Ladies - Short Program | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, Yuna got +1.29 GOE for her layback while Miki got +0.71 GOE for hers. So yea, relatively speaking, I think this makes sense. HOWEVER, I do agree with you that the comparisons don't make sense if we compare Yuna and Miki with Alissa. Alissa deserves like +5 for her layback if the judging system was more fair.

I don't Yuna's spins are that much better than Miki's though.

I could comment on each and everyone of them, but I will generalize on the competitors in the last two Groups.

Miki skated the best of the lot, Clean on all required elements; and yes, she is lyrical.
Alissa skates the same as she did in the GPs. Lovely, but very methodical. the hand down didn't help.
Mao - a good skate, but the 2ft landing on the 3A didn't help. I thought she was underscored overall.
Yuna - It was not her best. No excitement, and the stepout didn't help. Reputation played here.

Kostner - So lovely but she is not exempt from Falling. Some skaters are but not her.
Makarova - The Russians are looking for a podium finish. Take her seriously.
Leonova - She a grown woman now, the cutsey shouldn't work and it is not half as good a Murakami.

prettykeys

Medalist
I enjoyed Alissa's SP a lot and thought she could be placed a few spots higher. I feel bad that Mao was dropped so harshly...I expected a higher score for her, myself.

But. I am just over the moon for YuNa! :biggrin: :biggrin: She was very nervous going into her 3-3. She looked far more tentative and a little slower than usual.

YuNa's performance today was not her greatest and the program itself is largely forgettable. Miki's SP was lovely. But - choreographically, Miki's program is slow and pleasant and also forgettable, plus she frontloads her jumps.

Yay, it's off to the LP for the final fight!

herro

On the Ice
I'm sorry, but all the judges should be dismissed for this. Immediately.

The judging needs to be on a more relative scale. Now, they just see each element and assign GOEs as each skater performs their elements, but the judges need to keep in mind that scores need to be relatively comparable... Yuna's GOEs make sense (IMO) when we compare them to Miki (which I guess makes sense from a judging standpoint because they are the main competitors for the gold here...), but BOTH Yuna's and Miki's scores do not make sense if we compare their GOEs to some of the other skaters.

lavender

Record Breaker
They really need to adress some things. COP, COP...just don't get it if Alissa gets a lesser score for spins, layback vs Yu na. I like mostly everything about Yu na but those things and her foot positions. There is just no way those scores should be close. Alissa is definitely underscored.

I agree alexeifan. I think her coaches should seriously bring this to light.

herro

On the Ice
I don't Yuna's spins are that much better than Miki's though.

I mean, yea her spins aren't fantastic, but I think the difference in spin qualities between Yuna and Miki warrant the 0.31 GOE difference between them (again only comparing these two skaters in isolation).

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Yu-Na deservedly got negative GOE on her opening lutz across the board, all -2 and two -3 (with just one negative one). Ironically, the reduced factoring of GOE helped her here because the error would have cost her like -2.1 last year if my math is correct? and it cost her -1.50 here. and that gave her the lead over Miki. Otherwise Miki would've won

Very good point. But at the same time, Kim lost out on an even bigger +GOE on her other elements, especially the jumps. Her jumps are as huge and cover that massive gulf they always did, she deservedly gets good +GOE on them, but it's converted to less of a point advantage with the reduced factoring. Her spins are fast, crisp and controlled (whereas Miki's spins are a bit wobbly). While Miki really elevated her presentation, Yuna is projecting as hard as ever and her basic skating is better than Miki's.

I looked at the protocols, and I really don't have a problem with the scores as they are. Yuna's base values are 28.5 to Miki's 28.7. A stepout on a jump is supposed to get -2 to -3, which converts to a -1.4 to -2.1. However, judges are supposed to start with the positive GOE first, then do the subtractions to end with the final GOE. Yuna's 3lutz was fully rotated and more massive than ever before the stepout (maybe its size was the reason she stepped out). The judges still gave her more than -2 on the element, resulting in a -1.5 point loss. Her PCS deserves to be higher than Miki. And when you put it all together, she's in first by a hair. It's completely consistent with the rules.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They really need to adress some things. COP, COP...just don't get it if Alissa gets a lesser score for spins, layback vs Yu na. I like mostly everything about Yu na but those things and her foot positions. There is just no way those scores should be close. Alissa is definitely underscored.

Granted Alissa lost a few points with the wacky flip and a Level 2 step sequence. However, if Yuna gets all these +3 on her spins, Alissa should have had even more, that would've boosted her score by at least 2 points, putting her ahead of Ksenia.

burntBREAD

Medalist
She's gotten level 2s this year because she didn't meet all the requirements, this probably happened here.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I honestly don't see what the huge debate is here.

Yuna did a solo triple lutz which received deductions, and a triple flip double toe combination which was executed well.

Her Triple Lutz did not receive enough of a deduction and her spins were overscored.

daniel1406

Rinkside
Yuna stepped out on her lutz... really interesting(too bad for her tho).
I think it was her first time she messed up on the first jumps.
But she did good really.
so she did
her 3Lz (with step out - better than falling on her jump XD)
3F+2T
2A
and rest of her components and they were AWESOME.
Miki did great too but not as good as Yuna(jumps except her 3Lz, all of spins, step sequence, speed and choreography).
Some of u guys saying that Miki should've got 1st place, but I actually expected Yuna to get 36ish(ah well my personal thought).

But anyway, free skating will be really interesting. I wanna see whether Miki can lead on her FS (she's so constant in this season so if Yuna makes some mistakes, Y not ?)
oh btw, I feel sorry for Mao... what the hell is happened to her? she's like so thin, no confidence and I could see she got tired during her SP. :(

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm sorry, I love Yuna -- but she did not have the same attack she usually does. She was definitely gifted on the spins and they were way higher, even when considering them next to Miki's

Layback = .49 vs 1.29
Flying sit spin = .79 vs .71
Combo sin = .5 vs 1.14

Yuna's should be higher but not by that much. And the gap Miki does have on the flying sit spin should be a little higher..