Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 LastLast

Thread: Men's Short Program

Custom Title

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    You know, I don't think skaters like Dai and Nobu scoring over 80 is anything to sneeze at or for fans to feel bad about. As P J Kwong explains, 70 - 75 for SP is very good, 75 - 80 is excellent, and anything over 80 is phenomenal. Just because Patrick has a huge lead today does not diminish the values of his rivals' scores. They are worth celebrating too. I certainly don't think less of Dai, Nobu, or Taka, all excellent skaters I like, appreciate, and respect, and I'm still cheering them on.

Just because I celebrate Patrick realizing his potential does not reduce my other fandoms.
    I love that last sentence. That's the way I feel. I think Daisuke is one of the best skaters ever, and if he wins everything he enters, I'll be happy. But Patrick is wonderful too, and he's getting better. I think the truth is that we're in a golden age of men's skating, and we're lucky to be here. We're also in some kind of wonderful era of ladies' skating: look at the top three!

EDIT: I finally was able to watch Chan's program. Wow, what lightness and speed! I hope for purely selfish reasons that he skates this well in the long program; I'd love to see two back-to-back programs this stupendous.
    Last edited by Olympia; 04-27-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I think it's odd that Mens, where Canada is arguably strongest, doesn't have a OGM. But we have one in ladies. That's just wierd.

Imagine this: Adelina Sotnikova becomes the first Russian woman to win Olympic Gold (and does so at home). Patrick Chan becomes the first Canadian. That's what I'm rooting for, anyway.
    I don't know the earlier skaters. Boitano was always better than Orser in presentation. He was both technically and artistically in upper hand in 1989 Olympics. So sad for Browning. This should not happen to him. Sandhu was always wild. Buttle has never been a strong jumper. He has the world class artistry for sure. An Olympic bronze and a Worlds title were great already. Chan is the closest hope for Canada ever since Browning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I don't know the earlier skaters. Boitano was always better than Orser in presentation. He was both technically and artistically in upper hand in 1989 Olympics. So sad for Browning. This should not happen to him. Sandhu was always wild. Buttle has never been a strong jumper. He has the world class artistry for sure. An Olympic bronze and a Worlds title were great already. Chan is the closest hope for Canada ever since Browning.
    Hmmmm, no I think Orser had the upperhand artistically from Boitano who was and is very stiff... he's not "musical"... but his 88 (not 89 ) LP was inspired. One of Bezics best creations... the only thing that held Orser back that night was a flubbed jump. So close!

Kurt's best Olympics - skate wise - was in 88 in Calgary as well, oddly enough. 92 he had a back injury that he really had no business skating with at all... and 94 he came off the ice after his short program with the all too remembered "I guess the Olympics just aren't my thing." But he skated a heartfelt long and had his best finish of all three OGs in 5th. It happens... Stojko and Orser both have two silvers each... nothing to be ashamed of there.

Banned
    You know, I don't think skaters like Dai and Nobu scoring over 80 is anything to sneeze at or for fans to feel bad about. As P J Kwong explains, 70 - 75 for SP is very good, 75 - 80 is excellent, and anything over 80 is phenomenal. Just because Patrick has a huge lead today does not diminish the values of his rivals' scores. They are worth celebrating too. I certainly don't think less of Dai, Nobu, or Taka, all excellent skaters I like, appreciate, and respect, and I'm still cheering them on.

Just because I celebrate Patrick realizing his potential does not reduce my other fandoms.
    Chan haters are just upset because Chan didn't make any mistakes so they can grill on him.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Well crappity, I knew I was missing something. Someone posted the wrong download link to what was supposed to be Ross Miner's SP, I didn't notice until now. Finally got to see his performance. If I was one for outrage this is where it might kick in. He skated that SP perfectly (but for an edge call and a minor flub on his flying upright) but still wound up in 13th place. However, that 13th is irrelevant as he is virtually tied with 11th and 12th, both of whom are also American! Miner actually got the highest PCS of the three American men (rightfully so!), he is only slightly behind because some lower level calls and less +GOE on his spins compared to Dornbush.

But one thought nags: why is Ross skating to salsa music? His hips were as stiff as a statue, and he utterly lacks the flair to pull off such a festive rhythm. Now if he made a huge effort to learn salsa, and the choreography of the piece actually paid attention to the music and style, it could be a triumph. But none of that was true, and it was a glaring failure to match the music. So when all is said and done, I don't have a problem with his score, either. His FS is much better suited to him, and as the judges seem willing to give him a fair chance, I think he can do well in the next segment of the competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Hmmmm, no I think Orser had the upperhand artistically from Boitano who was and is very stiff... he's not "musical"... but his 88 (not 89 ) LP was inspired. One of Bezics best creations... the only thing that held Orser back that night was a flubbed jump. So close!

Kurt's best Olympics - skate wise - was in 88 in Calgary as well, oddly enough. 92 he had a back injury that he really had no business skating with at all... and 94 he came off the ice after his short program with the all too remembered "I guess the Olympics just aren't my thing." But he skated a heartfelt long and had his best finish of all three OGs in 5th. It happens... Stojko and Orser both have two silvers each... nothing to be ashamed of there.
    Right, 1988! Why have I always written 89?! It happened once before already.

I felt totally opposite for Boitano and Orser. I thought Orser had stiffy arms.

I totally forgot Stojko. Never liked his skating. He was a fighter. But I never felt he deserved Olympic gold in both Olympics he entered.

Custom Title
    I'm a Daisuke fan but Chan's skating last night was just phenomenal and I think the big lead is justifiable. I do agree that knowing the winner before the free skating takes away excitement significantly, but that's not Chan's nor judges fault, rather it should be a discussion of whether to bring back Ordinals or not. Humm...

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Well crappity, I knew I was missing something. Someone posted the wrong download link to what was supposed to be Ross Miner's SP, I didn't notice until now. Finally got to see his performance. If I was one for outrage this is where it might kick in. He skated that SP perfectly (but for an edge call and a minor flub on his flying upright) but still wound up in 13th place. However, that 13th is irrelevant as he is virtually tied with 11th and 12th, both of whom are also American! Miner actually got the highest PCS of the three American men (rightfully so!), he is only slightly behind because some lower level calls and less +GOE on his spins compared to Dornbush.

But one thought nags: why is Ross skating to salsa music? His hips were as stiff as a statue, and he utterly lacks the flair to pull off such a festive rhythm. Now if he made a huge effort to learn salsa, and the choreography of the piece actually paid attention to the music and style, it could be a triumph. But none of that was true, and it was a glaring failure to match the music. So when all is said and done, I don't have a problem with his score, either. His FS is much better suited to him, and as the judges seem willing to give him a fair chance, I think he can do well in the next segment of the competition.
    Yeah, I just rewatched it. Yeah the three Americans (and Ten) are virtually tied with only 0.6 points between 10th and 13th and Joubert is only ahead of Ten by .29 so Basically 0.89 of point between 9th and 13th.

I think it's a tossup between Miner and Dornbush to be the slight leader of the three Americans. I think Miner did well considering that yeah, Salsa doesn't suit him.

I think the FS of Miner and Dornbush are great, so I think they have the potential to move up a few places. Bradley's whole chamber music thing is fun to watch, but not sure how it will translate given that 1.) he did it last year and 2.) you're dealing with a Russian audience.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    While Miner may not be the best at Salsa, I still think he gave it a great effort and had a good understanding of the choreography. His interpretation is better than Dornbush's. With superior jumping quality over Dornbush between these two performances as well, he definitely should have been ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    To me, Chan could have left off the friend-nudging, girl-hugging and face-punching, and just skated.
    Agreed. That's why I think Chan's programs in 2009 are by far his best. For me, Chan is best when he skates as if he's playing a piano. Precise, internalized, and patrician. His SP this year is an attempt at a character piece and I don't believe he is really able to pull it off. He's not an actor. That's also why his Phantom of the Opera program underwhelms (aside from a questionable music cut). He simply isn't good at relaying emotions overtly.
    Last edited by Blades of Passion; 04-28-2011 at 01:54 AM.

Rinkside
    Just say the tape delay. Chan was clearly the best tonight. I'm not really a Chan fan, but I can't argue with his skating skills. He put on a clinic tonight. For me Dai was the most entertaining. Dai just has that special something that makes you want to watch him. He has that Michelle Kwan quality of performing where you can't take your eyes off him. (please don't turn this into a Michelle Kwan thread lol)

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Ross Miner is better than Richard Dornbush. And both of them were better than Denis Ten.
    Ten expresses the music with his eyes, facial expressions and finger tips. He's pretty talented and seems like Frank Carroll is beginning to get this kids jumps under control. Ross and Richard are good but maybe another year away. Dornbush's LP is pretty good. It'll be interesting to see where they finish.

Rinkside
    The special ice is bringing out personal best scores

Miner's program is kind of boring. Technically quite good though.
    Agreed! Probably not a good choice in music because everyone can still remember Daisuke's version of it which would be next to impossible to top. Ross is too stiff.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Ryan Bradley

4T+2T, saved the landing on the quad
    3A, good
    3F, good

spinning slow
    skating slow
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed how slow he was. The whole program was slow and boring. It certainly didn't have the spark that a Ryan Bradley program normally has. His performance level was way down. After seeing the way Chan skated tonight, you can really see the huge difference in skating skills.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I love that last sentence. That's the way I feel. I think Daisuke is one of the best skaters ever, and if he wins everything he enters, I'll be happy. But Patrick is wonderful too, and he's getting better. I think the truth is that we're in a golden age of men's skating, and we're lucky to be here. We're also in some kind of wonderful era of ladies' skating: look at the top three!

EDIT: I finally was able to watch Chan's program. Wow, what lightness and speed! I hope for purely selfish reasons that he skates this well in the long program; I'd love to see two back-to-back programs this stupendous.
    I couldn't agree more with what you quoted and what you said! I also thought that Chan actually performed the heck out of this SP - in the style of the music - in ways I haven't seen him do before.

I haven't read the whole thread - but was wondering if anyone heard what Krall said to Chan in the KissNCry - she said something like it took me a whole year to tell you this (but what was the "this"?)...

I really enjoyed a lot of these SPs - Dai is such a performer - loved it and so many others were fun to watch. I have to agree with other posters who said that guy whose name is NOT Jimmy Hendrix but that's how I sort of remember it (since I haven't seen him before) has tons of potential!

Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 LastLast