Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Practice Reports

ROFL @ Mistletoe's post.

Yuna won the OGM because she is overall the best skater in the planet. Sasha, despite her "balletic" lines, never won OGM or even a world championship because she was not the best figure skater overall.

This "toe-pointing" "freeleg positioning" thing is getting way too boring and old, although I realize it's the only thing Yuna-haters can point to. To 99% of the audience, it is not even noticeable. Yeesh.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe View Post
    THe layback leg is so dogleg and awful - how on earth can an olympic champion have such horrid awkward positioning on a layback. She should know better. Also there is nothing balletic about this - she is skating to a classical ballet of historic proportions and seems to not realize it. No pointed toes as pointed out also. I am baffled as to how on earth she got the olympic gold with such awkward positions. Surely she knows about her right angle layback leg yet does nothing about it. Oh for Sasha and classic positions!
    I'm not sure that ballet music MUST require ballet moves on ice. I think that should be up to the choreographer and skater to decide. The choreography to Yuna's program is by David Wilson, it seems to me that your complaints should be directed to him, not Yuna.

Custom Title
    I am baffled as to how on earth she got the olympic gold with such awkward positions
    lol I wonder if you would say the same thing if Joannie won it.

Big news for you. Figure skating is not all about positions.

On the Ice
    THe layback leg is so dogleg and awful - how on earth can an olympic champion have such horrid awkward positioning on a layback. She should know better.
    The layback isn't that easy of a position. And the layback doesn't count for that much of the total score, the jumps do.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ljaeren View Post
    The layback isn't that easy of a position. And the layback doesn't count for that much of the total score, the jumps do.
    Exactly. Also, I think many people overlook the fact that Yuna has one of the best back positions in her layback spin.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnnn View Post
    Exactly. Also, I think many people overlook the fact that Yuna has one of the best back positions in her layback spin.
    Plus, her speed and edging on the layback is also quite strong. I don't deny that I would like to see a more extended, stretched, and elegant leg position from her in the future, but her layback is not as horrendeous imo as people make it out to be.

I can't wait til the mens short, can't believe the time is almost here!!!!! I'll be eating a lot of junk food this week while watching skating teheee

THe layback leg is so dogleg and awful - how on earth can an olympic champion have such horrid awkward positioning on a layback. She should know better. Also there is nothing balletic about this - she is skating to a classical ballet of historic proportions and seems to not realize it. No pointed toes as pointed out also. I am baffled as to how on earth she got the olympic gold with such awkward positions. Surely she knows about her right angle layback leg yet does nothing about it. Oh for Sasha and classic positions!
    Look at the layback leg position of recent Olympic champions--Tara and Shizuka had similar leg positions. Nothing baffling, because the Olympics is not a test of layback leg positions.

There were and are many skaters who have nowhere near the back flexibility of Yuna's layback either, such as Michelle Kwan.

I'm hesitant to say you're nitpicking just to exaggerate something negative about her, but your caustic tone is hard to get past that impression.

I think some people love women's skating for the beautiful spirals and laybacks, so when they see an Olympic Champ and skater who is thought to be one of the best ever that lacks in those areas those people get frustrated and speak out about it.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnnn View Post
    indeed, she gets a very nice"Lay back" position and can have very nice arms too. Fixing the leg position is one of the easier fixes. I personally never had that flexible of a back and had to work very hard with off-ice ballet, pilates etc to get a good "layback" back position. Yu-na is capable of turning out her hips (she has nice ina bauers and spread eagles) so I can't imagine that getting a better leg position would be that hard it she worked on it.

Medalist
    I'd say that it's just one of those things Yuna has no real incentive to improve.
    She gets decent scores on her layback, and she could devote that time spent somewhere else.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    indeed, she gets a very nice"Lay back" position and can have very nice arms too. Fixing the leg position is one of the easier fixes. I personally never had that flexible of a back and had to work very hard with off-ice ballet, pilates etc to get a good "layback" back position. Yu-na is capable of turning out her hips (she has nice ina bauers and spread eagles) so I can't imagine that getting a better leg position would be that hard it she worked on it.
    I think after her hip injury she has been avoiding trying to turn out her hips. Also, doing too much stretching affects her jump consistency i heard. If she was competing for the whole season she might have tried but since this is her first competition (and kind of an important one) I think it will be better for her to stick to the way she used to do it. I don't think she will ever have Sasha Cohen lines tho because that's the way she was born. Some people are just more flexible than others even if the same amount of effort is put into it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by alexeifan View Post
    I think some people love women's skating for the beautiful spirals and laybacks, so when they see an Olympic Champ and skater who is thought to be one of the best ever that lacks in those areas those people get frustrated and speak out about it.
    Yes, but saying "I am baffled as to how on earth she got the olympic gold with such awkward positions." is clearly mean and nonsense.

I agree, she obviously deserved the gold. (by a mile i'll add)

Rinkside
    I thought this was the Practice Reports threat? lol

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast