Men's LP | Page 41 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

Art&Sport

Medalist
To each his own, kendal. If you enjoy Brezina, more power to you and to him, with the judges' help of course. BTW, I'm not making accusations, just observations. The scoring for Brezina's weak performance speaks loud and clear. IF you don't agree with me, that's your right.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I am of course deeply saddened by what happened to Daisuke. It did not have to happen today. But it did and that's life. I was however impressed by the mental strength he's got now. Too many years have I spent worrying about my most beloved headcase; now I can just say I trust him - no matter what happens, he'll not be beaten by it. And the best thing that has come out of this disaster is that he is now openly talking about continuing to compete. I am not sure whether he'll win any more World or Olympic medals, but a joy of seeing him skating competition programmes will overweigh any disappointments in placements.

Mot, when did Daisuke say he wanted to continue? Do you have a link to an article? I too am happy to see him compete even if he never wins another medal in his career. Continuing to enjoy his performance quality (and hair and costumes, heh) alone will be worth it.

Lily.Grace

Rinkside
Rofl rofl rofl

if plushenko were doing commentary here is how it would go:

"artur deserve medal; he is man & he does quad like good mens figure skating"

"nobunari oda should win platinum medal; is no such thing as too much jumping in mens figure skating"

"takahashi deserve boot problem; he did not do quad in short program of mens figure skating"

"american federation send wrong men to world championship; only one does quad"

mot

On the Ice
Mot, when did Daisuke say he wanted to continue? Do you have a link to an article? I too am happy to see him compete even if he never wins another medal in his career. Continuing to enjoy his performance quality (and hair and costumes, heh) alone will be worth it.

http://mainichi.jp/enta/sports/general/general/news/20110429k0000m050146000c.html

He said, 'when I restarted, I knew the podium finish was out of reach, but I still wanted the rest of the programme to be perfect'; but there were errors in the remaining jumps and step sequence. Up until now, he has never made it clear whether he was going to continue his competitive career, but he stated he would try to go to Sochi; 'my motivations is back. I have nothing to lose.'

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/f-sp-tp0-20110428-767940.html

The screws came off. I thought about continuing the performance, but it was impossible as the blade came off the heel of my boot. I accept the result. I could not give my best performance today. I don't want this to be my last competition in my career. I am thinking of carrying on until Sochi.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
What are Dai chances of getting back to the podium??? He is the oldest one of the trio, and frankly speaking his jumps are going downhill. He no longer has the reliable quad (less than 25%), and his jumps getting <. Too many new juniors, + his three country mates + Chan... unlike women you cannot won a medal with just 6-7 clean triples ...or without quad (now that everyone is attempting and landing)

Shlepa

Rinkside
What are Dai chances of getting back to the podium??? He is the oldest one of the trio, and frankly speaking his jumps are going downhill. He no longer has the reliable quad (less than 25%), and his jumps getting <. Too many new juniors, + his three country mates + Chan... unlike women you cannot won a medal with just 6-7 clean triples ...or without quad (now that everyone is attempting and landing)

Well, there are too many "hungry old men" who want to compete: Plush, Joubert, Dai... Why not, I think they all still have something to show

chloepoco

Medalist
http://mainichi.jp/enta/sports/general/general/news/20110429k0000m050146000c.html

He said, 'when I restarted, I knew the podium finish was out of reach, but I still wanted the rest of the programme to be perfect'; but there were errors in the remaining jumps and step sequence. Up until now, he has never made it clear whether he was going to continue his competitive career, but he stated he would try to go to Sochi; 'my motivations is back. I have nothing to lose.'

The screws came off. I thought about continuing the performance, but it was impossible as the blade came off the heel of my boot. I accept the result. I could not give my best performance today. I don't want this to be my last competition in my career. I am thinking of carrying on until Sochi.

I admire Daisuke for his gracious attitude about what happened. In the interview immediately following his skate, he said it was "his fault" what happened. I'm glad he will continue his amateur career!

mot

On the Ice

We'll wait and see is all I can say. He's planning to take screws out of his knee this year. He was advised by the famous ballet dancer in Japan, who had gone through the same surgery, that it would take minimum two years to get back where he was before the injury. Also, we can think of Kevin Van Del Perren, who lost his quad due to the injury, but got it back last year at the age of 27. Takahiko's TES surpassed Patrick's TES even he had one quad in his programme, while Patrick had two. So it's not all about the quad just yet.

I think what really hurt him this season was the change in regulations about spins; spins have always been his nemesis, but up until this season, he somehow managed to get Lv4's by the end. He didn't manage this time. Well, we'll wait and see...

ETA:
bibi24

There's nothing stopping him from winning the spot at the Worlds and Olys, nor Machida nor Mura nor Daisuke Murakami. All they have to do is to beat the current top 3 at the Japan Nats. If you win the national title, you're guaranteed to be selected to represent Japan. It's up to them! :)

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker

Thank you for the links! I'm so happy Daisuke has decided to continue :yay: :yay:
But I do hope Daisuke puts his health (i.e. his knee) as his first priority. I assume he's still planning to undergo the surgery this summer?

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Does this mean 3 more years Hanyu gets left off worlds team??? He should represent Taiwan or something....

I hope not. Hanyu is still very young only 18 or 19, and still have issue with stigma. Once he grow up a bit and gain more muscle, he can overcome this. Technique wise he is pretty solid and have more eyes catching performance quality than Oda. Definitely on the right track. We don't know if Dai will continue to struggle with injury or if Oda ever learn how to Count... lol

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Well, there are too many "hungry old men" who want to compete: Plush, Joubert, Dai... Why not, I think they all still have something to show

There is no point in Plushenko or Joubert competing at this point. If they wish to they can of course, but both had better get used to poor results and floating around as has beens with nothing better to do in that case. Takahashi is the only one of that trio who might have some hope. However he has some major work to do over the summer if he is to continue.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Thanks for your input, evangeline. Verner IMO should have received a bronze medal at Worlds in 2007 (I believe it was, I have to check) when he had a fantastic lp.

Verner definitely did not deserve the bronze at the 2007 Worlds. He had a fabulous LP but so did Lambiel with much better artistry and spins than Verner. Lambiel had a few mistakes but Verner had a fall too, and both had problems in the short.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
There's nothing stopping him from winning the spot at the Worlds and Olys, nor Machida nor Mura nor Daisuke Murakami. All they have to do is to beat the current top 3 at the Japan Nats. If you win the national title, you're guaranteed to be selected to represent Japan. It's up to them! :)

That's true. I wouldn't mind him sticking around.... Maybe one of the skater should represent some other country lol...

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
There is no point in Plushenko or Joubert competing at this point. If they wish to they can of course, but both had better get used to poor results and floating around as has beens with nothing better to do in that case. Takahashi is the only one of that trio who might have some hope. However he has some major work to do over the summer if he is to continue.

Joubert is no longer the picture of consistency. Plushy, he already has numeruous WC medals and 3 Olymp medals.... talk about hungry hungry hungry Plushy...