Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Preliminary Round Men

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Well, did you know that had Weaver and Poje not bombed their FD at the 2011 4CC, they could improved their ISU World Ranking score to a point such that the ones who will be doing the Ice Dance QR for Canada would have been: Virtue/Moir

What logic is there to make the reigning Olympic and World Champion do the QR round? This is how non-sensical the current QR is.
    Is not only the QR rule at ISU sucks big time, but also the ISU ranking point system as well. The points added in that ranking by Weaver / Poje in one year (where let's be honest, were not world beaters by any means, only another top team), should have not come close to add up to the V/M total, even those were off all season long. It seems to me, quantity prevails over quality in the point system. Sheesh.

Custom Title
    After reading everyone's post I still can't figure out why Takahiko or Brezina had to do the Q-Round. Can someone please give me some details? What is the rule for this mess?

I don't understand it either; someone please explain!

Custom Title
    Takahiko had to skate in the preliminary round because of Oda's meltdown at last year's worlds. Even though Japan earned 3 spots thanks to Dai and Kozu last year, Nobu failed to make it to the free skate and that's why Japan has only 2 direct entries. I believe Oda should have been at least 18th last year to earn the third direct entry and he didn't. Out of the 3 Japanese guys, Kozuka has the lowest ISU ranking, so he was the one who had to skate to the preliminary round. The same goes for Brezina: he earned 2 spots for his country by placing 4th last year, but the other Czech guy didn't make it to the free, so there was only one direct entry. Tomas has a higher ISU ranking, so Brezina had to skate in the preliminary. It's a mess

Well, there is one obvious way to cut through all these strange rules. One entry per country, period. Each country sends its national champion to the big tournament of champions.

But...the thinking of the ISU is swayed by the objection that the second best skater in Japan is probably better than the national champion of Indonesia, so various rules are put in place to allow extra slots. This would be a valid point if the ISU World Championships were a contest of individuals.

However, the ISU is not an association of figure skaters, it is an association of national figure skating federations. Each federation has (in principle) equal status with all the others. Why should Japan get to send three skaters and Indonesia only one?

As an extra bonus, the "one country, one skater" idea would elevate the prestige of the national championships.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Well, there is one obvious way to cut through all these strange rules. One entry per country, period. Each country sends its national champion to the big tournament of champions.
    As an extra bonus, the "one country, one skater" idea would elevate the prestige of the national championships.
    I can't think of any benefit in "one country, one skater." It'll be terrible.

I think preliminary round is good. Just add and change some rules in it, it'll be perfect. If Oda messed up last year, it should be Oda who should skate in the preliminary round.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 04-26-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Custom Title
    Is Indonesia a member?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I can't think of any benefit in "one country, one skater." It'll be terrible.

I think preliminary round is good. Just add and change some rules in it, it'll be perfect. If Oda messed up last year, it should be Oda who should skate in the preliminary round.
    And what if Oda didn't compete this year? The point is, that, one of the Japanese skaters had to skate the QR, and with the other rules currently in place the one with the lowest ranking of the entries from a country skates the QR. IMO, the QR is sort of stupid. Why not just let everyone skate the short, the top 24 qualifies to the free, like before. The QR is both fair and unfair, and right now I really don't see the point of having it. There is a reason why the ISU got rid of it in the first place. :P

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Is Indonesia a member?
    I had to look it up. No, threy're not! How can we call this the "World Championship?"

Quote Originally Posted by Iloved figures
    And what if Oda didn't compete this year? The point is, that, one of the Japanese skaters had to skate the QR, and with the other rules currently in place the one with the lowest ranking of the entries from a country skates the QR. IMO, the QR is sort of stupid. Why not just let everyone skate the short, the top 24 qualifies to the free, like before. The QR is both fair and unfair, and right now I really don't see the point of having it. There is a reason why the ISU got rid of it in the first place. :P
    Yes, that is the point I was (feebly) trying to make. To the ISU there is no such person as Nobunari Oda. Just, "third Japanese finisher at 2010 worlds."

Similarly, the ISU does not say, let's have a world championship and invite those terrific skaters, Mirai Nagasu and Jeremy Abbott. Instead, the ISU says, let's have a world championship and invite the United States Figurre Skating Association to send representatives.

I think the reason for the qualifying round is that there were just too many skaters doing the short program. If you have different judging panels, that's not fair. And it is too grueling a session for the same group of officials to handle.

But only in America. Other Feds are aware of their best skater to represent them at Worlds. They do not need a Nationals to be fair.
    and what about all those fans who need an artistic fix? which could bring in more money.

Custom Title

But...the thinking of the ISU is swayed by the objection that the second best skater in Japan is probably better than the national champion of Indonesia, so various rules are put in place to allow extra slots. This would be a valid point if the ISU World Championships were a contest of individuals.

However, the ISU is not an association of figure skaters, it is an association of national figure skating federations. Each federation has (in principle) equal status with all the others. Why should Japan get to send three skaters and Indonesia only one?

Oh great...

Now, you do know that means the U.S. would have to give up Evan's Olympic Gold in 2010, World Gold in 2009, Belbin/Agosto's World Silver in 2009, Sarah Hughes' Olympic Gold in 2002, Tara Lipinski's Olympic Gold in 1998, Todd Elredge's World Gold in 1996, the list goes on and on...

Oh and last but not least, Nancy Kerrigan would have to give up her Olympic Silver as well and no World podium in ladies for the U.S. in 1992.

Mathman, you really have these great proposals that would have cut down the U.S. Olympic & World medal count to almost nothing.

Custom Title
    Lets not be so condescendent. At least the 6 big GP nations need their nationals to decide who goes to the ISU Championships.. and some smaller ones for the categories where they shine (SWE in Men, FIN in Ladies for example)

But I agree the "direct/qualific. entries rule" needs fixing as soon as possible. I think it should be the top 18 ranked from all the entries submitted get the direct pass to the SP. That would have required all 3 american guys doing the QR though, which will get everyone in these boards very angry LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Tara Lipinski's Olympic Gold in 1998.
    That would be sad. But everything has its silver lining.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6