Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Pairs - Long Program

Custom Title
    Two events down. Two more left! Ladies bring your claws out..... Meoooowwwww LOL

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    A Well deserve Silver for V/T!! They are the only team that match S/S TES in term of base value. I like their performance better than S/S. It looks more powerful!! If wouldn't for a little turnout on the 3T from Maxim, they can almost match S/S score.
    You see, that's not actually true. The difference in BV was actually 3.08 in favour of the Germans. V/T were scored quite highly in GOEs (and deservingly) but they weren't technically much stronger than the Germans. S/S were just on. I wasn't the biggest fan of this program, but they sold it very well. Next season, with more growth and "pairness", V/T will be ... amazing.

Custom Title
    V&T are lovely to watch (love their Johnny-Weir inspired costumes ) -- their Russian-style is gorgeous, but no, they are not clearly the best in this competition. Watch closely and you should be able to see how they too incorporate moves innovated by S&S and S.

Medalist
    Man it was thrilling to do "YYYEAAAAHH!!" together with Russian people at every V/T jump and twist!! this is figure skating ladies and gentlemen!

Custom Title
    I think the results were correct.
    S/S were absolutely ON and their program is more complex, with higher base value. V/T are very good, but their program isn't anything special. But next year....they are already amazing.

Meanwhile in a parallel universe .... theresa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Okay, one more question: Ukranian men, what are you doing?
    LOL, it really does make you wonder. Ukraine has produced two more than competent female pair skaters (Savchenko and Volosozhar) who are skating for other countries besides Ukraine. Ukranian male pair skaters have a lot of work to do...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I think the results were correct.
    S/S were absolutely ON and their program is more complex, with higher base value. V/T are very good, but their program isn't anything special. But next year....they are already amazing.
    Yes, but V/T had higher GOE than S/S which I think it's unfair...V/T were gorgeous, but not on the same level as S/S yet, neither are their programs but anyway I like the podium very much

Tripping on the Podium
    Impressive for Russia so far. Another discipline with debut performance winning the medal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    I also am giving a Stading "O" for Tatiana and Maxim. Yeah baby! They suffered enough in the last 4 years with all those failures.
    Yes, they have paid their dues. I am very happy for them. Together for so short a time, and look what they can do! Absolutely thrilled.

I like the podium. I'm a long-time fan of Pang and Tong, and I was really pulling for V&T.

As to S&S, for a while, I thought that Robin was carrying too much weight on his chest, and that it was making him miss his SBS jumps by pulling him forward, but then he got rid of that weight, and started landing his jumps again; I was proud of him for that. Aliona has the most marvelous build, like that of the best trapeze artists in the circus, very, very athletic and compact, so she can do every move cleanly. This allows S&S to accomplish moves of considerable intricacy and difficulty. I respect her athleticism very, very much, and I think that team's success is mostly due to it. I do appreciate why S&S deserved such high marks. It's just that my taste runs more to the Russian school of pairs figure skating, as expressed by the legendary Protopopovs, by Gordeeva & Grinkov, and by Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    LOL, it really does make you wonder. Ukraine has produced two more than competent female pair skaters (Savchenko and Volosozhar) who are skating for other countries besides Ukraine. Ukranian male pair skaters have a lot of work to do...
    The Ukrainian Skating Federation needs to do something with its men. At one time, Galina Efremenko was a pairs skater, but her partner sliced her head with his blade during a camel, so she switched to singles. I think she would've been a better pairs skater.

The same with ice dance. I always thought Gruschina was better than Goncharov.

The last two great Ukrainian male skaters were Petrenko and Platov--and they didn't skate singles.

Also, with regards to S/S' moves--they're not that new. V/V, B/P, M/D and K/D all had innovative transitions.
    Last edited by blue dog; 04-28-2011 at 12:06 PM.

In the void
    Quote Originally Posted by kensal View Post
    Impressive for Russia so far. Another discipline with debut performance winning the medal.
    Well - even though several people would not like to hear that - but you remember where the competition is taking place?

Did not have the time yet to check Gachinski's free, but his short was not medal worthy imho. His (body!!) lines are so bad I wonder if he ever saw a ballet teacher (especially in a country with such a tradition). So I really would say, homeground has had its effects up to now. V&T were second best, no question, but that does not mean that everything is fabulous, the audience helped for sure.

And I wonder how the mood will be at the pairs medal ceremony when the winners are announced...

Custom Title
    Yay podium. So happy for S/S. Was there anyone else rooting for them to win but me. I like P/T and V/T so I'm happy with the podium.

Happy for Y/C. Hopefully they will continue improving and move up the rankings. Not my favorite long and they admit they were trying something different so I don't mind.

I love Russian pair skaters like Gordeeva & Grinkov and Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze but there's room for S/S who I find to be pretty creative.
    Last edited by lavender; 04-28-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by tdnuva View Post
    Well - even though several people would not like to hear that - but you remember where the competition is taking place?

Did not have the time yet to check Gachinski's free, but his short was not medal worthy imho. His (body!!) lines are so bad I wonder if he ever saw a ballet teacher (especially in a country with such a tradition). So I really would say, homeground has had its effects up to now. V&T were second best, no question, but that does not mean that everything is fabulous, the audience helped for sure.

And I wonder how the mood will be at the pairs medal ceremony when the winners are announced...
    Well, I am watching medal ceremony and mood is fine. Of course, anywhere you go, home crowd always greet their skaters harder.

Meanwhile in a parallel universe .... theresa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodhiyel View Post
    Yes, they have paid their dues. I am very happy for them. Together for so short a time, and look what they can do! Absolutely thrilled.

I like the podium. I'm a long-time fan of Pang and Tong, and I was really pulling for V&T.

As to S&S, for a while, I thought that Robin was carrying too much weight on his chest, and that it was making him miss his SBS jumps by pulling him forward, but then he got rid of that weight, and started landing his jumps again; I was proud of him for that. Aliona has the most marvelous build, like that of the best trapeze artists in the circus, very, very athletic and compact, so she can do every move cleanly. This allows S&S to accomplish moves of considerable intricacy and difficulty. I respect her athleticism very, very much, and I think that team's success is mostly due to it. I do appreciate why S&S deserved such high marks. It's just that my taste runs more to the Russian school of pairs figure skating, as expressed by the legendary Protopopovs, by Gordeeva & Grinkov, and by Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze.
    I could not agree more. In terms of artistry, I thought S/S were moving in the right direction with their Out of Africa LP last season. But with their choice of music from Pink Panther, I am beginning to think I was wrong.

Custom Title
    Wow, what a competition! I'm 100% agree with the podium and happy for all of the medalist! S/S totally deserve the gold this time! V/T were just wonderful although they seemed lost some steam at the end, the pair spin was very slow. But still, well deserved silver! Pang/Tong did a very good job too, such beautifully skated program, pity for the jumps. All in all, this is the best compition for a while! I'm rooting for V/T for the next couple of years

I love the young German team, the Italian team and the American team (the girl that was in Aliona's dress) and the Japanese girl, all so elegant and smooth. The Canadian team did a respectable job. A happy day in general.
    Last edited by Ilvskating; 04-28-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast