Men's Short Program | Page 36 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program

tobynwinnie

Rinkside
Just say the tape delay. Chan was clearly the best tonight. I'm not really a Chan fan, but I can't argue with his skating skills. He put on a clinic tonight. For me Dai was the most entertaining. Dai just has that special something that makes you want to watch him. He has that Michelle Kwan quality of performing where you can't take your eyes off him. (please don't turn this into a Michelle Kwan thread lol)

tobynwinnie

Rinkside
Ross Miner is better than Richard Dornbush. And both of them were better than Denis Ten.

Ten expresses the music with his eyes, facial expressions and finger tips. He's pretty talented and seems like Frank Carroll is beginning to get this kids jumps under control. Ross and Richard are good but maybe another year away. Dornbush's LP is pretty good. It'll be interesting to see where they finish.

tobynwinnie

Rinkside
The special ice is bringing out personal best scores

Miner's program is kind of boring. Technically quite good though.

Agreed! Probably not a good choice in music because everyone can still remember Daisuke's version of it which would be next to impossible to top. Ross is too stiff.

tobynwinnie

Rinkside
Ryan Bradley

4T+2T, saved the landing on the quad
3A, good
3F, good

spinning slow
skating slow

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed how slow he was. The whole program was slow and boring. It certainly didn't have the spark that a Ryan Bradley program normally has. His performance level was way down. After seeing the way Chan skated tonight, you can really see the huge difference in skating skills.

emma

Record Breaker
I love that last sentence. That's the way I feel. I think Daisuke is one of the best skaters ever, and if he wins everything he enters, I'll be happy. But Patrick is wonderful too, and he's getting better. I think the truth is that we're in a golden age of men's skating, and we're lucky to be here. We're also in some kind of wonderful era of ladies' skating: look at the top three!

EDIT: I finally was able to watch Chan's program. Wow, what lightness and speed! I hope for purely selfish reasons that he skates this well in the long program; I'd love to see two back-to-back programs this stupendous.

I couldn't agree more with what you quoted and what you said! I also thought that Chan actually performed the heck out of this SP - in the style of the music - in ways I haven't seen him do before.

I haven't read the whole thread - but was wondering if anyone heard what Krall said to Chan in the KissNCry - she said something like it took me a whole year to tell you this (but what was the "this"?)...

I really enjoyed a lot of these SPs - Dai is such a performer - loved it and so many others were fun to watch. I have to agree with other posters who said that guy whose name is NOT Jimmy Hendrix but that's how I sort of remember it (since I haven't seen him before) has tons of potential!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I felt totally opposite for Boitano and Orser. I thought Orser had stiffy arms.:)

they both do, though I think as Orser got older it was more pronounced, where Boitano's "loosened up"... but yeah... that's about it lol

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
they both do, though I think as Orser got older it was more pronounced, where Boitano's "loosened up"... but yeah... that's about it lol

LOL, that was it! I actually only knew the older Orser and the older Boitano. I've never gone beyond 1988 Olympics.:p (well, watched Scott Hamilton's 1984 Olympic LP. I didn't like it.) It was Boitano's 1988 Olympics drew me into figure skating.:)

Last edited:

Snoopy

Rinkside
Patrick was superb! I am also very impressed with Florent Amodio and D.Takahashi!!! (have not had time to watch Oda or Russian dude, yet, but I have it on tape). Fabulous night of skating. Also, it was very nice to see so many of the fans waving Japanese flags and banners!

Snoopy

Rinkside
It's amazing how 2 skaters from the same country used the same music, in the same year and then have to skate one after the other (unless that was playful editing on the part of universal sports) - with all of the millions of pieces of music out there!! I think it hurt Joubert -- I loved Amodio's version.