Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Will Russian coaches be forced to "drop" their foreign students?

Tripping on the Podium
    Sorry, that's not consistent with what I heard at all.
    I'm not sure my English is good enough to prove something and I doubt that links to Russian articles may be much useful for you. So let it be just my private humble opinion. I made it by logical conclusions reading many interviews. But look. Suggestion that Russian coaches are under some great pressure has only one argument: "I learned from a trusted source that Alexander Zhulin is almost ordered to stop working with the French ice dancers". It's not the fact, it's just a gossip "from a trusted source" who may have million personal reasons to say this. It's obvious that this "trusted source" is not Zhulin himself. I've read his interview few days ago and he answered the same question about French pair. He said that he never intends to refuse from them, it was in calm and reasonable tone, and he didn't sound like a man who was just ordered to drop his students. Really, I don't see enough facts in this article to rise such storm. I'm sure that Morozov can decide himself.

Is Morozov coaching Miki Ando right now at this championship?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^yes he is.

I heard V/T will go to train with him from next season. For now he has choreographed their programs.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    ^yes he is.

I heard V/T will go to train with him from next season. For now he has choreographed their programs.
    Isn't Volosozhar married to her coach?

^Huh? their Coach is Nina Mozer.
    Stanislav is a coach assistant since they stopped skating together. I think they are not married but a couple.

Seniorita, they are married. You are correct, though, that Stanislav is just an assistant.

^ I missed the wedding invitation! I saw them last year in KOI off ice and I thought they were just a couple, I didnt know, I m sorry!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    In Pairs Skating, which is Russia's best discipline right now, the competitions comes from strong tradition of Pair Skating in both Germany and China, each of them have their own legacy of legendary coaches and sports machine to produce very competitive Pair Skaters. China's Harbin training compound produce successive and successful pair teams, replacing those who retired or about to retire. Age controversy aside, the expected impact of Russia limiting export of coaches to China is about zero. Should the Germans and the Chinese continue all the way to Sochi, it is quite possible that Russia may find itself again kept off the podium in Pairs Skating.
    Germany has done pretty well in pairs, they have had hot and cold spells. China OTOH just came on the scene in 1999 winning the first world gold medal and has only has three good pairs; S/Z, P/T and Z/Z, all with the same coach. If Sui doesn't out grow her partner they may last until Sochi but I'm guessing she will need a new partner. S/Z are gone, the Zhangs (if they come back) will never be on the world podium again, I'm, guessing 5th or 6th at best if they do come back. P/T aren't sure of they are staying after worlds or not so their heart can't be in it for much longer so China's well is running dry.

At the last Olympics, the best team Russia had were only together less then 4 year, now they are all better with the exception of V/T who are a new team with a great past.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Morozov is not the new coach of V/T, Moser is the head coach with Stas Morosov (Tanya's former partner) N. Morosov helps them with elements but he does that with many people who either ask for his help or he just offers it

I don't know if he does it to be nice or if it's his ego so he can say he was a part of a winning skaters win I really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Isn't Volosozhar married to her coach?
    No they are not married she just calls him her husband instead of her boyfriend. Kind of weird but whatever.

I know Morozov is not their coach now, I think I said who is their coach, I only said I read they are moving to Morozov 's group from next season. For now he doesnt help them only with elements, he has choreo their programs, their exhibition and long program for sure.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^First name John. Last name Guerreiro. Citizen of Australia. Skates for Russia.
    John has pretty much rennouced his birth in Australia as somewhat of an accident while his parents where working there. Curtisy of his Russian born mother he is Russian and enjoys the full financial support of the the Russian Federation which is far more then he would receive if he remained Australian. He is Russian so therefore uneffected by the decission which doesn't really affect him as he is fully funded traing in the US.

^^^^
    If Guerreiro plans on remaining Russian in Russia, will he be better off when he retires than he would be if he returned to Australia? He could still make a life for himself in Australia. Does he have dual citizenship?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    ^^^^
    If Guerreiro plans on remaining Russian in Russia, will he be better off when he retires than he would be if he returned to Australia? He could still make a life for himself in Australia. Does he have dual citizenship?
    I would imagine he does, his father is Australian.

While it would never happen because Russia has put enough money in his training, if John Guerreiro were to be "let go" by Russia, he'd have an easier path to Worlds and Olympics through Australia. But, I think he and Katya are good enough that they'll get to both through Russia.

Whatever happened to the days when Russian men were aplenty and having to skate for the US, UK, etc? Now, Russian ice dance has both an Australian and a Canadian. Russian pairs has a Frenchman.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Whatever happened to the days when Russian men were aplenty and having to skate for the US, UK, etc? Now, Russian ice dance has both an Australian and a Canadian. Russian pairs has a Frenchman.
    And a very determined and transplanted Japanese lady in their top Pairs team.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    And a very determined and transplanted Japanese lady in their top Pairs team.
    Of course, there is the New Yorker representing them in ladies. Funny--I counted at least ten ladies in the WC's this year who, at one time, competed at least as a novice in the US. In the men's, there's Viktor Pfeiffer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast