Men's LP | Page 52 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

^ I think you can try to express the character and structure of the music itself without knowing that it came from a play about a phantom.

For instance, Take Five isn't about anything. To interpret it, just be cool. :cool:

That can be said about any skater and any program. If it's the case, we wouldn't need the interpretation score in the first place. No, it doesn't work this way.
I have to disagree. Interpreting music alone is a part of the orchestra led by the conductor. MM's post on Take 5 is correct.

In Ballet, the City Ballet presents works where music takes the dancers. (Some are good; some are not). In Classical Ballet, there are stories to be followed. (Some are good; some are not). Pick your choice.

In Figure Skating, I would say some skaters can perform to the music alone (Mirai's Carmen) and some require a story (Kat's Carmen). Personally I prefer a skater to bring something original to the music. People have different tastes, and so do judges.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
That can be said about any skater and any program. If it's the case, we wouldn't need the interpretation score in the first place. No, it doesn't work this way.

Have you ever watched Disney's Fantasia and Fantasia 2000? There were some wonderful interpretations for the music itself different from the originals.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Interpreting music alone is a part of the orchestra led by the conductor.
In this case Chan is a genious one- he created the interpretation that suits any music. Just change the tune and skates the same stuff. Yeah, tastes differ.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
In this case Chan is a genious one- he created the interpretation that suits any music. Just change the tune and skates the same stuff. Yeah, tastes differ.

This is non-sense since Chan hasn't explored many of the music repertoire yet.

Many skaters, I think most of the skaters, have their own trade-marks. Lysacek was best at Latin music. Weir was best at slow, beautiful, fantasy music. Chan has his own limitation too.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Have you ever watched Disney's Fantasia and Fantasia 2000? There were some wonderful interpretations for the music itself different from the originals.

yeah who could imagine dancing hippos in tutus dancing with alligators?

or Kossack Mushrooms?

yeah who could imagine dancing hippos in tutus dancing with alligators?

or Kossack Mushrooms?

Actually, I think the the interpretations in Fantasia were pretty literal. The Hippos were "day" and the Alligators were "night" (good and evil) in the Waltz of the Hours. just like in the original opera.

Both the Sorcerer's Apprentice and Night on Bald Mountain stuck quite faithfully to the script. (Although, in the poem by Goethe I think it might have been a peasant lad rather than a mouse that applied for the job of errand boy to the sorcerer. :) )

IIRC the mushrooms were Chinese. The Cossack dancers were thistles. :)

http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/144/681/075/8j27.jpg

THE greatest animated movie of all time! (The 1940 version, that is.) :rock: (Number two, Snow White.)

champs

Final Flight
Many skaters, I think most of the skaters, have their own trade-marks. Lysacek was best at Latin music. Weir was best at slow, beautiful, fantasy music. Chan has his own limitation too.

IIRC the only Latin music piece Lysacek has skated to is Zorro OSTs in his short program some years ago, and I don't think it was that great. His free program to Tosca in the same season was better and he performed better too in the freeskate.

Bringing Chan into this thread along with hippos and aligators is kind of off the wall. Chan, when he is on is the present day Musical Skater. If you can't feel what he is feeling whether there is a story or not, then you may have limited tastes.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Bringing Chan into this thread along with hippos and aligators is kind of off the wall. Chan, when he is on is the present day Musical Skater. If you can't feel what he is feeling whether there is a story or not, then you may have limited tastes.

:sheesh:

:mad:

:disapp:

Ravensque

On the Ice
ITA.......Patrick feels the music, and interprets it beautifully.....and he has the skills to do anything justice.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Not sure what you mean by "Latin" here.

When I said "Latin", it was an idea in my mind in a loose term and region. I was thinking about Lysacek's bull-fighter costume, his España Cañí by Pascual Marquina short program which he's used for four years, and his Carmen role. Your question made me go to search for it. Then I've gotten these info below which just fit my original meaning. So here they are:

Latin America is a region of the Americas where Romance languages (i.e., those derived from Latin) – particularly Spanish and Portuguese, and variably French – are primarily spoken.

Latin Europe is a loose term for the region of Europe with an especially strong Latin (Graeco-Roman) cultural heritage inherited from the Roman Empire. The term has been used by some authors like Rogelio Pérez-Perdomo and Lawrence Friedman. Geographically anchored in Southern Europe, the countries using a Romance language (or one with a large Romance lexical input), that are also predominantly Roman Catholic, are considered culturally Latin by Pérez-Perdomo and Friedman.

Many such countries have status within the Latin Union. There is no clear definition on which countries or areas are included, but Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, southern Belgium and most of their culturally related European Microstates always or nearly always are.

:sheesh:

:mad:

:disapp:
I do believe there should be a thread in listing who are the present day musical skaters. We often have a thread on what music is going to be used by skaters, but never really a thread on who is really musical. I believe following the guidelines in Ice Dance, will be of assistance, and following Dance performers off the ice as well.

Personally I am not all that interested in Tricks with long preparations to be executed. That's not being musical, and I believe what I see in competitions is that Tricks are most important and musicality is lightly touched upon, although when a skater shows strong musicality, he/she is a winner. The Tricks are Steps in time with the music. Patrick has a way to go yet, but at present, he is the most musical skater in present day competition. JMO

let`s talk

Match Penalty
When I said "Latin", it was an idea in my mind in a loose term and region. I was thinking about Lysacek's bull-fighter costume, his España Cañí by Pascual Marquina short program which he's used for four years, and his Carmen role. Your question made me go to search for it. Then I've gotten these info below which just fit my original meaning. So here they are:

Latin America is a region of the Americas where Romance languages (i.e., those derived from Latin) – particularly Spanish and Portuguese, and variably French – are primarily spoken.

Latin Europe is a loose term for the region of Europe with an especially strong Latin (Graeco-Roman) cultural heritage inherited from the Roman Empire. The term has been used by some authors like Rogelio Pérez-Perdomo and Lawrence Friedman. Geographically anchored in Southern Europe, the countries using a Romance language (or one with a large Romance lexical input), that are also predominantly Roman Catholic, are considered culturally Latin by Pérez-Perdomo and Friedman.

Many such countries have status within the Latin Union. There is no clear definition on which countries or areas are included, but Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, southern Belgium and most of their culturally related European Microstates always or nearly always are.

Thanks a lot. Now I know that French music is Latin music.