Pairs Short Program | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Pairs Short Program

gold12345

Medalist
Considering only half their elements were solid tonight I would say they should be happy with a score in the mid 60s. I do think it is a changing of the gaurd though but neccessarily due to politics. Just that K/S probably cant match the technical ability and consistency level of V/T already, and V/T have alot more improvement ahead as far as choreography and overall presentation than K/S do.

I agree.. This isn't ice dance, it's not politics... There are better teams out there than K/S... And when K/S don't skate their best, they aren't going to score great. I used to think K/S always got overscored, and now their scores make more sense to me.

alithia

Final Flight
The guard has already changed at Russian Nationals but I saw this one more like a "you can't make mistakes and be ahead of B/L anymore " kind of thing.B/L

bsfan

On the Ice
I agree.. This isn't ice dance, it's not politics... There are better teams out there than K/S... And when K/S don't skate their best, they aren't going to score great. I used to think K/S always got overscored, and now their scores make more sense to me.

I don't think K/S were held up by politics. They did have many good skates in the past, esp. short programs. If we are talking about been held up, I can think of many teams, S/S, Chinese team #1 whoever was/is... If K/S were held up, it wasn't out of scope compared to others.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I think K/S's mark is fair for what they turned out. For a fall and scrappy step sequence after it, they done well to get 62.5. If they had gone clean they would be right in the mix. They still have the best free programme by a long way, it's about them skating for themselves now, a medal if out of their control as things stand. I doubt B/L were thinking they would be skating in the last group.

On the whole a great nights skating all the way down the field. Was really impressed by the Japanese, the Italians, Y/C and D/R. I'm really glad the Czechs made the free, they have had a pretty good season. Disappointing for K/K not to make the free but unless they up the technical content they are going to struggle in the future.

Hopefully tomorrow night is as good but in the last few seasons I feel that the free skating has been error filled and ultimately dissapointing.

smia

Rinkside
I wonder if K/S will retire after this season. They're a decent pair but not really improving.

Volosozhar/Trankov could be the first pair in a long time to medal in their first season together. Just a shame they didn't team up four years ago, 24/27 is rather late. However, they're very talented and have made a lot of progress in one year. I'd like to see them with less overused music next year.

I'm glad that Takahashi/Tran had a solid performance. She's been really inconsistent but they're a very elegant pair.

Pang, Bazarova, and Kavaguti's skeletalness makes it hard for me to enjoy their programs. Maybe they're that skinny naturally but their positions just don't look attractive.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
injured, and did not compete this season.

Yeah but who really thinks they will be back. They are clearly past their prime, and even if P/T retire then Sui & Han who are eligible for Worlds would be taking over as new Chinese #1. And the delay in Worlds should have given them enough time to be ready to skate given that it was just a broken finger and they were reportedly on the ice months ago. You will probably see them return to skating, but in shows in Asia.

mousepotato

On the Ice
The guard has already changed at Russian Nationals but I saw this one more like a "you can't make mistakes and be ahead of B/L anymore " kind of thing.B/L

LOL, if you look at the protocols it was the fall that hurt them, real bad. They only got a level 3 and -3 GOE also a deduction for the fall NOT TO MENTION the skating skills were dinged as well. Smirnov knew he was going to get hit hard for it that is what he reacted the way he did. They are very close to B/L even with the fall and will end up ahead of them after the free. It's not judging, it's skating.

mousepotato

On the Ice
I don't think K/S were held up by politics. They did have many good skates in the past, esp. short programs. If we are talking about been held up, I can think of many teams, S/S, Chinese team #1 whoever was/is... If K/S were held up, it wasn't out of scope compared to others.

I agree

SP

Worlds 2007 - 4th - first worlds
Worlds 2008 - 3rd
Worlds 2009 - 2nd
Worlds 2010 - 2nd
Worlds 2011 - 5th - bad fall

I would say Duhamel/Radford made a statement in that SP, and I am looking forward to the LP.

The results so far are fine with me, Pang/Tong continue their lyrical while Savchenko/Solkowsky continue the bravado. Two brilliant opposing styles make a decision difficult on which one team is the better. If they continue to be brilliant in the LP, then it will be the opinions of the judges in the PCs and not the tech scores.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I didn't get to see but the last 2 groups of Pairs but I read that Eric was hurting so badly from the broken nose that he teared up and couldn't see going into the jump!

A hockey player would have stopped and called for penalty.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Pang/Tong they were spot on brilliant, loved the way they skated their program today, everything was clean, crisp and fresh.
I have watched their video at least 6 times already. Aliona/Robin and Vera/Yuri were great too. Outstanding skating from the top three.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Now it seems that they have to see if he can actually compete in the LP until after they practice. He's going to be really sore and will probably have a couple of black eyes and facial swelling too............Fingers x'd, cause I'd sure hate to see their World's end in withdrawal........

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Now it seems that they have to see if he can actually compete in the LP until after they practice. He's going to be really sore and will probably have a couple of black eyes and facial swelling too............Fingers x'd, cause I'd sure hate to see their World's end in withdrawal........

Is this just what you think or did someone from SC or one of the partners actually say this?

beep_beep

Medalist
Meagan Duhamel gets some gutsy partners doesn't she? :)
First Buntin (hand slash during the FS at TEB 2009) now Radford.

I really like both partnerships and thought it was such a shame she and Buntin didn't get to go to the Olympics.

Thought it went really well today, and I really really hope that Eric can skate tomorrow.

feraina

Record Breaker
Has a youtube video of Pang/Tong's short gone up yet? It sounds absolutely magical :D

Yeah, it's up on Youtube now.

Pang & Tong are rock stars! They were sublime in that SP. By far the best they've skated all season. :rock:

They're both 31! To put into context, Pang is older than all Olympics ladies medalists from 1998 aside from Chen Lu (34) and Irina Slutskaya (32), and older than all Worlds medalists in in that time other than those two and Maria Butyrskaya 38, and older than all currently competing singles, pairs, and dance ladies...

To still be at the top of their sport at this advanced age, that is really phenomenal! I really hope they go out this year with a bang, and leave with fond memories. :cheer:

To everyone who is concerned about Pang's diet, obviously she's eating healthily. Someone with a bad diet can't possibly skate at this year after year, and still be doing so well at 31. She's obviously just built that way.