Ladies - Short Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program

janetfan

Match Penalty
I am waiting to see how the quiet and partisan Russian crowd reacts to Kanako tomorrow. :think:

If she can't shake them out of their stupor with her SP tomorrow then no one can. ;)

Layfan

Record Breaker
As usual Yu Na Kim's competition to win or lose. If she skates a clean short program she will probably open up a mammoth 2 fall or more lead on the rest.

I still think worlds as your first competition is a tall order though. Even for the great Yuna.

Shlepa

Rinkside
I am waiting to see how the quiet and partisan Russian crowd reacts to Kanako tomorrow. :think:

If she can't shake them out of their stupor with her SP tomorrow then no one can. ;)

You are wrong. Today at the stadium all russian fs fans were reacted warm and explosively to everyone who deserved it, and people even supported all not the best perfomances.

evangeline

Record Breaker
You are wrong. Today at the stadium all russian fs fans were reacted warm and explosively to everyone who deserved it, and people even supported all not the best perfomances.

I agree. The problem with the men's event was that it was held during the afternoon of a weekday in Russia, which meant that the stadium was far from full for a good portion of the event as most people were presumably at work or in school (this was clearly discernable from the wide shots from CBC coverage--the rink was not full for the longest time). When the rink filled up more, it got much louder--just look at the pairs event, which was held in the evening and was much more full and loud.

jatale

On the Ice
Could someone educate me on how the draw is done. There are 5 groups of 6 skaters each. Do all 30 skaters pick from one bag, or does each group of 6 skaters pick for their number within their group? I'm assuming the later because all the top skaters have landed in the last 2 groups of 6 which leads me to believe the skaters are first split into their 5 groups and then the skaters draw for their number within that group. If that is how it works, then how are the 5 groups determined?

wallylutz

Medalist
Could someone educate me on how the draw is done. There are 5 groups of 6 skaters each. Do all 30 skaters pick from one bag, or does each group of 6 skaters pick for their number within their group? I'm assuming the later because all the top skaters have landed in the last 2 groups of 6 which leads me to believe the skaters are first split into their 5 groups and then the skaters draw for their number within that group. If that is how it works, then how are the 5 groups determined?

The draw is done for every top 10 ISU ranked skaters. That is the #1 rank to the #10 rank skaters/teams will be randomly drawn among themselves. Next would be #11 to #20 and so on so forth. The fact that last group had the most highly ranked skaters was partially a random result. In other disciplines, you'll notice some of the #1-4 ranked skaters actually drew to skate in the before last group as opposed to the last group.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
I will not be able to watch the short program tomorrow because I'll be at school, so I want to wish all the girls the best of luck and hope they all skate clean. :clap: Go Miki! :biggrin:

Bruin714

On the Ice
Can someone estimate what time (local) will Kanako skate tomorrow?

I want to wake up to watch the last two ladies group.

herro

On the Ice
Will people be kind enough to do play-by-plays for the SP? I know the protocols are released soon after the event is over, but I still love reading the reports here! Thanks guys!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I still think worlds as your first competition is a tall order though. Even for the great Yuna.

I think the long program could be the bigger challenge. The short should still be pretty easy for her. And if she does her usual short program she will have a huge lead on the others based on anything we have seen this season, and that would take some pressure off for the long as she would have more margin for error.

I remember the 98-99 season too when Kwan didnt do any real competition until Worlds other than U.S Nationals which was a super weak field that year (I dont count the stupid pro ams against 40 year old women who cant do any jumps) and everyone still expected her to run away with Worlds, which she probably would have if she didnt have the flu that week.

genki

On the Ice
I predict that Yuna will win short with a good margin, but splat fest in long due to lack of stamina.

So the final result will be, Miki, Mao, Yuna.( Well, Shinn Amano is here, so maybe, Miki, Yuna, Mao.)

yangjie

On the Ice
i hope all skaters will be judged fairly. the last championship(2010) was a awful judging.

Krislite

Medalist
i hope all skaters will be judged fairly. the last championship(2010) was a awful judging.

The word "fair" is thrown around here too often as if objective, incontrovertible marks were possible. We all know that in figure skating, "fair judging" means "judging in the way that I would judge them."

Cerulean

Rinkside
I predict that Yuna will win short with a good margin, but splat fest in long due to lack of stamina.

So the final result will be, Miki, Mao, Yuna.( Well, Shinn Amano is here, so maybe, Miki, Yuna, Mao.)

Genki, explain to me how Shinn Amano would affect the order. I don't know anything about him.