Men's Short Program | Page 34 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program

genki

On the Ice
Hi all Dai's fan on this broad.

I am sad about his score.. Yes, it is true that his spins were weak, and also a little mistake in step sequence.
However, I just love him so much that I fell into deep denial that he earned barely 80 this time.

IMO, he is the best artistic skater among all skaters who has ever lived on this earth. I really doubt that the skater like him will appear again in the future. He is that special to me and I know many fans feel the same way.

He may not win this time, but I believe that he will skate his best free program tomorrow just lke he did at Nationals last year. I want to be moved to tears again along with so many enthuziastic fans of Dai-chan. He is the one and only who touches people's heart so deeiply.

jettasian

Match Penalty
I think it's hilarious that some people think that now Chan's score is so high, Dai must be underscored!! No way the gap can be so wide!!! So Chan's not overscored anymore, but it's Dai that's underscored! Please!!!!! I just saw Dai's program. His footwork was no where near Chan's footwork. Dai's footwork was fast, but a lot of two foot whereas Chan used only one foot to skate across the ice.

jettasian

Match Penalty
I agree that Patric should be in first, but I disagree that he is ahead of Daisuke on Performance/Execution. Nobody can come close to Dai in that mark in my opinion.

You mean such as over-reacting to every music note? To even think that Dai should have scored higher than Chan in PE is laughable.

jettasian

Match Penalty
The judges pretty much hand him Mr.Dead-eyes the gold already. Unless he kiss the ice 4-5 times (which prob not going to happen) no one can catch him. The GOE are, as always over generously awarded. 7 elements vs 8 last year, but the added BV on the quad kinda cancel each other out so score is reasonable.
I though Dai got low ball on the PCS. Same with Oda/Kazu.

The judges did NOT hand Chan the gold. He EARNS the lead and will probably earn the gold! And calling someone "dead-eyes" is rude, IMO.

prettykeys

Medalist
Hi all Dai's fan on this broad.

I am sad about his score.. Yes, it is true that his spins were weak, and also a little mistake in step sequence.
However, I just love him so much that I fell into deep denial that he earned barely 80 this time.

IMO, he is the best artistic skater among all skaters who has ever lived on this earth. I really doubt that the skater like him will appear again in the future. He is that special to me and I know many fans feel the same way.

He may not win this time, but I believe that he will skate his best free program tomorrow just lke he did at Nationals last year. I want to be moved to tears again along with so many enthuziastic fans of Dai-chan. He is the one and only who touches people's heart so deeiply.
Please don't be sad...Daisuke was not in his best form today but he still skated marvelously. He's an amazing athlete, a wonderful performer, and he has always been humble. I don't consider myself a "Dai fan" but I found myself wishing better for him, too. There is a lot of appreciation for him and I'm sure he will have a lot of support in his free program.

jettasian

Match Penalty
I absolutely agree with everything you said. I seriously don't understand the "hate" towards Chan. He was in a class of his own in this short program, and the lead is well deserved. Not a single mistake and his spins verything is WELL EXECUTED! If you look at the GOE bullets for plus points you can clearly see why he deserves +2's and +3's on every element. Some are obviously too blinded by their fandom for some skaters that they miss out on a lot more. Such a shame.

Chan's skate was the league of his own. He made everything looked SO EASY. His feet was so light and smooth, and all the jumps were so at ease and effortless. These are the stuff none of the skaters were able to do on this competition. But Chan bashing has become a tradition on this board. No matter what event, how Chan skated, his marks are always WRONG!!! Haters gonna hate!!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
If any skater thinks Chan is overscored, all they have to do is to replicate the effort. Design a program with the same BV and skate it to the same standard and see what kind of scores they will receive. All elements' and their GOE values are spelled out and the same rules and restrictions apply to all exactly the same way. What is stopping anybody from receiving such high scores? Should be easy as pie!

Blade of Passion is quiet for a little while now. Hmmm. Must be busy writing up his critique of Chan's LP tomorrow.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
During the Grand Prix, I made a joke that Patrick fell so many times that his last fall was discounted.
Two posters demanded to know what rule that was. :laugh:

jan

On the Ice
If any skater thinks Chan is overscored, all they have to do is to replicate the effort. Design a program with the same BV and skate it to the same standard and see what kind of scores they will receive. All elements' and their GOE values are spelled out and the same rules and restrictions apply to all exactly the same way. What is stopping anybody from receiving such high scores? Should be easy as pie!

Blade of Passion is quiet for a little while now. Hmmm. Must be busy writing up his critique of Chan's LP tomorrow.

Totally agree!! The problem is that you have to be a great skater to replicate this program with the base value etc. Add to that the ability to do this level of program while maintaining the PCS is truly astounding. The only person I see having the potential to do this other then Chan is Kozuka... but not this year.

jettasian

Match Penalty
There would be a lot less complaining from some people if A) Chan skated worse (entirely possible, this is his best SP performance by far this season). Or B) Other top skaters skated better (also entirely possible, both Oda and Takahashi posted substantially higher scores previously in the season). It's just that on this day, Chan had the skate of a lifetime while all his closest competitors had below par skates. The gulf in their scores reflect that.

This is an unusual men's SP at a Worlds/Olympics level event. I can't think of any other one where the 1st ranked skater skated so wonderfully while all the other top skaters fumbled to varying degrees. It's a coincidence. The free skate will likely be different.

Most people expected a close race regardless. So to see such a wide gap between 1 and the rest......Chan must be overscored :rolleye:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Totally agree!! The problem is that you have to be a great skater to replicate this program with the base value etc. Add to that the ability to do this level of program while maintaining the PCS is truly astounding. The only person I see having the potential to do this other then Chan is Kozuka... but not this year.

Oh skaters know that. That's why they don't complain about Chan's marks. Except Weir.

But then again, you could look at it this way. Chan won. Therefore Chan fans are happy. Not angry. Right?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. Blades, we actually had a similar discussion about program intentions when discussing Lobacheva/Averbukh's FD in SLC. To me, because they said they were drawing on the 9/11 tragedy in their skate, their skate was a failure because it didn't convey anything approaching the feelings evoked surrounding 9/11. I also thought it was vacant and ugly, admittedly, so those were big thorns to deal with. If I recall you correctly, you felt that the intention of the artist (your word, not mine) wasn't determinative. In general, I agree with you.

2. That stated, I se nothing wrong with Patrick's interpretation. Is it hip and sexy? Nah, but honestly - I don't find Chan that sexy, and that undeniably influences that. But it is fun, flirty, charming, and playful. The program does convey a sense of youthful joie de vivre. That to me is worthwhile. That little kick he does before the steps-into-the-flip? Love it. The step sequence is out of this world.

3. You know, rewatching them, I don't mind Chan's PCS being ahead of Dai's. Dai's skating is more soulful, undeniably, and his charisma/wow factor is the best in the competition. But Chan's skating skills, transitions and choreography are really amazing.

4. Joesitz predicted Gachinsky on the podium and we all mocked him. I did anyway. Lets just say that whatever the result, we give Joestiz a round of applause for that one (granted he said Gachinsky over Chan, but we all make mistakes!).

MasterB

Final Flight
When a skater has such a massive lead like Chan has, the free skate will be anti-climatic

Whatever happens, I am very proud of our American boys for standing up.

Now get out there and skate clean long programs *******

Last edited by a moderator:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Taking time out from the Chan-storm to review more early skates:

Joey Russell — Graceful mover, but not the greatest skater, and probably won't ever be.
Paolo Bacchini — Charming Pinocchio program that actually does a decent job of telling a story. Aside from that, though, nothing too exceptional about anything here.
Maxim Shipov — Such awkward jumps! Nothing else is horribly objectionable, except the pantomiming that is almost as awkward as his 3axel attempt.
Peter Liebers — Even though skating to electric guitar blues is old hat by now in competitive skating, it's still a bit of a welcome relief from the endless orchestral pieces. A pleasant enough skate.
Misha Ge — What an adorable performance from that little boy! Wait, what? He's 19? Well, he's still figure skater sized, so he can pull it off.
Jorik Hendrickx — An instrumental cover of Muse's Feelin' Good that utterly misses the point by replacing raucous rock vocals with a timid violin. Perhaps as a result, Jorik's choreography never has any of that rock and roll swagger, or even the exuberance of what is practically the theme song of exuberance. Jorik's skating seems good, but he deserves a much, much better program.

prettykeys

Medalist
Hmm, I just had a thought. Not to look too far into the future, but when is the last time Canada won the OGM in Men's Figure Skating? We had so many top contenders for so long but it certainly wasn't in my lifetime. And of course Jeff Buttle was our last World champion. If Patrick Chan does it in Sochi...that'd be awesome.

rain

Record Breaker
There would be a lot less complaining from some people if A) Chan skated worse (entirely possible, this is his best SP performance by far this season). Or B) Other top skaters skated better (also entirely possible, both Oda and Takahashi posted substantially higher scores previously in the season). It's just that on this day, Chan had the skate of a lifetime while all his closest competitors had below par skates. The gulf in their scores reflect that.

There is no conspiracy here. I don't believe that many judges were colluding or cheating. I don't think the rules that created these particular score differentials are unfair. I'd actually have a problem if we had a system that produced closer scores in a situation like this because that would not be an accurate assessment of what happened on the ice.

This is an unusual men's SP at a Worlds/Olympics level event. I can't think of any other one where the 1st ranked skater skated so wonderfully while all the other top skaters fumbled to varying degrees. It's a coincidence. The free skate will likely be different.

I just wanted to say how much I agree with this. Also to comment that I have seen exactly this kind of gulf between first and the rest — back before Plushenko retired the first time there were a number of years where none of the other competitors were in his technical league and exactly this kind of scenario was the result. He led by such a margin after the SP that it would take a meltdown in the LP for him to lose (and Plushenko did not melt down. Consistency was one of his strengths). I was not a Plushenko fan, but given the performances, it was undeniable that he deserved his placement and lead. Ditto with Patrick now, though I do love his skating, so bonus for me.

Chan was brilliant. I find television (let alone youtube video) does not adequately convey the quality of his skating. The speed and flow of the straightline footwork where his goes over half of the way down the rink on one blade — it is utterly breathtaking live. I just hope to see another magical performance in the LP, like at nationals.

Overall, I thought the quality of the competition was pretty good. I didn't see any major meltdowns in the field.

Imaginary Pogue said:
4. Joesitz predicted Gachinsky on the podium and we all mocked him. I did anyway. Lets just say that whatever the result, we give Joestiz a round of applause for that one (granted he said Gachinsky over Chan, but we all make mistakes!).

What Joe actually did was post a list of contenders, Chan not among them, Chan having slipped Joe's mind. Joe was tarred and feathered.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
But then again, you could look at it this way. Chan won. Therefore Chan fans are happy. Not angry. Right?

I am having a blast! I'm so amused by the desperate effort put out by those who insist on Chan's evil unworthiness. Even visited the most Chan hating board to enjoy the implosions! :biggrin: I'm evil like that.

I sent out a cosmic order and got exactly what I asked for so I will exercise my psychic power again for tomorrow's event. This is too much fun! :laugh:

But what I really need now is some sleep.

eta. OK, I have to say I am even more gratified to see more respect, grudging or not, paid to Patrick after this skate. There are those who really have their beef with the judging system and they can reconcile their conflits with acceptance of a clean deserving win. And then there are those who just hate. Their heads are exploding today! :biggrin:

Last edited: