Page 54 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Men's LP

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, kendal, fs is a political sport. The scoring alone is evidence of that. The fact CoP was instituted in the first place is evidence of that. The fact the judges are anonymous is evidence of that -- they cloak their politics in anonymity, but it often shows up clearly in the scoring. If Brezina had been able to stay on his feet, and not obviously show that he was losing energy and stamina at the end, then I could live with his marks (which I'll have to anyway, but not w/o speaking out). He's been a judges' favorite, and the fact Verner did not perform well and dropped in the standings apparently meant the judges were bound to keep Brezina in a high position. Gachinski in a high position too, also shows Politics is alive and well in the sport of figure skating ... nothing new. Brezina is an excellent jumper with good skating skills, but he sorely lacks artistry and presentation skills at this point in his career, IMO.
    You still did not answer my question. Are you implying that there is some kind of Chech lobby there? You may know something I don't know as I never realized that their federation is so powerful to politic.

Custom Title
    Thanks for your input, evangeline. Verner IMO should have received a bronze medal at Worlds in 2007 (I believe it was, I have to check) when he had a fantastic lp. Verner is extremely talented, but he hasn't managed to pull it altogether consistently. Luck, hard work, talent, and unfortunately politics are all factors. Tomas, no matter how talented, has often not been consistent. He hasn't been as favored by the judges either, as has Brezina, and Oda for that matter. Perhaps the judges prefer blazing jumping ability vs artistry and complete skating (even consistency doesn't matter sometimes, as in the case of Brezina's lp here).

Ha ha, kendal, as if it takes a powerful Czech lobby alone for politics in scoring. I don't need to name names, all I need to do is point to Brezina's performance and his marks. Politics is rampant, and what the skaters do on the ice matters as well, but not as much generally as where the judges want to slot skaters. That's why it's important to skate one's best, and then the placements of course are out of the athletes' hands. You actually seem to know more about federation lobbying and politicking than I do.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 04-28-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Custom Title

Artur & Frontloading

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Artur Gachinski's LP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvDqL96SCLM

For some reason, I think Gachinski is the combination of 70% Plushenko + 30% Abt. He did great with a little transitions (Gosh, I've been brain-washed by this board!). I like him better than Amodio. I don't mind he gets a little high PCS. Well done for a young skater in his senior debut! Congratulations to Gachinski!
    Thanks Bluebonnet. Anyone have thoughts on why Artur also frontloads his jumps ala Plushenko?

ie. Artur's quad, 2x 3A, + triple triple combination are all at beginning of the program..... though not as telegraphed as Plushy's....

Maybe it could be beneficial for Artur to shake up his team a bit. Retain Mishin as a jumping coach, then go overseas for help with choregraphy, spins, etc. Help him expand before it's too late....

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post

Ha ha, kendal, as if it takes a powerful Czech lobby alone for politics in scoring. I don't need to name names, all I need to do is point to Brezina's performance and his marks. Politics is rampant, and what the skaters do on the ice matters as well, but not as much generally as where the judges want to slot skaters. That's why it's important to skate one's best, and then the placements of course are out of the athletes' hands. You actually seem to know more about federation lobbying and politicking than I do.
    You are the one talking about politicking. you are very vague in your accusations and living in your own psychotic bubble. LOL.

Custom Title
    Finally got my composure back - it was a competition to remember for more than one reasons.

I kinda blame myself for not including it in my little wish list yesterday that Nobu not to break the Zayak rule. As I wished, he did not do too many combos, just did a wrong combo instead...sigh...

Other wishes came true mostly; Takahiko came back from the 6th extremely strong, Patrick gave us a nearly perfect performance, Brian pulled it together just like he did at the Euros, at least Tomas had a go at 4T, and Daisuke, against all odds, gave me one of the most passionate choreo step sequences of the season on the international stage.

Delighted with Michal's 4th finish at the end of the rather difficult season; after learning what happened at the qualifiers, I did not believe he had his physical strength back yet. Two kinds of the quad landed to boot. He came in the 4th last year, even without a triple-triple combo in the long. What a difference a year can make when you're young!

Also delighted with Artur's performance; it took me a whole season to warm to his long (I always liked his short in a quirky way) but it was a performance well deserved to be rewarded with the score it received. And that boy has a nerve of steel! How old is he? 17? Only one representing Russia in the WC held on home soil? Bravo.

I am of course deeply saddened by what happened to Daisuke. It did not have to happen today. But it did and that's life. I was however impressed by the mental strength he's got now. Too many years have I spent worrying about my most beloved headcase; now I can just say I trust him - no matter what happens, he'll not be beaten by it. And the best thing that has come out of this disaster is that he is now openly talking about continuing to compete. I am not sure whether he'll win any more World or Olympic medals, but a joy of seeing him skating competition programmes will overweigh any disappointments in placements.

Ross Miner! The big hole in my heart that was created when Jeremy missed the spot, has been partially filled by his performance today.

I so wanted Daisuke to steal my heart (again) today, but Brian took it instead by his gutsy performance. In the battle of costumes, Daisuke won though.

And finally, this is what I want to say to Takahiko - thank you for the performance. I'll treasure it for a long time.

Custom Title
    To each his own, kendal. If you enjoy Brezina, more power to you and to him, with the judges' help of course. BTW, I'm not making accusations, just observations. The scoring for Brezina's weak performance speaks loud and clear. IF you don't agree with me, that's your right.

Rinkside

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Germanice View Post
    Btw., where was Yags???? Saw Plushenko, Tat, Rodnina, Sikharulidze in the audience ... but not him!
    Being gorgeous in Yekatarineburg for god knows what Forum of Youth Something

http://www.championat.ru/other/news-796884.html
    http://s005.radikal.ru/i210/1104/39/1916e4774bbe.jpg

I really need to learn Russian!

Custom Title
    mot...what a lovely post above, I agree whole heatedly!

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagudinah View Post
    Being gorgeous in Yekatarineburg for god knows what Forum of Youth Something

http://www.championat.ru/other/news-796884.html
    http://s005.radikal.ru/i210/1104/39/1916e4774bbe.jpg

I really need to learn Russian!
    Thanks for the information! Why can't he just appear in Moscow audience instead these days, if only for the pleasure of his old, grumbling non-Russian fans ...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mot View Post
    I am of course deeply saddened by what happened to Daisuke. It did not have to happen today. But it did and that's life. I was however impressed by the mental strength he's got now. Too many years have I spent worrying about my most beloved headcase; now I can just say I trust him - no matter what happens, he'll not be beaten by it. And the best thing that has come out of this disaster is that he is now openly talking about continuing to compete. I am not sure whether he'll win any more World or Olympic medals, but a joy of seeing him skating competition programmes will overweigh any disappointments in placements.
    Mot, when did Daisuke say he wanted to continue? Do you have a link to an article? I too am happy to see him compete even if he never wins another medal in his career. Continuing to enjoy his performance quality (and hair and costumes, heh) alone will be worth it.

Rofl rofl rofl

Quote Originally Posted by backstage barbie View Post
    if plushenko were doing commentary here is how it would go:

"artur deserve medal; he is man & he does quad like good mens figure skating"

"nobunari oda should win platinum medal; is no such thing as too much jumping in mens figure skating"

"takahashi deserve boot problem; he did not do quad in short program of mens figure skating"

"american federation send wrong men to world championship; only one does quad"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Mot, when did Daisuke say he wanted to continue?
    http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/wi...OHT1T00299.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwOJ3AghbDQ

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Mot, when did Daisuke say he wanted to continue? Do you have a link to an article? I too am happy to see him compete even if he never wins another medal in his career. Continuing to enjoy his performance quality (and hair and costumes, heh) alone will be worth it.
    http://mainichi.jp/enta/sports/gener...50146000c.html

He said, 'when I restarted, I knew the podium finish was out of reach, but I still wanted the rest of the programme to be perfect'; but there were errors in the remaining jumps and step sequence. Up until now, he has never made it clear whether he was going to continue his competitive career, but he stated he would try to go to Sochi; 'my motivations is back. I have nothing to lose.'

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/n...28-767940.html

The screws came off. I thought about continuing the performance, but it was impossible as the blade came off the heel of my boot. I accept the result. I could not give my best performance today. I don't want this to be my last competition in my career. I am thinking of carrying on until Sochi.

Custom Title
    What are Dai chances of getting back to the podium??? He is the oldest one of the trio, and frankly speaking his jumps are going downhill. He no longer has the reliable quad (less than 25%), and his jumps getting <. Too many new juniors, + his three country mates + Chan... unlike women you cannot won a medal with just 6-7 clean triples ...or without quad (now that everyone is attempting and landing)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    He is the oldest one of the trio.
    Does this mean 3 more years Hanyu gets left off worlds team??? He should represent Taiwan or something....

Page 54 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast