Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Practice Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    But this time there is jetlag to consider.
    I think she is training in Berlin, where Jason Dungjen is putting on a seminar. Yuka Sato will meet her tomorrow in Moscow.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss View Post
    Yuna had to drop her majestic 2A+3T and replace it with 3S+2T due to the ISU rule changes (which in my opinion was designed to close the gap between Yuna and other skaters). It's a loss to the figure skating world that we don't get to see the world's best 2A+3T combo, but you can thank the ISU for that. But at the same time, I *really* love 3S+2T in this new program. It's very subtle and smooth, and fits nicely with the choreography.
    To be honest, as good as her 2A combos were, I'm 100% for the ISU change of rules on 2A. It was a shame that one could do three 2As and got ridiculous high GOE and beat skaters who did more triples. IMO it should have been changed long time ago. I'm not against Yuna and she was my number one fav going into the olympics, so save it if you want to argue with me. I'm just say it as a matter of fact. No Yuna hater here. It's not a loss to figure skating world, instead a change for a better world.
    Last edited by Ilvskating; 04-26-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Custom Title
    I don't understand why the rules limit the number of certain types of jumps used in a program. Why not let the skaters do as many jumps as they want or any other elements for that matter also. Total up all the points and whoever has the most points wins. It should be as simple as that. If a skater can do 9 quad jumps in his/her long program, let them go for it. What is the problem here? Jumps should be ranked by difficulty, yes, but let the skaters create whatever mishmash of jumps and other elements they want, it all about getting points isn't it? Forget about artistry, let the best jumper win. That is what the new rules really are all about it seems to me anyway, so why not just admit it and make the competition a free-for-all?

I'm just pissed about the constant playing around with the rules, it looks like politics in disguise to me. Some skaters will do better under certain rules than others, so each camp tries to make changes that will benefit their skater. The whole thing is kind of slimy if you ask me.
    Last edited by jatale; 04-26-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Limits on the number of double axels to two in the long program means she had to give up one of her double axel combos. Her team chose to omit the 2A+3T combo. Better to repeat a higher valued triple---the triple salchow.

Now if she fixed her triple loop it wouldn't be a problem. I think the rule change was meant to encourage this, but in Yuna's case she didn't think it was worth it.
    I do wish she would put her 3L back in her program... once again, like her other jumps, textbook and beautiful. Plus, she could have substituted one of her 2A's for that and thus increased her tech base.

Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post
    I don't understand why the rules limit the number of certain types of jumps used in a program. Why not let the skaters do as many jumps as they want or any other elements for that matter also. Total up all the points and whoever has the most points wins. It should be as simple as that. If a skater can do 9 quad jumps in his/her long program, let them go for it. What is the problem here? Jumps should be ranked by difficulty, yes, but let the skaters create whatever mishmash of jumps and other elements they want, it all about getting points isn't it? Forget about artistry, let the best jumper win. That is what the new rules really are all about it seems to me anyway, so why not just admit it and make the competition a free-for-all?
    You're not serious are you? Triples and quads are limited by the Zayak rule. Last year the ISU effectively extended a part of the Zayak rule to double axels (no more than two in the long program). The purpose of this is to force skaters to do as many variety of jumps as they can if they want to garner more points.

Taffy
    Thank you to everyone for the great reports.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post

I'm just pissed about the constant playing around with the rules, it looks like politics in disguise to me. Some skaters will do better under certain rules than others, so each camp tries to make changes that will benefit their skater. The whole thing is kind of slimy if you ask me.
    Well, the one thing they have been consistent in is changing the rules. Personally, I don't mind it, I think it's good for skaters to adapt if that means improving the breadth of their skills and wouldn't mind at all if they required a mandatory triple in the SP like they do for juniors. I think it's easy to forget how young this system is and I would rather they address its issues well before the Olympics than right before it. This whole idea of assigning exact numbers to exact elements is totally new. Of course they aren't going to get it right the first time.
    Last edited by rocketry; 04-26-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Custom Title
    You're not serious are you?
    No, not really. I do think politics still creeps its ugly head into things and that upsets me, but I guess that is the way of the world these days unfortunately. I agree that the rules should try and develop the best all-around skaters possible, but the rules should not be a straitjacket either. Enough freedom must be built-in too so that skaters that want to break the mold and maybe push the sport to new heights can do so and still win. Most importantly, artistry has to remain a central element in figure skating IMO, and that means that skaters must have enough freedom to express themselves in their programs, and that means flexibility in what technical elements they want to use.
    Last edited by jatale; 04-26-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    Kim had a solid runthru of free: 3Lz/3T; 3S/2t; pop flip; 2A/2T/2lo; 3Lz; 3S; 2A.
    So Blades has indeed seen her programs before. (That jump layout is exactly as he/she described it.)
    Momma don't play! (Note - I am not a female, but I do like that saying)

Now if only they had asked me for MY advice about the programs. Oh well. All in due time.

If I was in charge the fugly Flying Sit spins would have been out of both programs, for starters. Yu-Na is perfectly capable of doing a Level 4 Flying Camel that not only looks better but it also worth more points. Thankfully the LP is still lovely, though.

Rinkside
    THe layback leg is so dogleg and awful - how on earth can an olympic champion have such horrid awkward positioning on a layback. She should know better. Also there is nothing balletic about this - she is skating to a classical ballet of historic proportions and seems to not realize it. No pointed toes as pointed out also. I am baffled as to how on earth she got the olympic gold with such awkward positions. Surely she knows about her right angle layback leg yet does nothing about it. Oh for Sasha and classic positions!

Custom Title
    If only Sasha had Yu-Na's jumps. She would be Olympic Champion for sure.

Custom Title
    Why don't you just say you hate her lol

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post

Custom Title
    I think that's in response to Mistletoe, though it doesn't make that much more sense there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    Different criterias doesn't mean Mistletoe hates Yu-na. It's okay to have different tastes :P

In any case, lols Puchi (and true too)! XD

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast