Preliminary Round Ladies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Preliminary Round Ladies

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Two double axels, one downgraded lutz, and four pops :( Can't really expect to make the cut when you don't rotate anything

Wow, that was totally unexpected. Major meltdown... So in theory how many spots can Korea get if Yu-na's on the podium?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Two double axels, one downgraded lutz, and four pops :( Can't really expect to make the cut when you don't rotate anything

There is always next season for MJ, Gao and your other favorites. :)

Skating is a tough sport to predict.
I have no doubt if Tomas goes clean in both programs he can challenge for the podium.

But who would bet very much on Tomas going clean in both programs besides you?

Maybe this will be his year. He certainly has the talent and the big tricks.

Except for kwak, the first 6 listed are at least known to us. Mette could, imo, make a top 10 in the SP/LP. She has a lot going for her - moreso than La Fuente.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Wow, that was totally unexpected. Major meltdown... So in theory how many spots can Korea get if Yu-na's on the podium?

Skaters who don't make it to the SP get 20 points.. So Yuna needs to be Top 8 (easy pie for her) for KOR to maintain the 2 spots.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
There is always next season for MJ, Gao and your other favorites. :)

Skating is a tough sport to predict.
I have no doubt if Tomas goes clean in both programs he can challenge for the podium.

But who would bet very much on Tomas going clean in both programs besides you?

Maybe this will be his year. He certainly has the talent and the big tricks.

Oh who knows, maybe Tomas WILL go clean in both programs, and Carolina, Alissa, and Kiira will be the three ladies medalists. I'd be very happy to see that, and all four of them HAVE been a lot more consistent this season than ever before. Crazier things have happened before.

wallylutz

Medalist
Yikes......what happened to Kwak? I assumed she would easily land in the top three.

When she first moved to Senior last year, she also switched coach and went to train with Yu-Na in Toronto under Brian Orser. That's when she had some breakthrough performances. After Kim and Orser split, Kwak too decided to leave Orser without any explanation. Ever since, she struggled through almost every single competition.

Even Yu-Na looks quite rough in competition form. Not only her trademark 3Lz/3T looks smaller, less secure, the most concerning part is she seemed to lose touch with her ability to connect with the audience. Many people felt her Giselle SP bored them to tears and the choreography was shockingly simple and uninteresting. It feels as though she only started to skate to this program 2 months ago. Because Yu-Na begins with a lower base mark in her FS compared to other top ladies, she needs a big score from her SP to compensate.

If Yu-Na also fails to deliver, we will have at least two data points to back up that leaving Orser turns out to be costly mistake to Team South Korea.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
^^ Actually, Kwak's breakthrough performances last season came at 4CC and the Olympics, when she didn't even have a coach. Then she started training with Orser after the Olympics and went on to finish 22nd at Worlds...This season she was injured during her GP events, but then scored in the mid 140s at nationals, Asian Winter Games, and 4CC before coming to Worlds. I actually don't think Orser has anything to do with her successful competitions or lack thereof, I think she's just a late season skater who competes too much and didn't have enough steam left for worlds last season because of the olympics and this season because of the delay, hence explaining why her results at Worlds are so much poorer than at her competitions directly preceding. Her body type also changed this season and I don't think it's particularly well suited to jumping, very narrow through the shoulders and hips and just all limbs. She has a better build for a pairs skater.

Also, Yuna seems to be in great shape and her jumps look as good as ever. Let's wait to say anything about her until she actually competes. I really don't think Brian Orser is as much of a miracle worker as some people think. He didn't really help that other girl Yea-Ji Yun improve at all and she was with him for awhile.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Even Yu-Na looks quite rough in competition form. Not only her trademark 3Lz/3T looks smaller, less secure, the most concerning part is she seemed to lose touch with her ability to connect with the audience. Many people felt her Giselle SP bored them to tears and the choreography was shockingly simple and uninteresting. It feels as though she only started to skate to this program 2 months ago. Because Yu-Na begins with a lower base mark in her FS compared to other top ladies, she needs a big score from her SP to compensate.

Yes, and you were able to reach such sweeping conclusions from a single practice session. Very well.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

If Yu-Na also fails to deliver, we will have at least two data points to back up that leaving Orser turns out to be costly mistake to Team South Korea.

I don't really think you can expect connection with the audience in a practice run-through. Plus, Yu Na is known for being a skater who doesn't really come alive until the competition.

ETA: Note Tarasova's comments at around 5:24. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUbSgPsyNGQ
Peggy has said the same thing.

Last edited:

Krislite

Medalist
Yes, and you were able to reach such sweeping conclusions from a single practice session. Very well.

What's a little disturbing about those comments is that wallylutz is an ISU judge. He's been saying all this time before the practice that Yuna will bomb. Now that she's landed her jumps he's saying instead that her jumps have less power and flow. I don't know if he's just determined to see something negative but if it is reflective of how other judges also feel, I do wonder why (and worry). I mean we haven't seen her compete or skate all season long. Why draw such strong, negative conclusions over so little evidence?

Cerulean

Rinkside
What's a little disturbing about those comments is that wallylutz is an ISU judge. He's been saying all this time before the practice that Yuna will bomb. Now that she's landed her jumps he's saying instead that her jumps have less power and flow. I don't know if he's just determined to see something negative but if it is reflective of how other judges also feel, I do wonder why (and worry). I mean we haven't seen her compete or skate all season long. Why draw such strong, negative conclusions over so little evidence?

Question for Wally: Are you a judge at the WFSC?

cooper

Medalist
When she first moved to Senior last year, she also switched coach and went to train with Yu-Na in Toronto under Brian Orser. That's when she had some breakthrough performances. After Kim and Orser split, Kwak too decided to leave Orser without any explanation. Ever since, she struggled through almost every single competition.

to be fair as what silverlake pointed out, Kwak had a good season last year without even a coach. And this year she finished at the podium in asian games and finished within the top 10.

I smell so much bitterness from your post. This year's worlds hasn't even started. :rolleye:

Enough about Kwak. Keep your eyes on Mette moving into the SP and then into the LP. If she keeps it cool and consistent she may be in the top 5 at the conclusion.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I smell so much bitterness from your post. This year's worlds hasn't even started. :rolleye:

Worlds has started and is already over for Kwak.
I didn't see it but every skater has an off day. For all we know she was skating with an injury or a cold, etc.

She is a nice skater and will be back next season.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Enough about Kwak. Keep your eyes on Mette moving into the SP and then into the LP. If she keeps it cool and consistent she may be in the top 5 at the conclusion.

Top 5 isn't gonna happen in this deep field, I'm afriad, her PCS are usually low. Top 10 is possible though.