Page 56 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast

Thread: Men's LP

Custom Title
    Daisuke congratulating Takahiko at backstage; Takahiko asks what happened and Daisuke with smile says the screws came off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD_1m...layer_embedded

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mot View Post
    As far as I recall:

2005 Japan Nats - one too many 3Lz (he's already done 3A and 3Lo twice) and he lost the Olympic spot to Daisuke
    2006 Worlds - too many combo
    2007 Worlds - ditto
    2009 Worlds - ditto
    2010 Skate America - ditto and he came second to Daisuke
    2011 Worlds - too many 3T

I do hope he has learnt lessons this time.
    If not, I'm fully prepared to fundraise in order to hire people to hold up signs saying "Oda, DON'T DO THE 3T/3Lz/etc" around the arena whenever Oda is skating and he's clearly about to Zayak. It's just mind-boggling how many times he's repeated the same mistake, over and over again.

As far as I recall:

2005 Japan Nats - one too many 3Lz (he's already done 3A and 3Lo twice) and he lost the Olympic spot to Daisuke
    2006 Worlds - too many combo
    2007 Worlds - ditto
    2009 Worlds - ditto
    2010 Skate America - ditto and he came second to Daisuke
    2011 Worlds - too many 3T

I do hope he has learnt lessons this time.

ETA: I felt a bit unfair as it may look like I am picking on Nobu, so...

Daisuke's record, as far as I recall

2006 Olympics - His downgraded 4T was registered as 3T according to the rule then, so his second 3Lz became uncounted
    2008 Worlds - too many combo as his second solo 4T was counted as a sequence
    Thank you mot

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    I hope not. Hanyu is still very young only 18 or 19, and still have issue with stigma. Once he grow up a bit and gain more muscle, he can overcome this. Technique wise he is pretty solid and have more eyes catching performance quality than Oda. Definitely on the right track. We don't know if Dai will continue to struggle with injury or if Oda ever learn how to Count... lol
    Actually Hanyu is only 16 y of age. he has PLENTY of time ahead in his career. He will be not even 24 in 2018

Custom Title
    Can someone explain why Gachinski´s SS and TR scores can be even higher than Denis Ten's? Even Tracy Wilson commented that Gachinski was slow in between jumps.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Actually Hanyu is only 16 y of age. he has PLENTY of time ahead in his career. He will be not even 24 in 2018
    WOW really...though he is a little older than 16. Good for him.... Thanks!!

Custom Title
    They say be careful what you wish for because you may get it. I think these were the wishes of the Japanese Men before taking to the ice:

Takahashi: My knee has been the bane of my quads this last two years. I wish for the screw to come out already.

Oda: I have made so many mistake improvising my jump combos. I wish I would stop screwing around and stick to the planned jumps this time no matter what has happened before. (He forgot to wish for his quad and ended up with an extra 3T instead.)

Kozuka: Both Daisuka and Nobu have screwed themselves over and out of the medals. The door is wide open now. I wish to land my first perfect quad of this season and follow it up with a confident and spirited skate.

I've said both Kozuka and Oda had good chances of hitting the most beautiful quads at this Worlds. Kozuka did. If Oda did his quad, there would be no Zayak and his score would have been about 18 points higher. He would have stood on the podium.

My prediction was one Canadian and at least one Japanese, likely two, on the podium. I laughed at jokes and worries about Oda doing an extra combo again but didn't believe it would happen. But the Zayak King found a way again. Sigh.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 04-28-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by beep_beep View Post
    Konspiracy time!!

Amodio was forced to use lyrics because the Russian fed pressured Morozov, so Gachinski would place above him. Same with Oda's three 3T.

This is how Gachinski medalled

(And, please I'm joking, just thought I should warn )
    I didn't like his program, but he landed the jumps and the other that could medal screwed up...
    I have a better one. Russian KGB secretly unscrewed Dai's skate and hit Oda's head with a hammer so that he was unable to count during his skate.

Custom Title
    Thanks mot – that’s part of the difference then in Brezina’s marks, if he landed quads. Per Plushy's directive: Quads = Manhood, and the ISU embarrassed by the quad controversy, gives the quad more points. Quads are just an extra revolution, not always visible to the eye, unless seen in slo-mo. Too bad that extra revolution has caused so much havoc, injuries and controversy for the sport. IMO, the quad does nothing to help the sport and quite a lot to hurt it. Brezina didn't skate badly, but even with quads, I don't see him as a complete skater. His performance lagged at the end, and overall he did not skate better than Fernandez, Dornbush, or Miner, and not even Joubert. Amodio has more style and is more interesting than Brezina, although I didn't care for Amodio's lp (rap vocals are allowed!?). It's quite obvious the judges favor Brezina (no Czech lobby needed). Gachinski’s rough around the edges, but fun to watch and he has that Russian flair. With quad in arsenal and Plushy in the home arena (and Putin no doubt watching closely) the G meister lands in third. All things equal, I doubt that would have been the case if the event had been held in Japan (minus earthquake).

Brian's costume reminds me of Johnny Weir's Dr. Zhivago outfit -- there were lots of Johnny Weir-inspired outfits in this competition. BJ's performance was poignant to watch. Toward the end, it brought me shivers because his performance was full of determination and brio, and one could feel his love for skating and see how hard he has strived to improve his skating. Bravo, Brian, and thank you for gracing this sport.

OTOH, that shot of Speedy sitting next to Scott Hamilton and mimicking the Japanese contingent's effort to tighten the screws in Dai's errant boot, in time for him to get back out on the ice, was priceless -- and not in a good way either.

Love, love Kosuka. He's absolutely a complete skater, and his style on the ice, in my estimation trumps Patrick's, in spite of Patrick's exquisite blade work and quads. Patrick deserved to win of course, but by 22 points -- ridiculous. The points system is ridiculous altogether of course.

Daisuke did not have good luck here, and yes he is getting older, but I wish for him to come back strong next season. Like Brian, Dai's love for the sport and desire to improve is very evident. Oda loves to jump and apparently could jump all day. He's not a complete skater. Maybe he and Kevin Van der Perren should have a jump shoot-out, and Plushy could reward the winner with one of his gold medals.

Miner and Dornbush performed extremely well and should be very proud of their efforts -- they just weren't viewed as having enough rep, and of course lacked the manly quads. I feel for Ryan -- he did not seem to have the energy and excitement he needed -- and maybe the extra time actually did not serve him well. He's worked on his spins, but they are still fairly weak, and he doesn't have great stretch or line in his skating, but kudos to him and his fans. He should be proud of his Nationals win. I suppose the U.S. Fed gambled by leaving better known and talented veteran, Abbott off the team. He did falter in his lp at Nats, and maybe they were afraid he'd run into the same problems at Worlds. However, leaving Abbott off the team was definitely a gamble. If Abbott was on the team and had performed to his capabilities, he might have placed at least 3rd or 4th and salvaged 3 spots. Perhaps the U.S. feels they can regain 3 spots for the men in time for Sochi. Certainly, Dornbush and Miner are as good or better than some of the men who came ahead of them. Oh, but for the demanding quad … and Lysacek’s quadless Olympic win.

Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Patrick deserved to win of course, but by 22 points -- ridiculous. The points system is ridiculous altogether of course.
    Chan won by 22 points mainly because of the short program lead. Kozuka was far behind. The scores are NOT ridiculous, and the standings were absolutely fair.

Custom Title
    Fair enough ILoveFigures, that's your opinion. My opinion differs. I disagree with the scoring in the sp. Patrick deserved first in sp too, obviously, but he was very generously marked. He skated beautifully, and his quads and blade work are amazing. The judges love throwing high marks when a skater delivers like that. I think PChiddy deserved marks in the 80s (based on this errant scoring system) for his sp, but not 93 -- ridiculous, IMHO.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveFigures View Post
    Chan won by 22 points mainly because of the short program lead. Kozuka was far behind. The scores are NOT ridiculous, and the standings were absolutely fair.
    Art&Sport failed to realize Kozuka not only didn't have a Quad in his SP, he also erred on his Triple Axel. These two added together give Chan already a 10 points advantage on the Technical mark and we haven't even counted the Components side from the SP yet. When you add things up, I think Art&Sport forgot to take out a calculator and count before using the overly abused word of "ridiculous" = "when something doesn't go my way, it must be wrong".

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Art&Sport failed to realize Kozuka not only didn't have a Quad in his SP, he also erred on his Triple Axel. These two added together give Chan already a 10 points advantage on the Technical mark and we haven't even counted the Components side from the SP yet. When you add things up, I think Art&Sport forgot to take out a calculator and count before using the overly abused word of "ridiculous" = "when something doesn't go my way, it must be wrong".
    Since there're no falls from Chan for people to criticize, of course, his marks will be the target naturally. I'm just so happy for Chan that this kind of nitpicking doesn't bother me at all.

Banned
    Congrats to Patrick Chan for smashing three world records!!! It's amazing that all people could see is that, he's over marked. That, to me, is very insulting. Give credit where credit's due.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Daisuke congratulating Takahiko at backstage; Takahiko asks what happened and Daisuke with smile says the screws came off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD_1m...layer_embedded
    awww. They are such sweet people. Dai has the best heart, the best personality about everything. I guess they both do. True champions.

Page 56 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast