I like this one too. the program looks beautiful, soft, smooth, and fluid. Before, when I read that her jump layout included 2 3S, I didn't understand why they would do that for lower bv, but I think now I understand. The 2 3S go really well with the music and I don't think any other jump (e.g. 3F) could have the same effect as 3S in those two particular spots.

I agree. Her salchow has improved and looks so effortless and perfectly compliments the choreography. Definitely worth sacrificing a few technical points in my opinion.

Mistletoe

Spectator
I apologize to all as I did not mean to be caustic about Yuna. I like Yuna's skating and she deserved her win. I just wish she would opt for the straight leg position and not try the bent one if she can't or doesn't want to or whatever it is - fix the dogleg. I would love to see a fantasy seminar in which all the olympic and world champions and medallists got together and discussed what they would like to improve about their skating and what they like best. Even the most expert can improve as exemplified by Pablo Casals and Artur Rubinstein who were still practicing and improving at age 90.
I like so many skaters for so many reasons and have been watching it like many of you in much the same way that people watch football meaning that we know more than anyone wants to hear that doesn't like skating and doesn't think it is a sport....The layback is my favorite "move" and thus I cringe when I see that leg hanging there! Doesn't matter who does it and I don't "hate" anyone for it.(someone said I was a Yuna hater - yikes - nothing could be further from the truth and I blame the tone of my own post for this reaction). I have been watching skating for 45 years and Yuna is one of the best, but there are many just as good for their era - Janet Lynn of course comes to mind.
Anyway, I also skate so at least know how difficult all this stuff is!
Sorry again for sounding so mean. I guess I just get disappointed when someone is SO GOOD and yet doesn't seem to see something like this. I am sure the leg position is not in the choreography as intending to be bent at a right angle as that is a non balletic look. In an "angular" sort of piece of music it might work if intentional.
Hope I am making sense.

jatale

On the Ice
Mistletoe: Are you referring to Yuna's camel spin (bent-leg layover spin) also known as the "Yuna Spin"? I thought this was supposed to be very difficult and therefore earns extra credit. Am I misinformed?

Krislite

Medalist
Mistletoe: Are you referring to Yuna's camel spin (bent-leg layover spin) also known as the "Yuna Spin"? I thought this was supposed to be very difficult and therefore earns extra credit. Am I misinformed?

I believe Mistletoe is referring to the standard layback leg position whereby the free leg knee is bent.

Hanaka

Rinkside
Media reported:
Mao showed up at men's practice and watched it together with her former coach Tatiana Tarasova in a special section. They seemed to have a great time. Kanako was there, too.
Kanako is a bit nervous because this is her first visit to Moscow, so Mao is taking care of her and giving her advice and tips. They are like sisters.

chloepoco

Medalist
Media reported:
Mao showed up at men's practice and watched it together with her former coach Tatiana Tarasova in a special section. They seemed to have a great time. Kanako was there, too.
Kanako is a bit nervous because this is her first visit to Moscow, so Mao is taking care of her and giving her advice and tips. They are like sisters.

That's nice to hear that Mao still has a nice relationship with Tarasova! And how sweet of her to take Kanako under her wing!!

I think we should wait until we see an actual performance before we start talking about "reaching out to the audience," etc. (What audience. :) )