Men's LP | Page 34 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Japan is the only country to have 3 spots, yes?
2 Spots for Canada, Russia, Czech Republic, France, U.S., Spain
Kazakhstan, Sweden, Italy and Belguim drop down to 1 spot.

lavender

Record Breaker
If only Brian would have tacked on another triple in the short then they probably would have put him ahead of Artur.

Krislite

Medalist
Patrick Chan World Champion!!

DAMN that sounds good.

For those who can't handle it...Too bad!! :D

A skater's skater has won again (Dai is another one of those IMO) which is an excellent thing for the sport.

Okay now...Russian Members, you're not going to like this, so you're warned....

That Medal Ceremony was wonderful. That is until it was time for the playing of Oh Canada. I don't care who made that bush league decision to play a shortened version of Oh Canada, in fact it could have been any Gold Medalist's Anthem other than a Russian skater, and I'll get to that in a minute, because no one who wins a World Title in any sport deserves that!!

If you talk to any Athlete, what do they look forward to the most? What do they dream of? Standing on that top spot w/their Anthem playing and singing along w/it. Patrick did not get that. However, I'm betting that if Artur had pulled off one hell of an upset, we would have heard the complete Russian National Anthem in all it's glory.

That was disgusting and I was so impressed by how Moscow was pulling these Championships off too. It really did look like they'd pulled of a wonderful and classy event. Up to the Medal Ceremony that is.

As I said before...I'm sorry Russian Members, but that really was a disgusting move to make.

Plushy must have been at the CD player, cutting off the anthem. :laugh:

herios

Medalist
The Americans have a lot to do to catch up with Chan and the Japanese, even Amodio and Brezina.

I am for sure Lysacek has moved on (like Kwan, Cohen before him he is keeping himslef in the public eye to rake the money in, that why he has not officially announced retirement)

Weir has the IT factor and is raking the money in (good for him) and the last we will see of him too!!

so yes its down to the likes of Dornbush, Rippon to move it forward

Abbott has it all, but mentally has not got it and time is running out for him (sorry Jeremy!!)

The americans REALLY have to master the quad to be competitive for the podium. Gone are the days when you win in in Evan's quadless style. That is why I think neither Evan, nor Johnny will come back to skate in the amateur arena. To get the quad under their belt at their age will be too much of an effort to ask.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
I don't get all the Gachinski's hate and sour grapes thrown at him..

Nobody else beside him stepped up and his bronze is well deserved and It could have happened in any other country with the way things developed in the LP. Nobu blew it, Dai had a disaster, Amodio self-destructing, Brezina with 2 falls and Brian always way behind after the SP. Plus he was really into his performances and had the SOHL whether you like his style or not.

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
To all you who are outraged at Gachinsky's bronze, did you actually see his performance? I've outright disliked his skating before, but he was great here. He performed the hell out of the piece, as well as landing every jump in one of the most difficult jump layouts of the night. And it's time to stop calling him a Plushenko-clone. Plushenko never did a program with so many transitions and intricate skating in between elements. Gachinsky's score was spot on. The only advantage he got was a supportive home country crowd that buoyed him psychologically and made him skate better. And skating in front of an expectant home crowd is as much pressure as it is support, so all credit to Artur for living up to it.

And there was no collusion to give him the bronze, unless you seriously think Oda was somehow tricked/pressured into making a silly Zayak mistake. Had Oda doubled the 3t on his 3a/3t, he'd have the bronze.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
I'm still puzzled by the high PCS for Gachinski, he got more for choreography than Amodio (7.93 vs. 7.64), can anyone justify this?

Yes, excessive posing on the ice means his ice coverage was substandard. Given that ice coverage is a criterion of CH, and the amount of standing he did was more than acceptable, I would take off a full point on his CH component. For example, if everything being equal, he should receive 7.5 for CH, the actual mark given will be 6.5

Similar penalty can also be applied on SS and TR, both are significantly affected by the excessive posing and standing / non-skating movement on ice.

herios

Medalist
haha, same here! :)
Sikharulidze just said he liked Kozuka best.

Then I have the same opinion as him. The reality is I consider Phantom at this point another Carmen ( I am sick of it) and can't stand the music anymore, that I why I never liked much Patrick's program, but that is a personal taste.

Last edited:

Krislite

Medalist
Yes, excessive posing on the ice means his ice coverage was substandard. Given that ice coverage is a criterion of CH, and the amount of standing he did was more than acceptable, I would take off a full point on his CH component. For example, if everything being equal, he should receive 7.5 for CH, the actual mark given will be 6.5

Similar penalty can also be applied on SS and TR, both are significantly affected by the excessive posing and standing / non-skating movement on ice.

I have a question for you: can you explain the no deduction for Amodio's program music? Did the ISU recently repeal the ban on music with lyrics?

wallylutz

Medalist
I did not realise Oda lost 12 points (Ouch!!)

I feel that we are never going to get away from Political judging in this sport, Gachinski was good but hey a BRONZE Crazy!! More back handers, and money taking from certain officials to enflate scores.

Ciniquatta needs to go!!!! (He has ruined this sport)

Well, Russia did underwrite his whole event and it was paid for entirely by the Russian Government and Putin. Everyone knows how important the Men's discipline is to Russia given Plushenko's status. Gachinski represents that hope for Russia in Sochi in the event that Plushenko is unable or unwilling to return to competition.

kensal

Rinkside
To all you who are outraged at Gachinsky's bronze, did you actually see his performance? I've outright disliked his skating before, but he was great here. He performed the hell out of the piece, as well as landing every jump in one of the most difficult jump layouts of the night. And it's time to stop calling him a Plushenko-clone. Plushenko never did a program with so many transitions and intricate skating in between elements. Gachinsky's score was spot on. The only advantage he got was a supportive home country crowd that buoyed him psychologically and made him skate better. And skating in front of an expectant home crowd is as much pressure as it is support, so all credit to Artur for living up to it.

And there was no collusion to give him the bronze, unless you seriously think Oda was somehow tricked/pressured into making a silly Zayak mistake. Had Oda doubled the 3t on his 3a/3t, he'd have the bronze.

I completely agree. He should have got some extra points for skating and selling so well to THAT horribly choreographed program.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The 2 American lads brought it because there was no pressure on them, without podium expectaion. Bradley, OTOH, could feel it. His programs will never get him the hardware he wanted no matter how he skated. No transitions, no edges, no upper body movements, no speed.............no decent PCS.

I mentioned before he felt motivated seeing Patrick doing quads in training so he focused so much on his quads, doing 15 to 18 in a day sometimes. So his quads and other jumps look like practice jumps instead of program elements. Somehow he was never inspired by Patrick's intricate footwork into his jumps.

Fighting for the 2 spots will be intense for the Americans next season.

Layfan

Record Breaker
The americans REALLY have to master the quad to be competitive for the podium. Gone are the days when you win in in Evan's quadless style. That is why I think neither Evan, nor Johnny will come back to skate in the amateur arena. To get the quad under their belt at their age will be too much of an effort to ask.

Hard not to agree. I wonder if Richard or Ross have it in them to master the quad. Can't help but be skeptical about Rippon and seem like he also has to concentrate on fixing other jumps. But such a wonderful skater. I do hope Adam can improve. Jeremy is still by far the class of the field but it's so hard to think of him as the leader for the next four years given his age and al the problems he had this year.

janetfan

Match Penalty
The 2 American lads brought it because there was no pressure on them, without podium expectaion. Bradley, OTOH, could feel it. His programs will never get him the hardware he wanted no matter how he skated. No transitions, no edges, no upper body movements, no speed.............no decent PCS.

I mentioned before he felt motivated seeing Patrick doing quads in training so he focused so much on his quads, doing 15 to 18 in a day sometimes. So his quads and other jumps look like practice jumps instead of program elements. Somehow he was never inspired by Patrick's intricate footwork into his jumps.

Let's not forget Reynolds and Russell who skated much worse than Bradley. :sheesh:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I would have had the overall rankings as:

01. Patrick Chan (1st SP, 2nd LP)
02. Takahiko Kozuka (5th SP, 1st LP)
03. Artur Gachinski (4th SP, 3rd LP)
04. Nobunari Oda (3rd SP, 4th LP)
05. Daisuke Takahashi (2nd SP, 10th LP)
06. Ross Miner (9th SP, 5th LP)
07. Michal Brezina (7th SP, 8th LP)
08. Florent Amodio (6th SP, 11th LP)
09. Brian Joubert (12th SP, 7th LP)
10. Javier Fernandez (15th SP, 6th LP)
11. Richard Dornbush (11th SP, 9th LP)
12. Ryan Bradley (10th SP, 12th LP)
13. Tomas Verner (8th SP, 14th LP)
14. Peter Liebers (14th SP, 13th LP)

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Bradley could try to get another US Nationals title. Otherwise, he could be a star in SOI. His result is as expected. The bad thing is that there is no broken-foot excuses from his fans this time.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I have a question for you: can you explain the no deduction for Amodio's program music? Did the ISU recently repeal the ban on music with lyrics?

You didn't ask me but I think I have an explanation... According to the latest published ISU rulebook, lyrics in music is still a deduction outside of ice dancing. They could've made the rule change and issued it in a memo that I missed.

However, this is how a vocal music deduction would actually happen:

The entire judging panel including the referee must vote on whether there should be a deduction. A majority of them must agree on a deduction. Even if it's a 50:50 split, there is no deduction.

We don't see the results of that vote on the protocols, but it's possible enough of the judges/referee gave Amodio a pass here. If that's the case, there's no guarantee that the same music wouldn't get a deduction at a subsequent competition.