Page 55 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast

Thread: Men's LP

Medalist
    Never mind.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    What are Dai chances of getting back to the podium??? He is the oldest one of the trio, and frankly speaking his jumps are going downhill. He no longer has the reliable quad (less than 25%), and his jumps getting <. Too many new juniors, + his three country mates + Chan... unlike women you cannot won a medal with just 6-7 clean triples ...or without quad (now that everyone is attempting and landing)
    Well, there are too many "hungry old men" who want to compete: Plush, Joubert, Dai... Why not, I think they all still have something to show

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mot View Post
    http://mainichi.jp/enta/sports/gener...50146000c.html

He said, 'when I restarted, I knew the podium finish was out of reach, but I still wanted the rest of the programme to be perfect'; but there were errors in the remaining jumps and step sequence. Up until now, he has never made it clear whether he was going to continue his competitive career, but he stated he would try to go to Sochi; 'my motivations is back. I have nothing to lose.'

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/n...28-767940.html

The screws came off. I thought about continuing the performance, but it was impossible as the blade came off the heel of my boot. I accept the result. I could not give my best performance today. I don't want this to be my last competition in my career. I am thinking of carrying on until Sochi.
    I admire Daisuke for his gracious attitude about what happened. In the interview immediately following his skate, he said it was "his fault" what happened. I'm glad he will continue his amateur career!

Custom Title
    What are Dai chances of getting back to the podium??? He is the oldest one of the trio, and frankly speaking his jumps are going downhill. He no longer has the reliable quad (less than 25%), and his jumps getting <. Too many new juniors, + his three country mates + Chan... unlike women you cannot won a medal with just 6-7 clean triples ...or without quad (now that everyone is attempting and landing)
    We'll wait and see is all I can say. He's planning to take screws out of his knee this year. He was advised by the famous ballet dancer in Japan, who had gone through the same surgery, that it would take minimum two years to get back where he was before the injury. Also, we can think of Kevin Van Del Perren, who lost his quad due to the injury, but got it back last year at the age of 27. Takahiko's TES surpassed Patrick's TES even he had one quad in his programme, while Patrick had two. So it's not all about the quad just yet.

I think what really hurt him this season was the change in regulations about spins; spins have always been his nemesis, but up until this season, he somehow managed to get Lv4's by the end. He didn't manage this time. Well, we'll wait and see...

ETA:
    bibi24

There's nothing stopping him from winning the spot at the Worlds and Olys, nor Machida nor Mura nor Daisuke Murakami. All they have to do is to beat the current top 3 at the Japan Nats. If you win the national title, you're guaranteed to be selected to represent Japan. It's up to them!
    Last edited by mot; 04-28-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Custom Title

http://mainichi.jp/enta/sports/gener...50146000c.html

He said, 'when I restarted, I knew the podium finish was out of reach, but I still wanted the rest of the programme to be perfect'; but there were errors in the remaining jumps and step sequence. Up until now, he has never made it clear whether he was going to continue his competitive career, but he stated he would try to go to Sochi; 'my motivations is back. I have nothing to lose.'

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/n...28-767940.html

The screws came off. I thought about continuing the performance, but it was impossible as the blade came off the heel of my boot. I accept the result. I could not give my best performance today. I don't want this to be my last competition in my career. I am thinking of carrying on until Sochi.

Thank you for the links! I'm so happy Daisuke has decided to continue
    But I do hope Daisuke puts his health (i.e. his knee) as his first priority. I assume he's still planning to undergo the surgery this summer?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    Does this mean 3 more years Hanyu gets left off worlds team??? He should represent Taiwan or something....
    I hope not. Hanyu is still very young only 18 or 19, and still have issue with stigma. Once he grow up a bit and gain more muscle, he can overcome this. Technique wise he is pretty solid and have more eyes catching performance quality than Oda. Definitely on the right track. We don't know if Dai will continue to struggle with injury or if Oda ever learn how to Count... lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shlepa View Post
    Well, there are too many "hungry old men" who want to compete: Plush, Joubert, Dai... Why not, I think they all still have something to show
    There is no point in Plushenko or Joubert competing at this point. If they wish to they can of course, but both had better get used to poor results and floating around as has beens with nothing better to do in that case. Takahashi is the only one of that trio who might have some hope. However he has some major work to do over the summer if he is to continue.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Thanks for your input, evangeline. Verner IMO should have received a bronze medal at Worlds in 2007 (I believe it was, I have to check) when he had a fantastic lp.
    Verner definitely did not deserve the bronze at the 2007 Worlds. He had a fabulous LP but so did Lambiel with much better artistry and spins than Verner. Lambiel had a few mistakes but Verner had a fall too, and both had problems in the short.

Custom Title

There's nothing stopping him from winning the spot at the Worlds and Olys, nor Machida nor Mura nor Daisuke Murakami. All they have to do is to beat the current top 3 at the Japan Nats. If you win the national title, you're guaranteed to be selected to represent Japan. It's up to them!
    That's true. I wouldn't mind him sticking around.... Maybe one of the skater should represent some other country lol...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    There is no point in Plushenko or Joubert competing at this point. If they wish to they can of course, but both had better get used to poor results and floating around as has beens with nothing better to do in that case. Takahashi is the only one of that trio who might have some hope. However he has some major work to do over the summer if he is to continue.
    Joubert is no longer the picture of consistency. Plushy, he already has numeruous WC medals and 3 Olymp medals.... talk about hungry hungry hungry Plushy...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Verner definitely did not deserve the bronze at the 2007 Worlds. He had a fabulous LP but so did Lambiel with much better artistry and spins than Verner. Lambiel had a few mistakes but Verner had a fall too, and both had problems in the short.
    I have to agree with pangtongfan here. Lambiel's debut of Poeta at 2007 Worlds, even with the bobbles, was one of the greatest performances this decade (pity that his SP was such a disaster). Perhaps Art&Sport was thinking of 2009 Worlds?

What an extraordinary competition!! Chan is in a league of his own, but Kozuka is hunting. lol! Well deserved bronze medal. He stepped up while the others faltered. I can't believe Oda. Again he gives his medal away with such a stupid mistake. He should know better by now. I do feel sorry for him though, but one has to learn from mistakes.

BTW, does anyone here remember the when Oda did this sort of mistake before? I mean, which competition? If anyone recalls please tell me

Custom Title
    Oh happy day, oh happy day, when Dai said, he would continue...

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Right you are... but if anybody in skating today personifies that elusive quality "heart" being discussed in another long thread in this forum, it's Dai. That quality makes things possible that otherwise would be out of the question. So count me as another who's happy he will continue. I too was touched that he took the blame for the boot problem on himself.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveFigures View Post
    BTW, does anyone here remember the when Oda did this sort of mistake before? I mean, which competition? If anyone recalls please tell me
    As far as I recall:

2005 Japan Nats - one too many 3Lz (he's already done 3A and 3Lo twice) and he lost the Olympic spot to Daisuke
    2006 Worlds - too many combo
    2007 Worlds - ditto
    2009 Worlds - ditto
    2010 Skate America - ditto and he came second to Daisuke
    2011 Worlds - too many 3T

I do hope he has learnt lessons this time.

ETA: I felt a bit unfair as it may look like I am picking on Nobu, so...

Daisuke's record, as far as I recall

2006 Olympics - His downgraded 4T was registered as 3T according to the rule then, so his second 3Lz became uncounted
    2008 Worlds - too many combo as his second solo 4T was counted as a sequence
    Last edited by mot; 04-28-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Page 55 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast