Men's Short Program | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program

wallylutz

Medalist
I think you're underestimating Dornbush and Miner. Just because they're young doesn't meant they can't bring it. Dornbush has brought it all season long in the junior circuit and has the 11th highest season's best as a junior. Miner started slow, but he's really shown that he wants it and will take the opportunity.

Well, in this case, you should also pay attention to those skaters placing immediately behind them. They include some fairly well known names and have arsenals that could easily topple all 3 American men in the FS given how close they are.

I hope the believers in the one competition Nationals to represent their country at World Competitions will change. We should have had Abbott in there with his Quad. The competition was about Quads. However, Dornbush and Miner did make a statement. Not so for Bradley who used Americana which is a known losing music in international circles. Ask Michael Weiss when he faced a stronger European group. Hamilton did not have the all powerful skaters of today, and he didn't win the FS.

Chan was marvelous! and I am sure the Boards will be praising him to the hilt.
The Japanes boys are like the 3 bears in Goldilocks - Dai is too animated; Taka is too methodical; Oda is just right, although he could have done better here.

The Czech boys are both so musical but faults wont work in a competition. Amodio does a better skate without the bumps and grinds; Joubert, like Taka is too methodical. Gachinksi is a Tech skater only. His performanc showed no musical ability.

Stupid music choreo in a serious major competition: Javier Fernandez wins the award but not good impressions.

It seemed to me that many of the Men got a bit too nervous, like Reynolds, Schultheiss and Contessi.

Best All Round Skater Patrick Chan.

Most Impressive Skater from the lower ranks Hendrickson from Belium

The Short Program is not the Final total. Let's see how it works out in the LP,

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I hope the believers in the one competition Nationals to represent their country at World Competitions will change. We should have had Abbott in there with his Quad. The competition was about Quads. However, Dornbush and Miner did make a statement. Not so for Bradley who used Americana which is a known losing music in international circles. Ask Michael Weiss when he faced a stronger European group. Hamilton did not have the all powerful skaters of today, and he didn't win the FS.

The Japanes boys are like the 3 bears in Goldilocks - Dai is too animated; Taka is too methodical; Oda is just right, although he could have done better here.

The Czech boys are both so musical but faults wont work in a competition. Amodio does a better skate without the bumps and grinds; Joubert, like Taka is too methodical. Gachinksi is a Tech skater only. His performanc showed no musical ability.

Stupid music choreo in a serious major competition: Javier Fernandez wins the award but not good impressions.

It seemed to me that many of the Men got a bit too nervous, like Reynolds, Schultheiss and Contessi.

What exactly about Hamilton?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
THere is really no way Chan can lose this, but I hope Dai and maybe Brian can come back and medal. Not that surprised that the Japnanese men didn't look that dominant. So much stress and exhaustion, pressure...they all had to move training locations.

lavender

Record Breaker
HA HA HA!!!!!!! Given that most people are cheering for Dai, this comment is off base.

I know. I'm rooting for Dai overall and some others. I'm American and I'm not really rooting for or against the US trio. My favs (Jeremy and Adam) were left at home. With that said if they do well then good for them.

jfdw

Rinkside
As a Canadian I am happy to hear that Patrick skated well. I have recorded it and after reading all these posts I will have to go and look at it. As it has been said it is not over yet.

There is the long and many who have problems in the short do much better in the long. I hope all the skaters skate well in the long and then the winner is picked from that.

That way even those who lose can be proud of their skate.

Yes Patrick has the lead now but that lead can be swallowed very quickly if mistakes are made I hope he skates clean in the long also and let the cards fall where they may.

Good luck to all the skaters and especially to the Japanese men they are skating under extreme emotional pressure.

jfdw

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs. P - I adore your optimism. Tell you what - I'll root for the Americans to keep three spots just for you. While at the same time not rooting for anyone else to fail. It'll be tricky, but being wrong will be worth it

For all the talk of Patrick peaking at Nationals, his SP here was the best of the season for him, obviously. I thought he was more relaxed at Nationals (no duh) and I particularly enjoyed his step sequence there, but the ease of his movement is just remarkable

Thanks IP! Appreciate your kindness on this one. I guess my optimism, as many has called it, is a belief in their potential of what they could bring. Part of it is coming from the naysayers who were convinced they would bomb. To be honest, I think it's about 95 percent that they WON'T keep the three spots, but the fact is you can't ignore the 5 percent because sometimes magic happens.

Well, in this case, you should also pay attention to those skaters placing immediately behind them. They include some fairly well known names and have arsenals that could easily topple all 3 American men in the FS given how close they are.

Yes, true, particularly KDVP, who has that crazy 4-3-3.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
01. Chan
02. Takahashi
03. Oda
04. Gachinski
05. Kozuka
06. Amodio
07. Brezina
08. Verner
09. Bradley
10. Miner
11. Dornbush
12. Ten

Would have been my placements of these Short Programs. I'd have Chan ahead of Takahashi by 6 or 7 points, not 13.

skfan

Final Flight

oh please. as if abbott could have done so much better with that short program that is so unsuited to his amazing talents.

this supporter of 'nationals for all the marbles' is not going to waver because the americans skated well but are in a deep field. there's enough icky politics in skating as it is.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
01. Chan
02. Takahashi
03. Oda
04. Gachinski
05. Kozuka
06. Amodio
07. Brezina
08. Verner
09. Bradley
10. Miner
11. Dornbush
12. Ten

Would have been my placements of these Short Programs. I'd have Chan ahead of Takahashi by 6 or 7 points, not 13.

And Joubert?

prettykeys

Medalist
Well, I watched the other top performances, and Patrick Chan was indeed the class of the field. He is such a talented, well-rounded skater and he deserves his placement after the short.

I hope no one takes this as a criticism of Patrick, but it's a little confusing to me that Daisuke Takahashi's Performance/Execution score is lower at 8.21 compared to Chan's 8.54 (and one judge gave Chan a 10.00.) It looked like Takahashi maxed out his performance while Chan could have given a tiny bit more. The overall impact of the differential isn't much, but I thought that was an aspect of the scoring I don't get.

Florent Amodio is another I enjoyed (hehe @ SeriousBusiness's comment about his arms) but I hate how Morozov structured his and Miki Ando's SP to be entirely frontloaded on the jumps. Don't like that.

Also, yay for Denis Ten at #10 :biggrin:

skfan

Final Flight
THere is really no way Chan can lose this, but I hope Dai and maybe Brian can come back and medal. Not that surprised that the Japnanese men didn't look that dominant. So much stress and exhaustion, pressure...they all had to move training locations.

yes, and dai did a lot of work to organize the charity gala--mot i think posted an article about that. a lot of distraction--sitting in the different seats in the arena to determine the pricing of seats, worrying about the safety of the spectators in the arena? i admire him even more for having done that work, but it's got to detract from training. i don't know many skaters who are already prepared to be impresarios and promoters of the sport while still competing, so i think he had a bit to learn, maybe even about fire-safety limits for arenas, etc.

i haven't even finished downloading his youtube program yet so i won't comment on the actual skating, but when i saw that shirt, i thought, is this 'pimps on ice'? sorry fellow dai fans, that's my honest impression of that outfit.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
oh please. as if abbott could have done so much better with that short program that is so unsuited to his amazing talents.

I believe that "so unsuited to his amazing talents" program could easily sweep up around 78, way better than any of these American suited programs.

skfan

Final Flight
I believe that "so unsuited to his amazing talents" program could easily sweep up around 78, way better than any of these American suited programs.

there's already a long thread about it somewhere here on GS, and i won't beat the dead horse beyond saying, i believe in fairness and transparency above all and i don't think having this event count some and that event count some--any system that's more fudge-able than nationals for all the marbles-- will increase the excitement, or make the average american fan (who only watches nationals when it doesn't conflict with NFL playoffs) feel that this anonymously judged sport is worth getting behind.

but honestly, whatever. i just download and watch. i leave the point counting to the experts here.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
I've only watched Patrick's SP so far, but I must say that he deserved those scores. Going to watch some other performances now. :) :yay:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

For the record the highest Jeremy Abbott got this season was 77.61 at Cup of Russia, so pretty close to your estimate BB.

That said, I agree with skfan. The whole thing about whether these guys deserved to be here is getting old. All three skated relatively clean and did not bomb. All three made the LP, which some other countries can't say (sorry, Sweden.)

For some perspective — Jeremy Abbott finished 14th in his first Worlds SP in 2008, so Dornbush (11th) and Miner (13th) has already one-upped him. If both do well in the FS, both of them have the potential to finish better or at least match Jeremy's placement in his debut (11th).

Call me an optimist if you like, but I will root for these guys until the end and hope for great FS!

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Actually, BoP was wrong. Chan received several 1s for his elements whereas BoP claimed judges just gave him all 2s and and some 3s, therefore automatically = generous. In stating Chan's 4T/3T should not be higher than +1, BoP also failed to include any explanation as to why his view is the correct one for instance. I thought his opinion was scarce in details and actual technicality.

He received +1.86 for both his Quad Combination and Triple Axel and +1.5 for his Flip. The GOE grades were indeed mostly +2's and he DID get a few absurd 3's as well for elements (one for the Quad combination and two for the Triple Flip). I was completely correct. He received a total of +1.82 more points on his jumps than he deserved. Patrick Chan's Quad is not huge and the rotation could be more wholly completed in the air before landing. There were not any incredibly outstanding transitions before or after the Quad combo or the Triple Axel either. +1 GOE is all those jumps deserved. The Flip deserved +2 because the quality there was wonderful but certainly not +3. He would have needed to do it in Tano position or somesuch to deserve that high of a mark.

His combination spin utilizes easy positions and not an incredible amount of speed. +1 is the absolute most he would have possibly deserved there and a 0 GOE would really be fair too. He completed a Level 4 change of foot combination spin satisfactorily. It didn't sing or amaze. He received a +3 from one judge for this element and a ton of +2's. So there was an extra half point bonus right there. His change-of-foot Camel received some unwarranted +2's as well considering his average positioning and speed and again would have been fine with getting a 0 GOE. That puts his tech score at at least 2.5 points over what it should have been for all the elements I've talked about up to this point. His Flying Sit received an average of +2 GOE (with yet another +3 from a judge, that got thrown out) and that was probably too generous as well, but I won't get picky there. All in all, I would have scored his performance at an 89.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I missed a lot, but I did get to see Patrick Chan skate his SP, and this was the best skating I've seen from him since he was 16. This time he was not frenetic, and his programme was aesthetically satisfying. It was as if he finally had discovered the meaning of life (i.e., the meaning of "the art of" figure skating.). I am glad for him, and for the sport, because the sport has suffered so much in recent years, as the very core of it seemed to be forgotten.

Once upon a time, singles figure skating was about precision and elegance, and that was fine. Then came Janet Lynn, and she showed us that it could be even more than that; it could take our breath away.

Doing only top-level spins and footwork may pile up technical points, but there must be a sense of balance, a sense of an integrated programme, an artistic whole, or general audiences will inevitably get bored. I applaud Patrick's choice to do what worked, instead of just doing awkward, high-point collecting stuff. Congratulations, Patrick; you were looking good out there, and you got the points, too. ;)

herios

Medalist

And on top of that, he skated his SP most of the time cleanly all season long. But he has now to prepare his next season and move forward, forget about the "could've, should've, would've", what is that good for now?