Preliminary Round Men | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Preliminary Round Men

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Well, there is one obvious way to cut through all these strange rules. One entry per country, period. Each country sends its national champion to the big tournament of champions.
As an extra bonus, the "one country, one skater" idea would elevate the prestige of the national championships. :yes:

I can't think of any benefit in "one country, one skater." It'll be terrible.

I think preliminary round is good. Just add and change some rules in it, it'll be perfect. If Oda messed up last year, it should be Oda who should skate in the preliminary round.

Last edited:

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
I can't think of any benefit in "one country, one skater." It'll be terrible.

I think preliminary round is good. Just add and change some rules in it, it'll be perfect. If Oda messed up last year, it should be Oda who should skate in the preliminary round.

And what if Oda didn't compete this year? The point is, that, one of the Japanese skaters had to skate the QR, and with the other rules currently in place the one with the lowest ranking of the entries from a country skates the QR. IMO, the QR is sort of stupid. Why not just let everyone skate the short, the top 24 qualifies to the free, like before. The QR is both fair and unfair, and right now I really don't see the point of having it. There is a reason why the ISU got rid of it in the first place. :p

Is Indonesia a member?

I had to look it up. No, threy're not! How can we call this the "World Championship?"

Iloved figures said:
And what if Oda didn't compete this year? The point is, that, one of the Japanese skaters had to skate the QR, and with the other rules currently in place the one with the lowest ranking of the entries from a country skates the QR. IMO, the QR is sort of stupid. Why not just let everyone skate the short, the top 24 qualifies to the free, like before. The QR is both fair and unfair, and right now I really don't see the point of having it. There is a reason why the ISU got rid of it in the first place. :p

Yes, that is the point I was (feebly) trying to make. To the ISU there is no such person as Nobunari Oda. Just, "third Japanese finisher at 2010 worlds."

Similarly, the ISU does not say, let's have a world championship and invite those terrific skaters, Mirai Nagasu and Jeremy Abbott. Instead, the ISU says, let's have a world championship and invite the United States Figurre Skating Association to send representatives.

I think the reason for the qualifying round is that there were just too many skaters doing the short program. If you have different judging panels, that's not fair. And it is too grueling a session for the same group of officials to handle.

As an extra bonus, the "one country, one skater" idea would elevate the prestige of the national championships. :yes:
But only in America. Other Feds are aware of their best skater to represent them at Worlds. They do not need a Nationals to be fair.
and what about all those fans who need an artistic fix? which could bring in more money.

wallylutz

Medalist
Well, there is one obvious way to cut through all these strange rules. One entry per country, period. Each country sends its national champion to the big tournament of champions.

But...the thinking of the ISU is swayed by the objection that the second best skater in Japan is probably better than the national champion of Indonesia, so various rules are put in place to allow extra slots. This would be a valid point if the ISU World Championships were a contest of individuals.

However, the ISU is not an association of figure skaters, it is an association of national figure skating federations. Each federation has (in principle) equal status with all the others. Why should Japan get to send three skaters and Indonesia only one? :)

Oh great...

Now, you do know that means the U.S. would have to give up Evan's Olympic Gold in 2010, World Gold in 2009, Belbin/Agosto's World Silver in 2009, Sarah Hughes' Olympic Gold in 2002, Tara Lipinski's Olympic Gold in 1998, Todd Elredge's World Gold in 1996, the list goes on and on...

Oh and last but not least, Nancy Kerrigan would have to give up her Olympic Silver as well and no World podium in ladies for the U.S. in 1992.

Mathman, you really have these great proposals that would have cut down the U.S. Olympic & World medal count to almost nothing. :laugh:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Lets not be so condescendent. At least the 6 big GP nations need their nationals to decide who goes to the ISU Championships.. and some smaller ones for the categories where they shine (SWE in Men, FIN in Ladies for example)

But I agree the "direct/qualific. entries rule" needs fixing as soon as possible. I think it should be the top 18 ranked from all the entries submitted get the direct pass to the SP. That would have required all 3 american guys doing the QR though, which will get everyone in these boards very angry LOL.