Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Pairs - Long Program

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kensal View Post
    Well, I am watching medal ceremony and mood is fine. Of course, anywhere you go, home crowd always greet their skaters harder.
    How true. Thank you, kensal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    I could not agree more. In terms of artistry, I thought S/S were moving in the right direction with their Out of Africa LP last season. But with their choice of music from Pink Panther, I am beginning to think I was wrong.
    well, I actually like the fact that they're trying new things every season.

Custom Title
    EuroSport ENG version.
    Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY GER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsxl_FPZLvo
    Last edited by bibi24; 04-28-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    I could not agree more. In terms of artistry, I thought S/S were moving in the right direction with their Out of Africa LP last season. But with their choice of music from Pink Panther, I am beginning to think I was wrong.
    Same here, Out of Africa was the first program from S/S that I love. I don't like the music choices of this year but they performed well. So they still deserve to win.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Okay, one more question: Ukranian men, what are you doing?
    they get...fat, like Stan Morozov did

At least he can be proud that he prepared the top two ladies in the world of pair skating for glory

Banned
    I hope this isnt the last Worlds for Pang & Tong. I would like to see them go on a better note than this. Even if they take a break I hope they return.

I also hope we see Kavaguti & Smirnov come back. They might feel demoralized now but they havent really given themselves a chance against Volosozhar & Trankov skating cleanly. They should atleast wait until they can do that before making a decision.

It looks like V&T vs S&S will probably be the main rivalry for gold from now until Sochi though.

If P&T and K&S retire we could see alot of up and comers in the fight for a bronze medal next year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aniela View Post
    well, I actually like the fact that they're trying new things every season.
    Definitely agree with you aniela -- S&S never rest on their laurels, they challenge themselves and are very hard on themselves and always set high standards to reach. I also may not agree with all their choices, but their approach to pairs has been unique and innovative and not always in line with the gorgeous Russian style many seem to feel is the only standard. I'll bet if you ask unbiased fs insiders, they will acknowledge the contributions S&S and their coach have brought to pairs. This takes nothing away from what pairs of the past brought -- so what that past great pairs had wonderful moves and transitions. What S&S and S have done is unique, and has been copied by many other pairs, which is the highest compliment. Those who can't see that, oh well.

I too love that V&T have been successful in sticking with it, continuing to work hard, learning from their failures, overcoming hardships, and have achieved what is a great victory for them here.

Tripping on the Podium
    I thought that S/S were also considering retirement? Mainly because of Robin?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Definitely agree with you aniela -- S&S never rest on their laurels, they challenge themselves and are very hard on themselves and always set high standards to reach. I also may not agree with all their choices, but their approach to pairs has been unique and innovative and not always in line with the gorgeous Russian style many seem to feel is the only standard. I'll bet if you ask unbiased fs insiders, they will acknowledge the contributions S&S and their coach have brought to pairs. This takes nothing away from what pairs of the past brought -- so what that past great pairs had wonderful moves and transitions. What S&S and S have done is unique, and has been copied by many other pairs, which is the highest compliment. Those who can't see that, oh well.

I too love that V&T have been successful in sticking with it, continuing to work hard, learning from their failures, overcoming hardships, and have achieved what is a great victory for them here.
    Absolutely spot on. I think S/S are innovative, trend-setters, incredibly hard workers who have really changed the pairs discipline. I absolutely love them, and I'm usually a sucker for the uber balletic, classical type skaters.

In the void
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Absolutely spot on. I think S/S are innovative, trend-setters, incredibly hard workers who have really changed the pairs discipline. I absolutely love them, and I'm usually a sucker for the uber balletic, classical type skaters.
    You know what - for me they are really skating PAIRS - and not twin single or something. They relate to each other without being too romantic all the time. There were scenes when one of them doubled a triple and the other went with it instantly instead of going on blindly. Same with body lines. Sadly in spins this does not work (probably due to the speed).

Plus they included elements and techniques from dance - I have seen a lot of dancers doing much worse twizzles than S&S.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kensal View Post
    I thought that S/S were also considering retirement? Mainly because of Robin?
    No they arent. They were firm after last years Worlds they wanted to go to Sochi to try and do better than they did in Vancouver.

Custom Title
    Cheers, oleada. I appreciate your post... and your post as well tdnuva!

It's not always easy to view figure skating without blinders on and without being politically-biased. It is obviously also very subjective, but anyone who has followed fs for a long time and are unbiased in their viewpoints must surely see and appreciate what S&S bring. Re the poster who spoke about Robin needing to lose weight -- sure I think most athletes struggle to stay fit and injury-free, and the older you are the more of a challenge that can be. However, Robin and Aliona are a pair who are equally matched and who equally contribute to the success of their team, along with their coach. All three achieved this success together in equal measure, make no mistake about that. Ask them if you doubt what I have to say.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    EuroSport ENG version.
    Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY GER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsxl_FPZLvo
    thank you for uploading!

Medalist
    So thrilled for Tatiana/Max. I wasn't sure they would medal immediately. Promising pairs often fall apart at their first Worlds. A silver is just incredible. I'm just so so happy. It's been obvious for a long time that they're both superb skaters but they were never going to realize their potential with their previous partners. I'm so glad they're finally together and showing what they're capable of.

I much preferred Out of Africa but I have to admire Aliona/Robin for being brave enough to experiment so much. A lot of pairs just do the same type of program and music every year which is fine but I respect them less.

Wonderful program for Kavaguti/Smirnov. Even with the fall it was lovely.

Yankowskas/Coughlin were sublime, the first time in a long time that I've been this impressed by an American pair.

I'm glad Takahashi/Tran made the top ten. They had some problems but that shouldn't take away from their wonderful polish and style.

Rogue Leader
    Lavender, I was also pulling for S&S. I loved this year's FD. They always do something new and have brought great, innovative moves to the table. I'm thrilled with the entire podium. It was a great day for pairs skating.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast