Pairs - Long Program | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Pairs - Long Program

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Okay, one more question: Ukranian men, what are you doing?

LOL, it really does make you wonder. Ukraine has produced two more than competent female pair skaters (Savchenko and Volosozhar) who are skating for other countries besides Ukraine. Ukranian male pair skaters have a lot of work to do...

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I think the results were correct.
S/S were absolutely ON and their program is more complex, with higher base value. V/T are very good, but their program isn't anything special. But next year....they are already amazing.

Yes, but V/T had higher GOE than S/S which I think it's unfair...V/T were gorgeous, but not on the same level as S/S yet, neither are their programs but anyway I like the podium very much

kensal

Rinkside
Impressive for Russia so far. Another discipline with debut performance winning the medal.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I also am giving a Stading "O" for Tatiana and Maxim. Yeah baby! They suffered enough in the last 4 years with all those failures.

Yes, they have paid their dues. I am very happy for them. Together for so short a time, and look what they can do! Absolutely thrilled.

I like the podium. I'm a long-time fan of Pang and Tong, and I was really pulling for V&T.

As to S&S, for a while, I thought that Robin was carrying too much weight on his chest, and that it was making him miss his SBS jumps by pulling him forward, but then he got rid of that weight, and started landing his jumps again; I was proud of him for that. Aliona has the most marvelous build, like that of the best trapeze artists in the circus, very, very athletic and compact, so she can do every move cleanly. This allows S&S to accomplish moves of considerable intricacy and difficulty. I respect her athleticism very, very much, and I think that team's success is mostly due to it. I do appreciate why S&S deserved such high marks. It's just that my taste runs more to the Russian school of pairs figure skating, as expressed by the legendary Protopopovs, by Gordeeva & Grinkov, and by Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
LOL, it really does make you wonder. Ukraine has produced two more than competent female pair skaters (Savchenko and Volosozhar) who are skating for other countries besides Ukraine. Ukranian male pair skaters have a lot of work to do...

The Ukrainian Skating Federation needs to do something with its men. At one time, Galina Efremenko was a pairs skater, but her partner sliced her head with his blade during a camel, so she switched to singles. I think she would've been a better pairs skater.

The same with ice dance. I always thought Gruschina was better than Goncharov.

The last two great Ukrainian male skaters were Petrenko and Platov--and they didn't skate singles.

Also, with regards to S/S' moves--they're not that new. V/V, B/P, M/D and K/D all had innovative transitions.

Last edited:

tdnuva

On the Ice
Impressive for Russia so far. Another discipline with debut performance winning the medal.

Well - even though several people would not like to hear that - but you remember where the competition is taking place?

Did not have the time yet to check Gachinski's free, but his short was not medal worthy imho. His (body!!) lines are so bad I wonder if he ever saw a ballet teacher (especially in a country with such a tradition). So I really would say, homeground has had its effects up to now. V&T were second best, no question, but that does not mean that everything is fabulous, the audience helped for sure.

And I wonder how the mood will be at the pairs medal ceremony when the winners are announced...

lavender

Record Breaker
Yay podium. So happy for S/S. Was there anyone else rooting for them to win but me. I like P/T and V/T so I'm happy with the podium.

Happy for Y/C. Hopefully they will continue improving and move up the rankings. Not my favorite long and they admit they were trying something different so I don't mind.

I love Russian pair skaters like Gordeeva & Grinkov and Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze but there's room for S/S who I find to be pretty creative.

Last edited:

kensal

Rinkside
Well - even though several people would not like to hear that - but you remember where the competition is taking place?

Did not have the time yet to check Gachinski's free, but his short was not medal worthy imho. His (body!!) lines are so bad I wonder if he ever saw a ballet teacher (especially in a country with such a tradition). So I really would say, homeground has had its effects up to now. V&T were second best, no question, but that does not mean that everything is fabulous, the audience helped for sure.

And I wonder how the mood will be at the pairs medal ceremony when the winners are announced...

Well, I am watching medal ceremony and mood is fine. Of course, anywhere you go, home crowd always greet their skaters harder.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Yes, they have paid their dues. I am very happy for them. Together for so short a time, and look what they can do! Absolutely thrilled.

I like the podium. I'm a long-time fan of Pang and Tong, and I was really pulling for V&T.

As to S&S, for a while, I thought that Robin was carrying too much weight on his chest, and that it was making him miss his SBS jumps by pulling him forward, but then he got rid of that weight, and started landing his jumps again; I was proud of him for that. Aliona has the most marvelous build, like that of the best trapeze artists in the circus, very, very athletic and compact, so she can do every move cleanly. This allows S&S to accomplish moves of considerable intricacy and difficulty. I respect her athleticism very, very much, and I think that team's success is mostly due to it. I do appreciate why S&S deserved such high marks. It's just that my taste runs more to the Russian school of pairs figure skating, as expressed by the legendary Protopopovs, by Gordeeva & Grinkov, and by Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze.

I could not agree more. In terms of artistry, I thought S/S were moving in the right direction with their Out of Africa LP last season. But with their choice of music from Pink Panther, I am beginning to think I was wrong.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Wow, what a competition! I'm 100% agree with the podium and happy for all of the medalist! S/S totally deserve the gold this time! V/T were just wonderful although they seemed lost some steam at the end, the pair spin was very slow. But still, well deserved silver! Pang/Tong did a very good job too, such beautifully skated program, pity for the jumps. All in all, this is the best compition for a while! I'm rooting for V/T for the next couple of years:)

I love the young German team, the Italian team and the American team (the girl that was in Aliona's dress) and the Japanese girl, all so elegant and smooth. The Canadian team did a respectable job. A happy day in general.

Last edited:

aniela

On the Ice
I could not agree more. In terms of artistry, I thought S/S were moving in the right direction with their Out of Africa LP last season. But with their choice of music from Pink Panther, I am beginning to think I was wrong.
well, I actually like the fact that they're trying new things every season.

Ilvskating

Final Flight

Same here, Out of Africa was the first program from S/S that I love. I don't like the music choices of this year but they performed well. So they still deserve to win.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I hope this isnt the last Worlds for Pang & Tong. I would like to see them go on a better note than this. Even if they take a break I hope they return.

I also hope we see Kavaguti & Smirnov come back. They might feel demoralized now but they havent really given themselves a chance against Volosozhar & Trankov skating cleanly. They should atleast wait until they can do that before making a decision.

It looks like V&T vs S&S will probably be the main rivalry for gold from now until Sochi though.

If P&T and K&S retire we could see alot of up and comers in the fight for a bronze medal next year.

Art&Sport

Medalist
well, I actually like the fact that they're trying new things every season.

Definitely agree with you aniela -- S&S never rest on their laurels, they challenge themselves and are very hard on themselves and always set high standards to reach. I also may not agree with all their choices, but their approach to pairs has been unique and innovative and not always in line with the gorgeous Russian style many seem to feel is the only standard. I'll bet if you ask unbiased fs insiders, they will acknowledge the contributions S&S and their coach have brought to pairs. This takes nothing away from what pairs of the past brought -- so what that past great pairs had wonderful moves and transitions. What S&S and S have done is unique, and has been copied by many other pairs, which is the highest compliment. Those who can't see that, oh well.

I too love that V&T have been successful in sticking with it, continuing to work hard, learning from their failures, overcoming hardships, and have achieved what is a great victory for them here.

oleada

Record Breaker
Definitely agree with you aniela -- S&S never rest on their laurels, they challenge themselves and are very hard on themselves and always set high standards to reach. I also may not agree with all their choices, but their approach to pairs has been unique and innovative and not always in line with the gorgeous Russian style many seem to feel is the only standard. I'll bet if you ask unbiased fs insiders, they will acknowledge the contributions S&S and their coach have brought to pairs. This takes nothing away from what pairs of the past brought -- so what that past great pairs had wonderful moves and transitions. What S&S and S have done is unique, and has been copied by many other pairs, which is the highest compliment. Those who can't see that, oh well.

I too love that V&T have been successful in sticking with it, continuing to work hard, learning from their failures, overcoming hardships, and have achieved what is a great victory for them here.

Absolutely spot on. I think S/S are innovative, trend-setters, incredibly hard workers who have really changed the pairs discipline. I absolutely love them, and I'm usually a sucker for the uber balletic, classical type skaters.

tdnuva

On the Ice
Absolutely spot on. I think S/S are innovative, trend-setters, incredibly hard workers who have really changed the pairs discipline. I absolutely love them, and I'm usually a sucker for the uber balletic, classical type skaters.

You know what - for me they are really skating PAIRS - and not twin single or something. They relate to each other without being too romantic all the time. There were scenes when one of them doubled a triple and the other went with it instantly instead of going on blindly. Same with body lines. Sadly in spins this does not work (probably due to the speed).

Plus they included elements and techniques from dance - I have seen a lot of dancers doing much worse twizzles than S&S.